What's new

thinking of purchasing a svs subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Alright heres my question which svs sub would be a notch above my adire audio tempest that i built. The tempest is seeing 7.8 cubic ft after displacement and is tuned to 15.4hz. I used one of adires alignments. I am using 2 3inch flared ports for it. The sub is powered by an akai aa-1200 receiver from the 70s. The receiver is awesome and has no problems pushing the tempest to full output. If you know which one would be a step above my tempest please post. Thanks.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
A step in which direction? Are you looking for more output or lower bass? What is the Tempest lacking that you are looking to gain?

Michael

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Call Ron at SVS and he will tell you. He may even offer suggestions for you to try to improve what you have before you buy something else. So many variables, room size and such.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
im looking for a little more output in the low end. I dont know if i really can put the sub in a different spot. I might be able to tweak mine some more. This sub is in a 12x13x6 ft bed room. I have the sub next to the bed, and the sub is firing towards the wall which is about 2.5 feet away. The box is way too long to be able to have the sub fire at the bed. I use to have it downfiring but for some reason my room wasnt a big fan of that. I probably do need a new placement. Its pretty flat i would say not real boomy. The one problem is that in some spots of the room its like the sub is non existent. Its good when you are laying down on the bed but if u are sitting up in the middle of the bed theres not much there.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i have another question. I have a computer in the same room that is connected to my rx-v1400 through digital coaxial. I have the microphone for the 1400 and i can connect to my computer. Is there some software out there that will graph the frequency response of my sub in my room. I can easily send test tones through my computer to the receiver. Thats no problem. I just need a program that will show me whats got a huge dip so i can tweak my room.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there's some good software out there. But I just wanted to make sure you check the frequency response on your mic. If it's a vocal mic then it probably won't go down low enough to work well. You've probably already thought of this, but I thought I'd mention it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member

In that small of a room the middle of the bed is damn near the middle of the room. The middle of the room will have less output than the walls and/or corners. I imagine you'll have that issue with any sub.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
yeah that is what the problem is. Not much i can do about that. Most of it i feel is by the doorway of the room. Im only 18 so this is what i have to work with for now. The microphone i have is what yamaha uses for its ypao so i would say that it would have a good frequency response and go low enough. Im pretty sure that it would work alright. Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to do this? Thanks everyone.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You might try a smaller, higher tuned enclosure. I think that the EBS subs make the rest of the sound spectrum softer so that the low bass is louder. You want to design a traditional vented sub (using WinISD or some other free program but WinISD is really easy) that has a F3 around 18-20 Hz. That could buy you some extra output via the ports because the ports are actually augmenting the output at low frequencies, not simply contributing where the woofer starts to fall off. Then you can learn what the Tempest can really do. I am spending much of my time these days learning how to design better sounding subwoofers and speakers so that this summer or fall I can revamp my main speakers and build a subwoofer for my friend.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
hmm. I will have to think about it. So your telling me that if i make the enclosure bigger and tune it higher then its gonna help on the low end. I know the higher tuning u do the more output u get but if i tune around 18hz my sub is going to be below tuning freq around the 15 and 16hz area which i like. I dont have a subsonic filter at all so that is gonna kill the sub. Wouldnt it?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
No, actually it will wind up smaller but louder in the deep bass frequencies you can hear and not so much in the subsonics. It will still seem to move the house, though. Instead, let me design it for you. First I will model what you already have and then I will model what you will have with the new design. Then I'll post up pictures of the response graphs here so you will be able to see the difference. We're just sacrificing a few Hz of extension for some more output that you can hear and feel. You can't hear 16 Hz and you can only sort of feel it. As far as tuning higher going to kill the sub, that's very unlikely. In the previous ported box, your amplifier was able to drive the woofer to its maximum excursion, because the ports were not taking over from the woofer near the woofer's resonance frequency. Tuning closer to the woofer's resonance frequency controls wild motions of the driver because nearly all output is via the ports at or near the driver's resonance which is also the tuning point of the ports. The woofer is practically standing still and it is just the air in the ports that is resonating. In addition, my smaller box that I designed has a lower group delay peak at the tuning frequency. This means that your bass will overall be tighter and more musical/tuneful throughout the range, which is great if you like to really crank it up and rock out.

As you can see, there is very little difference in the output for the Adire EBS design and the one I designed. Yet the one I designed will be a lot better behaved because it is tuned slightly above the resonance frequency.

Joey_V

Second Unit
the part when u talked about sitting on the middle of your bed and not hearing the bass...

yeah - i had the same problem... my infinity would pound towards the other corner of the room (by the door) but i would feel almost nothing by where i sit in front of my computer - right next to the sub. i figured it must be the height of the sub... so i bought the svs and boy - i hear it/feel it at where i sit... at SAME volume levels. keep in mind that the svs is right where the infinity entra two 12" used to be.

maybe it has something to do with the height? i know some people like to mount their subs on platforms to get them to be taller. i dont have numbers to prove this - but i definitely noticed a difference.

i emailed tom about this beforehand, and he told me that there would be no guarantees that a taller sub would give me output where i sat - but he said that there was good chance for it.

Dorm Room (11x11x8)

Speaker Monitor Speaker Sub

c...........chair
l
o
s
e
t

door........B----E----D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks