What's new

SVS PC-2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Brian - The sweep I posted is from the Omni Mic (Gen 2) available for about $300 from Parts Express.

I started this in late 2015, and had to take some time off in 2016 when our son broke his neck (he is good now - back in college and recovered nicely).

We will be testing some additional subwoofers - right now, I have an Axiom EP-800 in the system and the next subwoofer on tap is a Power Sound Audio V-1801.

Part of the testing will be taking a subwoofer, running Audyssey on it in our pretty large room, then posting a 75 dB sweep at the listening position so we can see the in room extension.

The Omni Mic is a complete system, with each mic individually calibrated within the software. When you get the system, you put in the code on the mic, which has that mic's curve in the software, and then the system is calibrated to be accurate.

It's a lot easier than REW, and worth the $300 when testing out subs as often as we do here. I can run sweeps much more quickly with Omni mic than with REW.

Whether it's worth $300 to you is a tough call when, as others suggested, you can get by for about $100 with a mic and REW.
Omni Mic...great, thanks for the tip. I'm adding these suggestions to a spreadsheet for future reference.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Brian - In re-reading your review, you did say you had used XT-32 to calibrate your subs. Based on the size of your room along with the testing we have done on XT-32 here, I would estimate you are getting a solid 15 Hz floor from your pair of subs.

Some of the testing we did with XT-32 was extreme. For example, We took a single Chase Home Theater (when I was torturing myself, trying to be in the business side of audio) 18 inch sub and put it smack in the middle of our 25x24 foot room, ran XT-32, then took a sweep.

We still got a flat response to below 20 Hz using the WORST possible room location.

The basics we are finding: XT-32 and a powerful sub will give good bass. SVS even stopped selling their stand alone EQ because XT-32 is so good. Even XT will get the job done.
Did not run Audyssey. I found that I got pleasing results without it. I'm open to running it in the future, but I would like the ability to measure the results. I'll need some time to devote to doing that, and right now time is sparse with two youngsters. ;-) I'm glad to know of your experience using the Audyssey software and SVS subs. Thanks for the information.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Great thread Brian. I also recently added a sub to my GoldenEar Triton setup for similar reasons. Although I have Triton Ones and only the L/R pair. The rest of my system is the SuperCenter XXL and Aons for surrounds. I lived with just the Tritons, no other sub, for over a year. They definitely put out some bass.
Glad you like the review. I really wanted the Triton Twos, and then the Ones (when they were released later), but I knew I was aiming for 7 of the same speaker, which made only the Threes somewhat affordable. Sandy Gross told me of another GoldenEar customer who has 7 Triton Ones and a few GoldenEar subs. I'd love to hear that system.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This seems as good a place as any to post this .... My review sample of the PC-2000 is in mint condition with about 100 hours of use. It needs a good home for $400 plus shipping ... call it $450 shipped anywhere in the contiguous states.

Audible

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cohen
This seems as good a place as any to post this .... My review sample of the PC-2000 is in mint condition with about 100 hours of use. It needs a good home for $400 plus shipping ... call it $450 shipped anywhere in the contiguous states.

Hi Craig, would you be willing to ship to Canada?

Audible

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Cohen
That was quick! No problem Craig. I have a Velodyne DPS 12 at the moment but thought I could supplement it with the PC-2000. I'm in the Ottawa valley in Ontario. It's the best place for a home theatre, on 40 acres with no neighbours to annoy. Woohoo!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Brian Dobbs I’ve been looking at this cylinder SW. I have two reservations because we have cats. They will certainly jump on the top (it will be on the floor). Is it easy to topple? I believe the sub has a cloth covering. Will it be easy for the cats to scratch?

Following up on that, it looks like a lot of the subs have the speaker facing front and exposed. How delicate are the exposed speakers? Having cats requires some compromised but I wouldn’t give them up for anything.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
@Brian Dobbs I’ve been looking at this cylinder SW. I have two reservations because we have cats. They will certainly jump on the top (it will be on the floor). Is it easy to topple? I believe the sub has a cloth covering. Will it be easy for the cats to scratch?

Following up on that, it looks like a lot of the subs have the speaker facing front and exposed. How delicate are the exposed speakers? Having cats requires some compromised but I wouldn’t give them up for anything.
They are heavy. I doubt the cat would topple it when jumping off the top. The cats will definitely claw at the sides thought.

The driver in the cylinder faces down, and even though the driver faces forward in the cubes it will still have a cloth cover...but that will get roughed up by the cats. You could always face a cube driver towards the wall so they can't scratch at it. For the cylinders, you could put a protective fabric over top.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You could always face a cube driver towards the wall so they can't scratch at it.
Sorry Brian, but don't do that. It'll completely impede the driver's ability to do its job. Your suggestion of wrapping a cylinder sub would be an excellent solution. Something tough that can be replaced.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, and, the current SVS cube subs have a metal grill. That just occurred to me. Pretty much cat proof.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don’t see that in the pics. It looks like the speaker is exposed.
The default pics have the grills removed, but look at all of them on the product detail page and you'll see ones with the metal grills attached.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Correction, most of the cube subs have metal grills. Both 1000 and 2000 ones appear to have cloth grills, all others have metal ones.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The default pics have the grills removed, but look at all of them on the product detail page and you'll see ones with the metal grills attached.
I found this pic, but that grill looks like cloth.

My link doesn’t go directly to the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks