What's new

6.5" bookshelf speakers + sub for solid PC setup? (1 Viewer)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Hi guys, just looking for some suggestions to upgrade my PC setup as it works but I'm wanting a bit clearer sound and less jank.

Currently, I have a little Klipsch Powergate dac/amp which seems to work fine but I'm not sure if it has a built-in crossover filter for the driven speaker outputs. Since this will always be paired with some kind of subwoofer I was wanting to make sure that the driven speakers had the usual 80Hz cutoff applied somehow. It does have a dedicated subwoofer output which is nice.

Speaker-wise, currently using a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 bookshelf speakers which seem 'fine' but they seem to generate some funky resonance on the wood speakers stands they're sitting on upon my desk (Rockville, have some hard foam 'pads' as isolation but they don't seem to do much). Up to now, I'd been sharing the home theater's HSU VTF-15h MK2 subwoofer as I have to have my PC in the same room. Of course this is not optimal since the sub placement for HT use does not sound great at the PC desk location.

That all being said, I've never tried any SVS products and had been considering picking up a pair of their Prime bookshelves and pair it with one of their subs but wanted some input before dropping cash.

Specific needs are: dac/amp thing must have optical input and dedicated subwoofer pre-out. preferably some way to ensure an 80Hz crossover for the speakers (only need 2, don't really have a good way to set up a 5.1 system for the PC currently).

1. Should I just get a cheap/used AVR to replace the Powergate since it runs very hot and I had to connect another piece of equipment to the PC as a fake microphone to keep the stupid Klipsch from auto-powering-off every few minutes if not in use?

2. before buying 2 new speakers should I wait for some foam isolation pads to arrive and try replacing the 4-per-stand pad-feet things and see if this addresses the resonance I'm hearing with the HSU bookshelves?

3. subwoofer recommendations? Space isn't a huge concern but I can't put another giant sub under the desk either (giant like the VTF-15h MK2's I have for the HT setup I mean - seems most of these 10-12" subs would be fine).

What do you guys think?

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
What sort of budget for the items?
ah no particular budget. Given the use case and that I have to share the room with my home theater, ~ $1500 for those SVS bookshelves + sub seemed fine assuming that they'll certainly sound better than the current setup.

If this Klipsch Powergate DAC/amp does have some built-in 80Hz crossover (I haven't been able to find any confirmation yet), I don't mind continuing to use it but it is annoying that I had to connect up an old Roland SC-55 mk2 to the computer's line-in (and keep that unmuted in Windows) to keep the thing from shutting off.

*edit*

That being said - if some better isolation and just adding a dedicated subwoofer would do the trick I'm fine with that too. Really just looking to get this PC setup pretty good for some music listening and occasional PC gaming.

The only real issue I have with the HSU bookshelf speakers is that I'm often noticing what sounds like resonant vibration either directly from them, or due to vibrations transferring into their stands and into the desk.

Subwoofer-wise, just seems logical that a dedicated PC sub will be a much better option than sharing one of the home theater subs 16-20 feet behind me especially since their placement is based on what sounds good for the HT seating, not the PC desk.

Attachments

• 1630340454680.png
    1630340454680.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can you determine if the rattle is actually a damaged/blown woofer in the speaker(s)? It seems odd that with that isolation it would rattle, but if it's running a full range signal, it's certainly possible. A proper crossover should fix that.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Can you determine if the rattle is actually a damaged/blown woofer in the speaker(s)? It seems odd that with that isolation it would rattle, but if it's running a full range signal, it's certainly possible. A proper crossover should fix that.
might be with a woofer. It's done this from day one (bought them brand new 2 years ago). I notice it mostly during loud spoken dialogue - doesn't sound like a blown woofer, more like the woofer is vibrating at the perfect resonant frequency to match the box, stand and desk somehow.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Take the speakers off the stands and put them directly on the desk, with the isolators under them and see if the rattle goes away. You need to figure out where the rattle is coming from.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Take the speakers off the stands and put them directly on the desk, with the isolators under them and see if the rattle goes away. You need to figure out where the rattle is coming from.
the isolators are glued to the stands - they just came that way. I've ordered some pads that should be here in a few days so I'll definitely give that a go.

*edit*
Just found a tone generator and noticed that the unwanted noise becomes audible from about 230 Hz to 245 Hz, and it's definitely the speaker (just one of them). If I hold the speaker and rotate it around, the unwanted buzz sound comes and goes - it sounds like something inside the box is vibrating.

*edit 2*
Removed the woofer, didn't see anything loose inside, reinstalled the woofer and no more buzz. Hmm.

In any case, what do you think subwoofer-wise? I guess sub selection doesn't matter so much as far as tonal matching right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks