What's new

Problem with my receiver (1 Viewer)

vote4pedro

Agent
Real Name
Pedro
I can't get any sound out of my receiver. It's a five-year-old Onkyo HT-RC360.

I've tried every possible input. There's not even static on the FM tuner.

The picture passes through fine. Just the audio is out.

It started doing this a couple weeks ago. At first, I could turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and it would work. Now that doesn't even work.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Or is it probably just dead?

If it's time for a new receiver, any suggestions would be welcome. Preferably under $400. I really only need a 5.1 system. I have B&W 603 speakers in the front and 601 speakers in the rear. Don't remember the model # on the center channel.

Thanks

vote4pedro

Agent
Real Name
Pedro
Yes, I believe it would. I don't have time to dig for the serial number, but I'm sure it would fall within those years.

Given that it's a known problem, I'd rather just upgrade to a more reliable brand. I might get my old one fixed if it's free and move it to another room. Any suggestions for new units are appreciated.

Thanks

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had my TX-NR1008 repaired under that program. The repair and shipping to and from the facility are free if the receiver qualifies. They send a pre-paid shipping box to you. Mine was sent and returned by Fed-Ex Ground. i believe the warranty is extended to 2018. I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-A3080 while it was being repaired, but the actual repair time was relatively short: about three weeks. I'm in Canada, though, so repair times may be different in the States.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I had my TX-NR1008 repaired under that program as well. It was probably just under 6 years old.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The serial number should be on back of the unit I believe. They sent a box with prepaid shipping and I sent it out and the day after they got it they sent it back out.

vote4pedro

Agent
Real Name
Pedro
My receiver is covered under the program. I can either return it for a free repair, or they're offering to trade up to a TX-NR646 for $199. Look like that's roughly half price. I'm tempted to trade up for the wifi and bluetooth. But a little hesitant to spend any more $ on an Onyko. Doesn't seem like they're the most reliable receiver.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
a little hesitant to spend any more $ on an Onyko. Doesn't seem like they're the most reliable receiver.

I dunno. I've been very impressed with Onkyo's commitment to stand behind their product shown through that program to repair..quickly...those units which fall under that recall program. Read that thread and see how quickly they have satisfied their customers.

Personally, I own a Denon X2000 which I've been very happy with.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
That recall sounds like for hdmi issues? Not sure how that would affect the original poster if he can't even get sound out of the fm tuner? One time when I was having problem with some speakers not working on my NAD amp, I ran cables from my preout connections (if you have them or maybe a second zone output) to a tape deck's input to see if the deck was receiving any sound. You would see the meters move if you tried to record that input.

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
I can't get any sound out of my receiver. It's a five-year-old Onkyo HT-RC360.

I've tried every possible input. There's not even static on the FM tuner.

The picture passes through fine. Just the audio is out.

It started doing this a couple weeks ago. At first, I could turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and it would work. Now that doesn't even work.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Or is it probably just dead?

If it's time for a new receiver, any suggestions would be welcome. Preferably under $400. I really only need a 5.1 system. I have B&W 603 speakers in the front and 601 speakers in the rear. Don't remember the model # on the center channel.

Thanks
I have a TX-NR-1007 that did the same thing. Crutchfield suggested I check with Onkyo and it was covered by an extended warranty. They sent a shipping box and covered all shipping costs. I had it back in about 2 weeks good as new. I was glad because I really liked the receiver. It has since been replaced by a Denon AVRX 3300 to get the HD video switching but in all other respects the Onkyo is the better receiver. To be fair, the Onkyo cost almost twice of what i paid for the Denon and it probably weighs about twice as much too. It is now the heart of my bedroom setup. I just had to replace the remote as the off button died on it.

Scott

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott! Member since '98...and three posts, eh?!?

You must fall into that classification of "strong, silent type." :D

vote4pedro

Agent
Real Name
Pedro
I went ahead and did the upgrade. It sounds better than the old unit if I remember right. But that could just be because I've been listening to the TV speakers for the last month. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks