What's new

Old speakers & HT (1 Viewer)

schatham

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Chatham
I've got several speakers that I've had in various stereo & Home Theater systems for the last several years. Just got into Blu Ray over the last few months & wanting to update (actually my wife wants "smaller" speakers) the system, but do it on a budget. Current system: Onkyo DS-595 reciever Vizio HD TV B&W CC#3 Center speaker Klipsch KSW10 Subwoofer Current front speakers: Bose 301 Series IV Current Rear speakers Bose 201 Series III I also have some other speakers from old stereo systems that aren't being used currently. Those are: Polk RTA-12's (these are humongous), and Polk R1's. Cable, I'm using Monster on the front, and 18 gauge on the rear. The TV's TOSLink goes to the receiver's Digital In jack. Not certain of settings within the receiver. Don't want to start a flame with any of them, but just looking to replace the Bose speakers with something smaller & better. I do want to keep the Onkyo receiver, Klipsch subwoofer & the B&W center speaker. I know that in & of itself may be insulting to purists, but as I've gotten older, I can't tell the difference the way I used to in having things matchy-matchy. Room size is about 16' x 20' and the stereo & TV is located at the end of the 16' section. There's one doorway that comes in from the exterior. Other entryways do not have doors & the entryway at the rear of the room is about 6' wide. Sheetrock on the walls, glass is on a double sized door about halfway down the right side wall. Would love to keep the cost as low as I can, the speaker size fairly small, and not trade off quality. I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, recommendations or thoughts as to what options I might have. Thanks! SC

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What kind of a budget are we considering? And how big is small :confused: :) The B & W center is a very good speaker but I'm not sure what speakers would be a decent match for it. May we have the model number please? :crazy: Most tv's will only send a stereo signal through it toslink output (but some will send a 5.1 signal). Model number again? If you sell the humongous Polks (and RT1's) and the two sets of Bose speakers it will give you more money to spend on the others.

schatham

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Chatham
gene c said:
What kind of a budget are we considering? And how big is small
On the first part, I have to admit I'm an awful cheapskate. But realistically, I'd like to keep it under $450. The farther the better. As far as small, I don't think they make 'em as small as she'd like them to be, but I'm thinking something about the size of a 2 liter drink or maybe a little smaller.
The B & W center is a very good speaker but I'm not sure what speakers would be a decent match for it. May we have the model number please?
The model # on it is CC3.
Most tv's will only send a stereo signal through it toslink output (but some will send a 5.1 signal). Model number again?
Right now, it's a Vizio VO320E. I checked thru the menu on it, and it's got SRS TSHD (set to on); and the Digital Audio Out has either Dolby Digital or PCM (set to Dolby Digital). We will probably move up in size on this, but the Vizio has been a great TV for us.
If you sell the humongous Polks (and RT1's) and the two sets of Bose speakers it will give you more money to spend on the others.
I'd love to be able to use the RTA 12's, but I'm sure THAT'S not going to happen. Not sure of how easy they would be able to sell (or what they'd bring). If I could sell them, that'd help a lot. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need some more info.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks like the B&W DM 302 is the mayching speaker to the cc3 but at 12 1/2" X 7" wide X 8" they're probably too big. They usually run about $100-$125 a pair for decent used ones on ebay. I'm not familiar enough with B&W's sound to give a good alternative from another brand. B&W does make some new small satillite speakers that might be worth a look. I have no idea how these will work with the B&W center but for $100 a pair they're very good speakers, and they're available at BestBuy so if you have on enear you can go look at them and easily return them if you don't care for them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+2-Way+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/1148218.p?id=1218224799780&skuId=1148218 The Polk RTi4's are very good also (I used to have a pair. Might be a bit too bright for the B&W though. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB/ref=sr_1_56?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1316207755&sr=1-56 The Infinity Primus 143 is a smaller bookshelf (12 X 9 X 9-maybe a 3 litre bottle :) ) but I really like Infinity speakers. I have some Infinity Beta's myself. They have a softer and warmer sound than Polk generally has. And the price is right with free shipping from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0044D3R7M If I can think of anything else I'll post them.

schatham

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Chatham
gene c said:
It looks like the B&W DM 302 is the mayching speaker to the cc3 but at 12 1/2" X 7" wide X 8" they're probably too big. They usually run about $100-$125 a pair for decent used ones on ebay. I'm not familiar enough with B&W's sound to give a good alternative from another brand. B&W does make some new small satillite speakers that might be worth a look.
I'm looking at both the DM302 & the satellite speakers. I've been extremely happy with the center speaker. The only reason I didn't buy B&W's to match the center was the place I bought it only had the center one available when I bought it. In fact, the Klipsch sub & the B&W Center were both bought at the same time, and I liked how they sounded together. The center had a lot of power to it without the tinniness, distortion or the rumble of the low end; the sub had the rumble I wanted for but you didn't get a lot of the higher, muted sound in it that you can pick up in some. In other words, they both did what they should've done without trying to be something they weren't.
I have no idea how these will work with the B&W center but for $100 a pair they're very good speakers, and they're available at BestBuy so if you have on enear you can go look at them and easily return them if you don't care for them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+2-Way+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/1148218.p?id=1218224799780&skuId=1148218
There's a BB locally that I went by Saturday to check these out. I liked them, but they're a little bigger than I'd really want them to be. The trip to BB itself was another issue. I don't know if it's just me, or if it's this store, or the chain in general, but when I walked in (about 90 minutes before closing), there's about 20 blue shirts near the entrance, all in the same conversation. Long story short - uninhabited audio area, nothing labeled or priced, 4-5 salespeople in the area (only one waiting on someone, the rest are in conversation). I give him the SKU number you gave me & asked if it was the one they have hooked up & get the price. It is the speaker. I told him that I was looking for something not that big, but that I wouldn't lose a lot of the performance out of. He really had no recommendations of speakers or speaker systems, and couldn't have been more uninterested in even fielding any questions I had, much less answering them. In fact, before I could ask anything about some of the Infinity or the Bose speaker systems they carried, he "recommended" that I go to Radio Shack to find a speaker the size I was looking for. You know, I realize this wasn't going to be a $500+ sale & that he makes maybe 5% commission, BUT - of the audio equipment I've bought since the 70's I can tell you the names of the people I've dealt with & bought audio equipment from (unfortunately, none of those businesses have survived the last recession). I've dealt with 5 different people over that period, and have bought a BUNCH of audio & video equipment. That said, just like nobody likes having their baby called "ugly" (even if it is); nobody wants to go into a retail business & be treated like you're ignorant, to be ignored - or even worse - to be treated like you are in interruption. I definitely got the feeling that I'd brought a skunk to their garden party. Although it's convenient, and maybe cheaper, I'll probably not be buying from BB anytime soon! That's unfortunate, but I'm happy that business is doing so well for them! I hope that that's just a local thing & not how they are nationwide. There's an HH Gregg nearby too (never been) but I may check out. Using the Lennon song ("Help!") in commercials hasn't made me want to go either.
The Polk RTi4's are very good also (I used to have a pair. Might be a bit too bright for the B&W though. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB/ref=sr_1_56?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1316207755&sr=1-56
They didn't have these, but had a Polk surround system that I really liked. I like the RT1's that I've got, and they may be a decent rear set. I'm definitely partial to Polk. Those RT1's are about the size I'd like (although they're not small enough to suit my wife....). As I have gotten older, brighter has been better. Nearly 40 years of bars, clubs & concerts have had cumulative effects & I just can't hear the same things in the same ranges I could 15 years ago.
The Infinity Primus 143 is a smaller bookshelf (12 X 9 X 9-maybe a 3 litre bottle :) ) but I really like Infinity speakers. I have some Infinity Beta's myself. They have a softer and warmer sound than Polk generally has. And the price is right with free shipping from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0044D3R7M
I really like these & had a set of Infinitys several years ago & the price is really good. I've not been able to find any locally yet though. Although some don't like them, I've also looked at a couple others - some Yamaha speakers (I've never owned them, but have owned guitars by them forever), and I'm asking a friend about some Bose (I do like their satellite speakers that you can direct the sound, which is nice in a room that is not four solid walls). This is a side question - and may be will help me address part of what my wife doesn't like about speakers, wires & mounting them all over the place. I honestly think they could make a speaker the size of a quarter that has the response of my Polk RTA 12's, but my wife wouldn't like them because you could SEE them. Many speakers come with pretty cool looking finishes, etc - which doesn't help you camouflage them that well. Although I probably wouldn't want to do this on a really nice set - I'm not above considering painting or covering them (and the hardware on the walls). My wife's even gone so far as to suggest placing the sub inside a basket with no bottom or hiding the speakers in a similar way. Since most of what covers speakers is plastic or a laminate of some sort, has anyone ever re-covered speakers with paint and/or cloth on the grills to hide them better? Although I'm sure someone's done it, I don't want to blaze that trail only to find out it doesn't work. Many many thanks for your thoughts thus far! SC

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your experience at BestBuy is why Amazons stock is at $235 a share. And it's another reason why we usually recomend internet-direct speaker companies like SVS, Aperion, Axiom, etc. I don't think they still do it but Ascend Acoustics would build you a pair of speakers in the natual MDF. That way you could paint them any color you liked. Not a fan of in-wall speakers but you sound like their target buyer. WAF to the max! A basket for the subwoofer? :confused: . I better leave that one alone ;) . Have you considered on-wall speakers? They're usually smaller and thinner than regular speakers. I'm using a pair of white Infinity OWS-1's for surrounds in my family room. Very nice sound but not much bass. Kinda big at 9 X 14 X 5 though. They do sorta disappear on my white walls. I don't see any reason why you couldn't paint a speaker as long as it wasn't a very expensive one. Not sure what to tell you about smaller speakers. Try Definitive Technology's Cinema 600's or 800's.

schatham

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Chatham
I actually thought the basket over the sub wasn't a bad idea..... It's a cube, the speaker's on the bottom...... Looking at the infinity OWS - kinda scarce on Ebay & it looks like it's not in production anymore. I may see what sort of cube speakers that have a lot of punch are available. Sad to see though the (lack of) response at BB & that it's just not a local phenomenon. I guess it's great to have business be so good you can alienate your base. But, when your customers have to make the choice between shopping them & being stabbed, and they're choosing to be stabbed, it's not a sustainable business model & is only going to work when they can monopolize the market. Thanks again for the help!! SC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks