What's new

Speaker suggestions for HT w/Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all. Had to register to hopefully gain some insight into the audiophile world of speakers. I currently have the Bose Acousticmass and I am looking to upgrade (not price wise) due to the apparent shortcomings. I have listened to the Athena Audition series at best Buy and liked those. I have a dealer local that has the Paradigm (not sure which) so I may check those out.

80% of the time I watch movies/TV on HDTV centered around my Onkyo SR600. When listening to music the other 20% I like Hip-Hop, R&B, Reggae, Disco, Top 40, Easy listening, etc, kinda mixed. The Bose are nice but seems to me that I'm missing some highs and some deep mids. I just picked up the Pioneer Eltie 45AV and now can enjoy SACD & DVD-A on my Onkyo and realize my Bose aren't cutting it.

So am I wise to look at the Athenas? I want to keep around the $1000 or so area for the 5.1 system. If possible, I'm also slightly limited in options as i don't know if I could drop $1k online fro speakers i can't hear in person. So some brands may not be options. I want mostly for HT but that sound great to listening to SACD and DVD-A. Hope to learn a little :)

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to bump, I was just hoping that someone here would chime in on thoughts about Athena or Paradigm speakers or any other under $1200 HT set up advice for use with an Onkyo.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have a Paradigm setup, Atoms for mains and surrounds and the CC-170(center) and it's sounds GREAT! For $600 I don't think that I could do much better. I use them for mostly movies, but they sound great for music to. Check out Recommended Paradigm Systems, you can find some nice systems that will fit in your budget.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
If you are willing to take a chance on internet direct.....

I would look at Ascend Acoustics and Axiom Audio.

Both these internet direct companies offer tremendous value, and their speakers are often compared to others costing 2 to three times as much. Another company to look at is also AV123.com I like their Reference line, but it is considerably more money.

Do a search for all the feedback, high praise from those that took a chance, also great professional reviews. The companies offer 30 day money back policies.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Curtis in recommending that you check out these companies. There is a new Rocket package (AV123), the ELT, that will soon be available for $900. I heard this at their Dallas road show and consider it tremendous value at the price point. You can see some pictures of the ELT system ; but you should be aware that the color is not as bright as a few of these indicate. I have not seen or heard everything in this price range, but I’d be quite surprised to more value elsewhere, especially in the cabinets, where the workmanship is quite good (for $900).

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I checked out a local dealer who carried the Paradigm speakers and was impressed with them. I was going to get the Atom set, but the surrounds were smaller then I wanted so I got the Titan set. 2 Titans front, CC-170 Center, 2 ADP-170 for the surround and the PDR-10. Wow. After 24 hours of break in I could not be more pleased. Watching Attack of the Clones and Jurassic Park was something to be enjoyed. I definitely hear a difference between them and my old Bose Aoustimass 15 setup that cost $200 more. The Paradigm system with front speaker stands was around $1150. I'll put them up on eBay to recoup some of the cash :) The Paradigm's are sweet, a very clean image, I am also very impressed with the 10" sub. I wasn't sure of the 10" would be sufficient but as a listener of Hip Hop (among other genres) I was delighted to hear the lows the sub could hit. I'm waiting to try Saving Private Ryan for the opening beach invasion.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
One last question- I've read and it's also mentioned in the Paradigm manual about double wiring the speakers to obtain better sound (?) I was wondering other's experience or opinions about wiring the speakers that way. Is there an obvious advantage/difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks