1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker wire

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sai, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Sai

Sai Auditioning

A friend of mine just bought a house and needs help with speaker wire

It will be used for ceiling speakers so the wires will be in-wall. I read that it need to be sheild or something. I orginally planed to order from knuconeptz but the sheilded wires that they have cost a lot compared to partexpress. The only difference I see from knu and part. is that knu has over 200 strans while part. only have 19 strans for the same gauge wire. Will that make a difference in sq. All I know is the less strans the harder it is to bend.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sai,

The speaker wire only needs to be rated for in-wall use; it doesn’t need to be shielded. Get the cheapest in-wall wire you can find. Save the fancy, high-strand stuff for the fronts, where it matters. The rear speakers only handle ambient sounds, so they really don’t need special treatment or megabuck wiring. Get 12-ga. if the budget allows and if the equipment can accommodate it. If not, 14-ga. is fine.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I would also take the time and use wall plates with terminals on the wall near the receiver/amp. It will look nice and neat then. Not to mention you can easily label which wire goes where, so when it comes time to hook everything up there is no guess work. Hope your friend enjoys his new house.