What's new

Which Projector Should I Get? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When @JohnRice thinks you need to chill, you need to chill. :cool:

Info received and accepted.
Truer words were never spoken... or typed, in this case. 🤪

I've been receiving a massive lesson in perspective, or more accurately, CTFO the last year or so.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
I’m also curious if there are any good arguments to consider a 16:9 over a 2.40:1 (or 2.35:1).

I have a suggestion on this.

If you are height limited in wall size Go 2.39.
If it's width limited in wall size. Go 16:9

It sounds like you want the biggest image possible and that comes down to both viewing distance and wall dimensions.

I'm doing 16:9 for a number of reasons.
1. Gives me the biggest image possible.
2. 2.39 would just end up with a smaller tv like experience when content is 16:9.
3. I watch a variety of aspect ratios and enjoy preserving them. Including those that switch.
4. My wall is taller than wider.

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thank you so much to everybody who has chimed in on this thread since my last post, I really appreciate it! Apologies for the controversy regarding the projector I mentioned (that was available for sale)...if I could do it over again I would have tried wording it differently. On the flip side, I received a very warm PM from John Dirk apologizing for the tone of the conversation...and I believe all is well!

I've been away for the past couple of days at the NAMM show (here in California) and I've barely slept, that's why I haven't been able to reply sooner. Believe it or not, I have a history in music production and I try to go to the NAMM as often as possible. This year I've noticed a huge increase in Dolby Atmos booths (selling speaker brands and setups for studios) at the NAMM...it's the new thing in music production/mixing. I'm not very familiar with Dolby Atmos for music...but they're saying it's the way of the future (even though I'm pretty sure 99% of consumers will continue listening to music on phones/headphones for the foreseeable future)...but Apple Music and even Spotify are going to be requiring an Atmos mix to accompany a stereo mix to be included on their platforms. I've sat in on several demos (in their fancy rooms, with top-of-the-line speaker setups)...and I'm the only one asking questions about HT Atmos related issues! If I'm being honest, the height speakers in the 3 Atmos rooms I sat in on...resemble an Auro 3D setup in that they are in the far front and far back of the room, rather than right above the listening area. Everyone I asked agreed that 7 bed-level speakers should take priority over 6 height speakers and front wide speakers should be secondary to Surrounds and Rear Surrounds (those are some things I was wondering). I'm surprised at how squished they've put some of the Dolby Atmos displays rooms together (probably because of limited space), but the speakers are right up against the walls and when asked, they say it's not a problem.

Anyways, thank you again for all the great input, I look forward to responding properly in the next day or 2.

Best Regards,
Nathan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not very familiar with Dolby Atmos for music...but they're saying it's the way of the future (even though I'm pretty sure 99% of consumers will continue listening to music on phones/headphones for the foreseeable future)
...it's not.

Most normal people (often referred to as "customers") don't care.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I know it’s an unpopular opinion on here but my advice is almost nobody should buy anything but 16:9

It’s the native format for all projectors
It’s the native format for all sports
It’s the native format for almost all TV shows
It’s the native format for all video games
It’s a good compromise for a wide variety of movie formats

Versus

A couple thousand movies look best with wider screens, but even they vary extensively

YMMV

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I agree w/ Sam to a great extent... although I still like the concept of a setup that yields a bigger image for 2.4:1 films (NVM a few even wider ones) vs a lot of smaller scope/looking content made for narrow formats, which was why I suggested going w/ a 16x9 screen, but basically masking it on 3 sides, if not all 4.

Yeah, (almost?) nobody else seems to like the idea of a (essentially) windowboxed image even on a very large screen, but oh well, I'm weird that way, haha -- and yes, I (do often enough) do that on my setup... but I've been lazy about actually masking the 3 sides, haha...

I don't actually try to maintain true CIH in my setup though... as I don't want the smaller scope, narrower content to be quite that small, but I also don't feel the need for at least some of that to take up my full 120" screen (from a mere ~10ft viewing distance) while making the larger scope, 2.4:1 (or even opened up, IMAX-based) films feel smaller as result...

_Man_

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I know it’s an unpopular opinion on here but my advice is almost nobody should buy anything but 16:9

It’s the native format for almost all TV shows

Versus

A couple thousand movies look best with wider screens, but even they vary extensively

YMMV

I don't look at your opinion as unpopular. If it is the best format for your viewing priorities it is the correct format. I expect a high majority of users agree with you and likely yours is the popular opinion. The percent may go down some for those with a dedicated theater.

For me, a scope screen is my strong preference. I prioritize movies in my theater and most are in the 2.4:1 format. I am disappointed when they aren't but don't let it ruin the movie for me. I find streaming content, especially movies but series too, frequently in scope format. For typical 16x9 content I would just as soon watch in the comfort of my living room.

I think this article from Panamorph summarizes it well.

JVC Projectors have an aspect ratio of 17x9 and anamorphic modes. Add an Anamorphic lens and all pixels are used for scope content.

Unless a major sporting event and usually only if it is in 4K, do I want to be down in a bat cave basement theater watching sports. I prefer a more social setting like my family room.

It’s the native format for almost all TV shows.

I have no interest in watching TV shows in a dedicated theater.

I don’t play video games.

For me a quality 16x9 movie looks fine on a scope screen and if it is a re-watch or a marginal film I'll watch it on the OLED. (John Wick 4K was under $11 on Amazon, I didn't own any version so bought it even though Amazon listed the aspect ratio as 16x9. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was actually 2.4:1.) 1.85:1 looks even better, 2.2:1 better yet and 2.4:1 is the theater experience I prioritize. “Over 80% of all major motion pictures are made in the 2.4:1 cinema format and the average aspect ratio for new streaming content is about 2.2:1 (and migrating to 2.4:1).” © Panamorph

Everyone is right based on how and what they watch.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
...it's not.

Most normal people (often referred to as "customers") don't care.
Agreed. Atmos for movies? Yep.

Atmos for music? See the entire history of multi-channel audio. I have a collection of ONE multi-channel dts CD that was supposed to be the future of music listening. (The Police: Every Breath You Take - The Classics). It’s a good cd, no question, but the entire rest of my 4,000+ track music collection is 2-channel.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Agreed. Atmos for movies? Yep.

Atmos for music? See the entire history of multi-channel audio. I have a collection of ONE multi-channel dts CD that was supposed to be the future of music listening. (The Police: Every Breath You Take - The Classics). It’s a good cd, no question, but the entire rest of my 4,000+ track music collection is 2-channel.
Even at that, most ordinary people don't have any interest in Atmos for movies. I mean, the people who don't sign up for forums like this. The market is pretty small.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Even at that, most ordinary people don't have any interest in Atmos for movies. I mean, the people who don't sign up for forums like this. The market is pretty small.

That... or they think soundbars can really do Atmos, hehheh...

_Man_

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Hey guys, it's been a while. I had some real-life events keeping me away from working on our HT setup over the last few months...and wasn't able to keep up with this thread, but I'm back now and will pick up where I left off.

Something I didn't get around to sharing earlier was that while at the NAMM show a few months ago, I spoke to the operator of the projector setup in one of the large hotel rooms where they hosted a few thousand people. The ultra-wide screen was impressive. The guy showed me how they use 2 projectors playing the same image (right on top of the other one) the whole time. He said they do that in case one of them blows out, the 2nd not only acts as a backup...BUT it also creates a brighter image as a result...having the 2 projectors running on the same screen at the same time. (Do any home enthusiasts use this concept for an extra-bright 2.40.1 setup?)

As a refresher, this is the layout I'm leaning towards for setting up our living room, leaving a TV on the side wall (between 2 windows) for daytime viewing...and placing a large projector screen on the far wall (covering a fireplace)...

01b.png

Since we watch way more movies than 16:9 content, we'd like to go with a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 screen and later explore options for masking the sides of the screen for 16:9 content. Based on DaveF's input about using a Positive Gain screen to get a little more brightness with such a large screen, we'll try putting our speakers externally rather than behind the screen. (And hopefully I'll be making this screen myself...if they sell the PG screen material.)

Budget for the projector is around the $5k mark (and willing to buy used or refurbished to get a higher end one close to that price-point).

Are the best recommendations still these?:
* Epson LS12000
* JVC N5, NZ7, or NZ8
* JVC DLA-NX5
* JVC DLA-NP5

...or are there any other units to consider with motorized lens control and memory?

Thank you,
Nathan

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Something else I've been meaning to ask is about the importance of having dark walls (and ceiling). I've noticed in the theaters I've been to lately that they don't all have black walls, I see a lot of checkered walls and reds, blues, etc. Further, I wonder if it's most important to have the first few feet of the side walls dark, but as the room goes on, not as important, because reflections will be fewer as the wall goes on?--like in this picture...

2023-07-29_14-51-49.png

If there is any merit in that point, would a gradient color scheme for the viewing room be an option?

Someone recommended some time ago to consider hanging curtains (black) along all the walls of the living room that could be pulled back during the day (revealing the light-colored walls) and closed during viewing to have a black room. While that would be a bit of work...to manually open and close them every night for viewing...I wonder if it would be a better option than painting the living room a darker color (not black), but a grey, or dark blue?

BiltmoreWhiteScreen_4401_5.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

2023-07-29_14-33-31.png
7409318_hRsYpd9KJyBodcnc84eayDIVNxceh782DhBURp6Wvjo.jpg

For the ceiling (which is currently a Navajo white popcorn ceiling), I was thinking to build a black "starry night" box that would cover about 60%-70% of the ceiling (though it would need to be thin, as the ceiling is only 8' from the floor).

Thank you,
Nathan

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I've nearly settled on the Epson LS12000. If anybody has another projector for me to consider, I'd appreciate hearing from you!

I'm quite interested in an Anamorphic lens for the added light and picture quality since I'll be projecting onto a big screen. Are there any options other than the Panamorph lenses (which cost $6k and $8k)? Do cheaper anamorphic lenses exist? (Would you recommend I buy the projector first and use it for some time without an anamorphic lens before deciding?)

Using the Audio Advice theater specs tool, it seems I can get a screen size of around 166" at 2.40 (bigger if I play with the 2 row configuration, or by adding 1" of ceiling space to the room)...so I'm not sure how religiously to take the Audio Advice specs, if it will be a work in progress with things like whether I use a rises, 2 rows, etc.

AudioDevice.png

The main challenge I see will be the Left Surround speaker...which I will probably need to put on a stand that can be moved, as it will be in front of a window (which will have curtains/coverings during viewing.

Possible Atmos Configuration5.png

Thank you in advance,
Nathan

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not remember seeing any information on the AVR. Do you already have one or will you be looking for an AVR?

I use a Marantz SR-8012 which has 3 HDMI outputs.

20181007_093345aa.jpg

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I will be getting the AVR right after I buy the projector. Then I'll work on the speakers...and treating the room and placing things (speaker placement, velvet panels on the walls and ceiling and things like that). I'm waiting for any final comments or suggestions on the projector and if there are cheaper anamorphic lens options other than the Panamorph ones.

Nathan

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Something else I've been meaning to ask is about the importance of having dark walls (and ceiling). I've noticed in the theaters I've been to lately that they don't all have black walls, I see a lot of checkered walls and reds, blues, etc. Further, I wonder if it's most important to have the first few feet of the side walls dark, but as the room goes on, not as important, because reflections will be fewer as the wall goes on?--like in this picture...
The more dark the more better. Ideally you’d have no light reflecting from walls and ceiling back on to the screen. Diffuse (cloth) over flat reflective (painted materials) surfaces even more preferred. The hardcore contrast-ratio enthusiasts use black-velvet surface treatments.

This is all balanced against personal aesthetics and other lifestyle choices. My theater is dark but due to practicalities and style choices reflects more light on the screen than I wish. You do the best we can. :)

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
It's been a while since my last post... was about to buy the Epson LS12000, 3 months ago, but the seller I was going to buy from ran out of stock. Then a few setbacks put my home theater project on the back burner. But I'm now ready to get back to work...and start buying the first piece of our new home theater; the projector! Just wanted to check in with the community and ask if the Epson LS12000 is still the same choice (in my case, the right choice) as it was 4 months ago! Also, I might as well ask if you all know if there is a major difference between the US model of the LS12000 vs the (Japanese?) model EH-LS12000 B? The EH-----B model ships from Japan and says 240V, but may come out a bit cheaper (assuming that import taxes don't eat up all the savings). I assume the 240V tagline in the description might mean you can't plug it directly into a 110V outlet?

Thank you for your time,

Nathan

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sometimes a bump in the road turns out to be a good thing.

I suggest checking out Sony's true Native 4K HDR Laser projector that's on sale through this Sunday with a $1k discount, VPL-XW5000ES $5,999. Sale $4,998. and some dealers have additional special promotions.

Also all of JVC's projectors are on sale that also ends this Sunday, the NP5, NZ7, NZ8 and NZ9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks