What's new

Disney+ Secret Invasion (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Now, the audience hasn't rallied around the new stuff in quite the same way and certainly not on a regular basis as used to be the case. If I worked at Marvel, I would be concerned about that going forward. Quality control matters, and they're slipping.
It's not only quality control. For me, it's a fundamental flaw in the premise of the Multiverse Saga: The Multiverse itself. It's too vast for me to care about (the stakes are consistently too large), too confusing to understand something that happened at the end of movie 18 and TV show 7 is important to understand the upcoming show. Too much of the emotional impact is diffused, and too many of the plots are dependent on CGI. I never believed the world of Ant Man 3 existed. The actors looked bored without anything to interact with.

It's all too much and needs to be scaled back to simpler human stories, IMHO. I didn't even finish Secret Invasion. Ten minutes into episode three I think I bailed on the whole MCU Phase Five. I hope not.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's not only quality control. For me, it's a fundamental flaw in the premise of the Multiverse Saga: The Multiverse itself

Obviously, everything comes down to personal taste. But there have been some multiverse stories that have connected with audiences, so I don't think the entire concept is without merit. It just depends on the execution. Across the Spider-Verse (a Sony project) is just the most recent example of one that worked for many people.

I never believed the world of Ant Man 3 existed. The actors looked bored without anything to interact with.

I agree with this.

It's all too much and needs to be scaled back to simpler human stories, IMHO. I didn't even finish Secret Invasion. Ten minutes into episode three I think I bailed on the whole MCU Phase Five. I hope not.

Even though Kevin Feige anointed these three phases as The Multiverse Saga, many of the projects Marvel has done recently have nothing to do with the multiverse. Secret Invasion is set entirely in the primary MCU timeline that we have been following since Iron Man. So while your opinions about the multiverse are valid, they don't really apply to this particular project. I'm not sure why you need to bail on the entire thing just because you don't care for the multiverse. You do you though. I don't think you're missing very much with the end of Secret Invasion anyway. It got bad.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Even though Kevin Feige anointed these three phases as The Multiverse Saga, many of the projects Marvel has done recently have nothing to do with the multiverse. Secret Invasion is set entirely in the primary MCU timeline that we have been following since Iron Man. So while your opinions about the multiverse are valid, they don't really apply to this particular project. I'm not sure why you need to bail on the entire thing just because you don't care for the multiverse. You do you though. I don't think you're missing very much with the end of Secret Invasion anyway. It got bad.

And therein lies the issue for me: these stories connect with the barest of threads and most don't feel like they move the Multiverse Saga ahead in any way. Maybe we'll look back when this is said and done and say "gee, I see the connections now"...but I can't see them at all right now.

The Infinity Saga had something in every movie-a reference to an Infinity Stone, a tag scene with Thanos, an important introduction, something-to move the overall plot forward. Phases 4 and 5 haven't had that, meaning Marvel has had to create new stories for those movies and shows to live in...and they have largely been mediocre. They need to connect to give the new stories a structure AND for the audience to get an extra level of "oh crap, this is important."

Some of these shows have a great premise or a "gee, wow!" storyline or whatever, but only one, for me, rises to something fun to watch. All the others have been-to a large extent-watched out of loyalty. (And that one I really, really liked was WandaVision.)

Black Widow is a side story. Moon Knight is a side story. Hawkeye is a side story. Love & Thunder, Wakanda Forever...side stories. She-Hulk...side story. Secret Invasion, as of right now, is a side story. If you build your universe on the idea every story is important and drives toward the ultimate goal, you can't change horses midstream...at least for me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The Marvels should open by showing the final scene of Secret Invasion. Then, have the camera slowly pull out until it's outside the city, then keep pulling out until it's outside the country, then the continent, then the world, until we finally land on the the Moon. There, we see the Watcher, played by Jeffrey Wright, who says, "well, that's what could have happened...but it didn't. Now here's what actually happened..."

***The Marvels***

[music swells]

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The upside to the "multiverse" saga is that it gives Disney/Marvel a one time "get out of bad writing" free card. But it only works once.

In the comics, Marvel did this once. As many here know, the comics "multiverse" included the "Ultimate" universe (1610). The Ultimate universe and a number of other realities persisted for many years, though the Ultimate universe by far had the most stories. It was its "own thing" for a long time. Eventually, as part of the resolution of the Secret Wars story (similar in name but not plot to the Secret Invasion series), the multiverse sort of collapsed. I'm simplifying here for brevity, but basically all the universes outside of the mainstream universe (616) were folded into the mainstream universe, and some of the fan favourite characters joined the mainstream universe (e.g. Miles Morales). Then the multiverse expanded out again in sort of a big crunch/big bang fashion.

It's all silly like only comics could do. But it allowed the creatives to literally pick what worked across the entire Marvel line, and jettison everything else.

This can still happen in the MCU. I actually think it's what Kevin Feige was always planning toward anyway. At the end of the multiverse saga, like the end of the Infinity saga, we will get a reset. Some things will remain, some thins will get undone. People will complain about both.

Heck, there is a non-zero chance that the end of the multiverse saga we get a total reset. A brand new reality. Iron Man is back if they want, played by a new character (or not!). Everyone is back, or not. A brand new day one.

Edit:

she-hulk-xmen-she-hulk-thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
After my wife and I finished watching some things on TV this evening, we happened to pop onto FX, where they were showing Endgame. We happened in right at the point where Danvers enters the fight by downing Thanos's ship. Rocket shouts, "Oh, yeah!" and he's hanging off of War Machine.

And then I realized...if Skrodey had taken over as Rhodey since the end of Civil War, he must've had possession of the War Machine armor all this time. Surely there were enough Skrull engineers working for Gravik who could've reverse engineered the armor and manufactured a shitload of Iron Man suits for their insurgency.

Also, seeing the assembling of the "A-Force" to help Danvers ferry the Gauntlet reminded me about the one bit that, if nothing else, made the Gi'ah/Gravik fight worth it: her going all "Bug Lady" and sending Gravik to sleep. That was an unexpected treat.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Until someone in charge says otherwise, I will continue to believe that Rhodey was snatched by the Skrulls after Endgame. He’s clearly wearing an exoskeleton over his legs at Tony’s funeral. I think it does a disservice to the character to have it be otherwise.

87BF160E-5F94-4B2A-B4F0-184C03418E73.jpeg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I gave up on this show after 2 episodes because I found it boring. My wife told everything that happened and the ending. Glad I didn't watch because it all sounds stupid. My head canon will just ignore this series, Rhody has not been a Skrull since Civil War, full stop. That's stupid and completely undermines everything we've seen since. This is why I am just not a big post-End Game MCU fan. They are basically jumping the shark over and over again.

Can we just bring back the original Avengers and just have some fun again?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Can we just bring back the original Avengers and just have some fun again?
The original Avengers story has been told and the actors have moved on for the most part. I thought they were supposed to be building a new Avengers team and we'll see how that develops in the years ahead.

Meanwhile Secret Invasion is officially "rotten"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched Infinity War with the kids today and Rhodey is definitely wearing braces on his legs. In one moment, he's clearly uncomfortable with movement. Rhodey is not a Skrull in this movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There’s a moment in Endgame when Rhodey references Raiders of the Lost Ark. I doubt a skrull would have done that. Also, when he’s trapped under the rubble with Rocket and Hulk, it’s clear that Rhodey can’t walk.

If it was the director of Secret Invasion who said the skrulls replaced him after Civil War, he either misspoke or didn’t do his homework. Either way, he’s wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s a moment in Endgame when Rhodey references Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Devil’s advocate argument: Skrulls have been living on Earth for decades prior to the events in that film and were living as humans, blending in. Why wouldn’t they have gone to the movies or watched TV in that time?

And if Rhodey was a fan of a specific movie or show, why wouldn’t his doppelgänger know that? The real Rhodey was hooked up to a brain scanning machine so the Skrull would know all of his thoughts. If he liked Indians Jones, the Skrull would have that knowledge.

I’m not making a judgment on whether or not this is a plot point that I like, but I don’t think it’s unsupported by the films/shows.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Until someone in charge says otherwise, I will continue to believe that Rhodey was snatched by the Skrulls after Endgame. He’s clearly wearing an exoskeleton over his legs at Tony’s funeral. I think it does a disservice to the character to have it be otherwise.

View attachment 192627

Me, this bit of business doesn't bother me. But as time goes by, the less and less I care about what is or isn't "official canon", and I decide for myself what I choose to embrace or ignore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks