What's new

New HT project in the gym (1 Viewer)

Fraschumi

Auditioning
Real Name
Francesco Santi
Hi,

I have built a small gym in my apartment and I would like to add some AV to it.
I have the following constraints:
  • only one wall available for the screen (about 2x3m or 6.5x10 feet available surface)
  • limited budget for the whole project (about 1k)
  • the kids play in the room (sometimes also with balls or throwing objects) so it needs to be safe for them and the devices
  • neighbours are noise sensitive
  • It is meant to be used during workouts to follow instructions or watch some sports/movies during steady cardio training (a better HT setup already exists in the living room so no need for high-end quality components)
Based on my limitations and requirements I came up with the following initial setup idea:
  • A projector on the ceiling at about 2m or 6.5 feet distance from the wall (Epson CO-FH02?)
  • A rolling projector screen on the wall (about 70-80 diagonal with 16:9 ratio)
My biggest challenge is the sound.
A soundbar would be ideal (Sony HT-SF150?) but the problem is that I do not want to have it fixed on the wall for the following reasons:
  • The kids can hit it and damage it
  • Having a fixed black bar in the middle of an empty white wall is going to look ugly
  • Having a fixed black bar in the middle of an empty wall would mean I cannot use the wall anymore for excercises
Questions:
  1. Is there a projector screen which can hold a soundbar so that I can pull it down and up all together?
  2. Would a pair of wireless stereo speaker be a good alternative?
  3. Headphones? Not my preferred option when moving and sweating a lot
Thank you!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given your constraints and a desire to try projection, I'd suggest just going w/ a white wall -- maybe it needs to be (re)painted -- for the "screen" and save the cost (and potential hassle/childproofing) of a screen for whatever else instead.

I don't know of a good alternative for the sound part, but sure, (probably wireless) headphones would be one option... at least for some instances like your workouts perhaps. Maybe you'll even find (wireless) headphones to be the best compromise for nearly all uses of that space (that involves A/V). And then, maybe just use something low budget and maybe readily portable (so you only set it up and use it on occasion?) for the kids or something...

_Man_

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
How about mounting the sound bar to the ceiling in front of the screen tube, and angle it down to your liking?

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
If you are in an apt. Watch out.
Get an ok from the Mgr. Before
you do too much. And headphones
may be the way to go. So people next to you
don't complain. Good luck.

Fraschumi

Auditioning
Real Name
Francesco Santi
Given your constraints and a desire to try projection, I'd suggest just going w/ a white wall -- maybe it needs to be (re)painted -- for the "screen" and save the cost (and potential hassle/childproofing) of a screen for whatever else instead.

I don't know of a good alternative for the sound part, but sure, (probably wireless) headphones would be one option... at least for some instances like your workouts perhaps. Maybe you'll even find (wireless) headphones to be the best compromise for nearly all uses of that space (that involves A/V). And then, maybe just use something low budget and maybe readily portable (so you only set it up and use it on occasion?) for the kids or something...

_Man_
The problem is the wall is white but painted with a rough style (rubbed in English?).
Since it is a rental flat I do not want to repaint it.

Fraschumi

Auditioning
Real Name
Francesco Santi
How about mounting the sound bar to the ceiling in front of the screen tube, and angle it down to your liking?
I thought so too, but reading on the Internet, the experts strongly discourage to place the SB on top of the screen...

Fraschumi

Auditioning
Real Name
Francesco Santi
If you are in an apt. Watch out.
Get an ok from the Mgr. Before
you do too much. And headphones
may be the way to go. So people next to you
don't complain. Good luck.
Yes, it's a rental apt and I want/must the least amount of structural changes possible to it and avoid disturbing the neighbors.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, this does not sound like a desirable situation for projection. That requires low light levels to get anything reasonably decent, image wise. Do you want the room dark?

Fraschumi

Auditioning
Real Name
Francesco Santi
Honestly, this does not sound like a desirable situation for projection. That requires low light levels to get anything reasonably decent, image wise. Do you want the room dark?
The room is dark. I can adjust the light with a dimmer.
I don't need too much light for indoor cycling.
A bit more for weight lifting but how much is the picture going to be affected by some artificial light?

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Yes, it's a rental apt and I want/must the least amount of structural changes possible to it and avoid disturbing the neighbors.
One thing you may want to look into. Some kind of stand. Where you do not have to put any holes ect into the wall. I know some apts mgr's will go Bozo. If you put holes ect into the walls. And look into a very good headphone setup. Some apts have walls so thin.
You can hear Joe Blow fart next door.
Just a thought.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The room is dark. I can adjust the light with a dimmer.
I don't need too much light for indoor cycling.
A bit more for weight lifting but how much is the picture going to be affected by some artificial light?

You'll wanna at least keep the area (maybe several feet to about 1/2 way toward you) around and in front of the screen as dim/dark as possible.

A little ambient light on a far side of the space, particularly (mostly) shielded from directly hitting the screen and located behind you (or maybe way off the sides), could be ok enough, but the more ambient light, especially w/ direct exposure to the screen or directly visible to you, the more image degradation will result...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi,

I have built a small gym in my apartment and I would like to add some AV to it.
I have the following constraints:
  • only one wall available for the screen (about 2x3m or 6.5x10 feet available surface)
  • limited budget for the whole project (about 1k)
  • the kids play in the room (sometimes also with balls or throwing objects) so it needs to be safe for them and the devices
  • neighbours are noise sensitive
  • It is meant to be used during workouts to follow instructions or watch some sports/movies during steady cardio training (a better HT setup already exists in the living room so no need for high-end quality components)
Based on my limitations and requirements I came up with the following initial setup idea:
  • A projector on the ceiling at about 2m or 6.5 feet distance from the wall (Epson CO-FH02?)
  • A rolling projector screen on the wall (about 70-80 diagonal with 16:9 ratio)
My biggest challenge is the sound.
A soundbar would be ideal (Sony HT-SF150?) but the problem is that I do not want to have it fixed on the wall for the following reasons:
  • The kids can hit it and damage it
  • Having a fixed black bar in the middle of an empty white wall is going to look ugly
  • Having a fixed black bar in the middle of an empty wall would mean I cannot use the wall anymore for excercises
Questions:
  1. Is there a projector screen which can hold a soundbar so that I can pull it down and up all together?
  2. Would a pair of wireless stereo speaker be a good alternative?
  3. Headphones? Not my preferred option when moving and sweating a lot
Thank you!
An iPad and wireless earphones are about the perfect solution here, especially for use with a stationary bike. And the price can be as low as about $400.

Earphones can be completely up for intense exercise. I’ve been using AirPods Pro for three years, working out 2-5 days a week for up to two hours at time including jogging, elliptical machines, weight lifting, and recently Apple Fitness on my iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks