What's new

SVS Speakers replaced by Klipsch Speakers (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Curious experience:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1H7V36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the above package, received it and then posted this review. Amazon is telling my they cannot allow it on their site but isn't being specific about why. Since this is about as innocuous as any review I've ever posted on Amazon or elsewhere, I'm completely perplexed. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's because I mentioned a lower price?

Powerful Speakers That Should Satisfy Most Residential Rooms

The Experience:
I'm new to the Klipsch family but, coming from SVS, I had high expectations. I received the [advertised] RP 280F towers but was secretly hoping for the upgraded RP 800F's many others seemed to have received. I noted the supplier having changed from Acoustic Sound Design [mentioned in some previous reviews] to Sound Distributors, Inc which may explain this. But hold on. Now I see the same package offered here on Amazon again by Acoustic Sound Design and for about $80.00 less than what I paid a few weeks ago and without the surprise upgrade? This does not sit well, which is why I've subtracted a star. Nonetheless, I got what I was promised and at the price I agreed to pay, so i can't be too upset.

The Speakers:
These speakers are excellent although not exactly mind blowing compared to the SVS Prime towers they are replacing. The highs are definitely more pronounced and clear. The increased sensitivity [87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V compared to 92 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V, [SVS and Klipsch respectably] is seriously evident. That's not a typo in the sensitivity specs for the RP280F's. My understanding is they tend to inflate their sensitivity specs, even though their speakers are already among the best in class for sensitivity. If Amazon allows it, then here's an explanatory excerpt from Audioholics.
============================================================================================
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion
Excerpt:
What helps to make the RP-8000F an easier load than many other speakers is its above average sensitivity. I measured its sensitivity as 92.1 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That isn’t bad; it’s better than most speakers in this type and price class. However, it is significantly below what Klipsch specifies for it which is 98 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That is quadruple the sensitivity that I measured. Klipsch is using an in-room estimation of sensitivity that factors in a quarter-space environment over a greater distance. It is true that the in-room sensitivity would be increased, but I think that should be stated in their specs if that is their reasoning for their sensitivity rating. We've seen this discrepancy in other Klipsch products so it doesn't seem to be a statistical outlier in how the brand rates sensitivity of their products.
===========================================================================================
I'm feeding them with an Acuras 200 WPC dedicated amp and they seem fine with that. I haven't been able to push them past maybe -5 dB for music and about reference [0dB] for movies, depending [of course] on the source and that's just the towers. The RP 450C is simply a monster in it's class. You won't be disappointed.

I doubt most would be disappointed with the RP280F's either. I like it loud and I'm certainly not.

Summary:
Quality speakers. I think I'm just beginning to discover their full capabilities as I'm still well within the break-in period. I'm a tad disappointed in the particular deal I got but this cannot be blamed on anyone but me. I rolled the dice at the wrong time. Not that I think the RP 800F's are that much better. I did my research and as far as I can tell it's just a redesigned "vented" tweeter. For the price, I doubt you can beat this package.

John,

How were these speakers delivered to you? I mean did they use UPS? I've looked at this package and why did you replace the SVS speakers? By the way, I see nothing wrong with your review, but perhaps they're sensitive about your pricing remarks.

@John Dirk

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Curious experience:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1H7V36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the above package, received it and then posted this review. Amazon is telling my they cannot allow it on their site but isn't being specific about why. Since this is about as innocuous as any review I've ever posted on Amazon or elsewhere, I'm completely perplexed. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's because I mentioned a lower price?

Powerful Speakers That Should Satisfy Most Residential Rooms

The Experience:
I'm new to the Klipsch family but, coming from SVS, I had high expectations. I received the [advertised] RP 280F towers but was secretly hoping for the upgraded RP 800F's many others seemed to have received. I noted the supplier having changed from Acoustic Sound Design [mentioned in some previous reviews] to Sound Distributors, Inc which may explain this. But hold on. Now I see the same package offered here on Amazon again by Acoustic Sound Design and for about $80.00 less than what I paid a few weeks ago and without the surprise upgrade? This does not sit well, which is why I've subtracted a star. Nonetheless, I got what I was promised and at the price I agreed to pay, so i can't be too upset.

The Speakers:
These speakers are excellent although not exactly mind blowing compared to the SVS Prime towers they are replacing. The highs are definitely more pronounced and clear. The increased sensitivity [87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V compared to 92 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V, [SVS and Klipsch respectably] is seriously evident. That's not a typo in the sensitivity specs for the RP280F's. My understanding is they tend to inflate their sensitivity specs, even though their speakers are already among the best in class for sensitivity. If Amazon allows it, then here's an explanatory excerpt from Audioholics.
============================================================================================
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion
Excerpt:
What helps to make the RP-8000F an easier load than many other speakers is its above average sensitivity. I measured its sensitivity as 92.1 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That isn’t bad; it’s better than most speakers in this type and price class. However, it is significantly below what Klipsch specifies for it which is 98 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That is quadruple the sensitivity that I measured. Klipsch is using an in-room estimation of sensitivity that factors in a quarter-space environment over a greater distance. It is true that the in-room sensitivity would be increased, but I think that should be stated in their specs if that is their reasoning for their sensitivity rating. We've seen this discrepancy in other Klipsch products so it doesn't seem to be a statistical outlier in how the brand rates sensitivity of their products.
===========================================================================================
I'm feeding them with an Acuras 200 WPC dedicated amp and they seem fine with that. I haven't been able to push them past maybe -5 dB for music and about reference [0dB] for movies, depending [of course] on the source and that's just the towers. The RP 450C is simply a monster in it's class. You won't be disappointed.

I doubt most would be disappointed with the RP280F's either. I like it loud and I'm certainly not.

Summary:
Quality speakers. I think I'm just beginning to discover their full capabilities as I'm still well within the break-in period. I'm a tad disappointed in the particular deal I got but this cannot be blamed on anyone but me. I rolled the dice at the wrong time. Not that I think the RP 800F's are that much better. I did my research and as far as I can tell it's just a redesigned "vented" tweeter. For the price, I doubt you can beat this package.
You can't include external links in a review. I don't think you can even include an Amazon link, you have to use the product code.

I also don't know why you'd move from SVS to Klipsch.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You can't include external links in a review. I don't think you can even include an Amazon link, you have to use the product code.

I also don't know why you'd move from SVS to Klipsch.

Fine on the first observation, and thanks. If that's the problem then I don't understand why they don't just say so. I didn't know.

I still have the SVS Primes so maybe [based on your thoughts] I'll pull them back out and do a side by side comparo. Subjectively, I'll say this. I'm happy with the Klipsch's. More accurately, my ears are. I'm still breaking them in but my initial thoughts are they offer way more "punch" and headroom than the SVS Primes did. I haven't been able to push them nearly as far [as I could the Primes] without my ears telling me to take it down a notch.

I also considered the new SVS Prime Pinnacles [remember me asking you about that] and their Ultra towers. You didn't seem too impressed with the Pinnacles compared to the original Prime towers and the Ultras wouldn't fit my room as I need my towers to lay flat.

Talk to me , @JohnRice

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fine on the first observation, and thanks. If that's the problem then I don't understand why they don't just say so. I didn't know. still have the SVS Primes so maybe [based on your thoughts] I'll pull them back out and do a side by side comparo. Subjectively, I'll say this. I'm happy with the Klipsch's. More accurately, my ears are. I'm still breaking them in but my initial thoughts are they offer way more "punch" and headroom than the SVS Primes did. I haven't been able to push them nearly as far [as I could the Primes] without my ears telling me to take it down a notch.

I also considered the new SVS Prime Pinnacles [remember me asking you about that] and their Ultra towers. You didn't seem too impressed with the Pinnacles compared to the original Prime towers and the Ultras wouldn't fit my room as I need my towers to lay flat.

Talk to me , @JohnRice
@John Dirk

John, can you answer my question about how they were delivered?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John,

How were these speakers delivered to you? I mean did they use UPS? I've looked at this package and why did you replace the SVS speakers? By the way, I see nothing wrong with your review, but perhaps they're sensitive about your pricing remarks.

@John Dirk

Hey @Robert Crawford - Sorry for the late response. I didn't see this until just now.

My package was delivered via UPS but two days past the projected date. That's not something I appreciate as it can [and did] affect my schedule.

The SVS Prime Towers are awesome for small to medium sized rooms. I wanted something that was reputed to be suitable for larger rooms. Honestly, my room is likely more accurately characterized as "medium" at 21.5ft Length, 10.6 ft Width and with a standard 8 ft ceiling. When i decided to upgrade, the SVS Ultra towers were at the top of my list but, unfortunately, they have the side-mounted woofers which don't work for me since my towers need to lay flat. As you can see, vertical towers would obstruct my view of the screen.

upload_2019-8-18_19-48-24.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can’t you stand up the speakers to the sides of the screen? As they are, they’re so close that the width of your soundstage will be extremely limited. Probably should be in another thread, though.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Can’t you stand up the speakers to the sides of the screen? As they are, they’re so close that the width of your soundstage will be extremely limited. Probably should be in another thread, though.

That's something I've been trying to experiment with a bit more but my initial attempts didn't work out as my screen was obstructed. I'll give it another try with only audio in mind. If the difference is as pronounced as you suggest then I'll consider making some permanent adjustments. I asked SVS about this setup years ago when I purchased the Prime Towers and they said it was perfectly fine.

If this needs to be in another thread, MODS, please feel free to advise.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's something I've been trying to experiment with a bit more but my initial attempts didn't work out as my screen was obstructed. I'll give it another try with only audio in mind. If the difference is as pronounced as you suggest then I'll consider making some permanent adjustments. I asked SVS about this setup years ago when I purchased the Prime Towers and they said it was perfectly fine.

If this need to be in another thread, MODS, please feel free to advise.
If it was me, I’d have an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind it. @Dave Upton is the person to ask about that.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If it was me, I’d have an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind it. @Dave Upton is the person to ask about that.

Well, because you are @JohnRice I decided to test your suggested changes tonight, even though it has already been a challenging day. After church I had two cars to wash plus a bunch of yard work.

Anyway. I can see what you mean by the limited sound stage. The difference is clear and impressive but the problem of screen obstruction still remains. For now at least, I think I'm leaving things as you suggested. I have a trip coming up. After that, I may take a closer look.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hey @Robert Crawford - Sorry for the late response. I didn't see this until just now.

My package was delivered via UPS but two days past the projected date. That's not something I appreciate as it can [and did] affect my schedule.

The SVS Prime Towers are awesome for small to medium sized rooms. I wanted something that was reputed to be suitable for larger rooms. Honestly, my room is likely more accurately characterized as "medium" at 21.5ft Length, 10.6 ft Width and with a standard 8 ft ceiling. When i decided to upgrade, the SVS Ultra towers were at the top of my list but, unfortunately, they have the side-mounted woofers which don't work for me since my towers need to lay flat. As you can see, vertical towers would obstruct my view of the screen.

View attachment 61950
Yeah, I'm thinking of replacing my three main Polk speakers I had forever in my new 4K/Dolby Atmos HT that I have in my home office. It's a small room which is why I'm asking some questions. It's something I might wait to do later on if I come across another speaker sale.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, I'm thinking of replacing my three main Polk speakers I had forever in my new 4K/Dolby Atmos HT that I have in my home office. It's a small room which is why I'm asking some questions. It's something I might wait to do later on if I come across another speaker sale.

For home office Atmos use I strongly recommend Pioneer Andrew Jones. Either the speakers with built in Atmos upfiring units or adding the Atmos pucks on top of speakers you already own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NPHO8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NPIM4

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I remain unimpressed with reflecting Atmos speakers. Part of the issue might be that I have those in my main system (eventually going whole hog with the correct implementation, once/if I get motivated) and my main speakers create an extremely open soundstage, so what effect I get from the reflecting ones might be less than in most cases.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
In general, you want to make sure that your speakers are at least as far apart as they are from the primary listening position to image properly. Putting them behind an AT screen is optimal because you don't have the conflicting priorities of screen size and speaker placement which are often at odds. In my room, an AT screen would be much better but isn't feasible, so my speakers somewhat obstruct the screen for the viewers on the edge of the room. It's something that I will be doing differently in my next house for sure.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In general, you want to make sure that your speakers are at least as far apart as they are from the primary listening position to image properly. Putting them behind an AT screen is optimal because you don't have the conflicting priorities of screen size and speaker placement which are often at odds. In my room, an AT screen would be much better but isn't feasible, so my speakers somewhat obstruct the screen for the viewers on the edge of the room. It's something that I will be doing differently in my next house for sure.
I could have sworn you had an AT screen. I wonder who I'm thinking of.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I came across a speaker sale. I bought (2) Prime Tower speakers with slight blemishes and 1 Prime Center without any blemishes for $1000 from SVS which saves me $350. I wasn't happy with the performances of my old Polk speakers as my front 3 speakers. Those Polk speakers were at least 20 years old so they're officially retired for good.:)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Just seeing this [somehow] but we are in the same position. My room will not allow for an AT screen either. I've stood my towers up as @JohnRice suggested and used the lens shifting and zoom features of my projector to bring it all together. It sounds better and the screen obstruction has been minimized to the point of being negligible. I'm probably sacrificing a wee bit of picture quality, but...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I seem to have a real knack for annoying people, but I prefer to understand how things are supposed to be, and then make decisions based on real world limitations. For example, take Dave's comment about spacing of the front speakers. In my HT, my #1 priority is two channel music, so my front speakers are a little closer together than ideal, since two channel music doesn't use a center speaker. I'm OK with that, because I make that choice out of understanding. @John Dirk , you know how frustrated I get regarding placement of Atmos speakers. People simply do not want to know how that should be done. I still haven't done it fully myself, but again, that's my decision. I do plan on implementing a proper 7.1.4 system eventually, like you already have.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've got 5.1.2 Atmos in my small office, using upfiring "Atmos-enabled" speakers. The room has a low ceiling, so they work rather well. It's in the part of the house that was a mobile home, so ceiling speakers are out of the question, at least for the time being.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've got 5.1.2 Atmos in my small office, using upfiring "Atmos-enabled" speakers. The room has a low ceiling, so they work rather well. It's in the part of the house that was a mobile home, so ceiling speakers are out of the question, at least for the time being.
The same for me in my small home office in which I'm very happy with the Atmos performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks