What's new

Speaker Wire Sheilding? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought a 100' spool of 14g in-wall speaker wire from partsexpress. I was planning on using this for bi-amping my speakers (currently bi-amped with Monster XP wire).

With the revamp of the room, the lengths are going to be much longer and MXP is too expensive, thus the PE wire.

Noted on the jacket, "unsheilded". I did not, nor ever consider weather or not speaker wire was shielded. I've pretty much always used Monster speaker wire and no where does is say, on the wire or their website, if their wire is sheilded.

Should I be concerned?
Should I return my spool and buy other wire?
If so, any recommendations...on the cheap?

Peace Out~:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Invariably it isn't shielded Ron and I can't think of a reason why you'd want it shielded. If anything, it'd add extra capacitance to the cable and there's no reason to give your amp or receiver more work. So don't sweat it.

Well I'd just stick with what I've got.

So you want cheap huh? How's about under $70 for 14 gauge at http://deepsurplus.site.yahoo.net/1014gaspwicl.html however it doesn't have a lot of strands, so it'll be a bit inflexible. But cheap it is.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Chu!

What I found at PE.com was THIS should work perfectly for bi-amping runs of about 25'. I'll stick with it and see how it works out.

Thanks for that other link, I'll bookmark that site for future use.

Peace Out~:D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s nothing to be concerned about, Ron. Amplifier outputs produce high-level signals, which are not especially prone to picking up EMI or RFI. That’s why it’s unnecessary to shield it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Hi Ron, how do you like your cables? I'm moving the av gear from below my diy screen to the back of the seating area and I'm also looking to bi-wire the mains. I currently have Kimber Cable but there is no way I can afford to go with Kiber at those lengths. My runs will be about 25ft each so I was leaning more towards 12ga instead of 14 - looking into wire at home depot, rat shack, and parts express so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks