What's new

Samsung HT j5500 system - can wireless speakers be added? (2 Viewers)

CTom59

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Hi. I have a five-year-old Samsung HT-J5500W 5.1-Channel Smart Blu-ray Home Theater System installed. It includes Blu-ray disc player/AV receiver,

• Speaker system: main channel speaker: 8.34 cm x 10.1 cm x 17.1 cm / 500 g
  • Speaker system: center channel speaker: 26.9 cm x 10.1 cm x 8.8 cm / 600 g
  • Speaker system: subwoofer: 25.5 cm x 25.5 cm x 29.7 cm / 4.4 kg
I am a dummy at home theatre systems. I have not watched a DVD in over 4 years. I want to upgrade to a wireless speakers system. At least I want the four smaller speakers wireless. The only speaker that works regularly is the center channel speaker. My questions are should I purchase an entire new system with wireless speakers? Would the existing Blu-ray player/AV receiver work with wireless speakers? Thank you for your suggestions/advice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Really, wireless is oversold, at least in home theater systems. Trying to retrofit wireless speakers into an existing system is expensive, if you have any hope of it operating seamlessly. Do a search for an article I wrote on the topic (using my name) for more details.

A few major companies like Yamaha and Denon offer wireless rear speakers (only, not the front L/R) that work via wifi, but they are proprietary systems with no options for speakers except the ones they offer. So yes, this will require a new system from top to bottom.

Of course, there are wireless HTIB systems, but the great majority of them can’t muster more than a 65% approval rating (combined 4-5 star reviews) from sites like Amazon.

Another option is a WiSA system.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Wayne pretty much hit the nail on the head in his response. If you want to upgrade, you are going to have to replace everything that was part of that HTIB system.

If you are looking for something quick, easy, and inexpensive, then here is my suggestion, but you will have to wire the front speakers and subwoofer:

Denon AVR-S570BT 5.2 receiver: $299.00 at Amazon
Energy 5.1 Classic Home Theater Speaker System: $189.99 at Woot (clearance item, so act fast)*
Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Kit: $149.99 at Best Buy

Optional:
Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray Player: $69.99 at Best Buy
Roku Streaming Stick 4K: $49.99 at Amazon
OR
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K: $22.99 at Amazon

You will also need HDMI cables, a subwoofer cable, and speaker wire.

*If sold out, then Monoprice HT-35 Premium 5.1 Home Theater System with Powered Subwoofer: $160.96 at Monoprice

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks