What's new

Disney+ Marvel's WandaVision (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Personally, I'm hoping for an option with 4K, Blu-ray, and digital code all in one, just like the movies.
I would be shocked if there are digital codes included with these releases. Making them physical only means that Disney+ retains exclusivity for streaming of these titles, and that's what I think they will do.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There’s no way digital codes are included. For one thing, the press release says nothing about them, but it does mention 4k and Blu-ray.

Take Paramount+’s Star Trek shows for example. They’re very popular among fans. I’d argue Star Trek fans have single-handedly allowed the Paramount streaming service to exist. Paramount never stopped selling physical media of its Star Trek shows. DVDs, Blu-rays, and even 4ks (of some titles) have been out regularly since the shows started in 2017. You know what was never included? Digital codes. Because the exclusive streaming home for the shows is Paramount+.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Take Paramount+’s Star Trek shows for example. They’re very popular among fans. I’d argue Star Trek fans have single-handedly allowed the Paramount streaming service to exist. Paramount never stopped selling physical media of its Star Trek shows. DVDs, Blu-rays, and even 4ks (of some titles) have been out regularly since the shows started in 2017. You know what was never included? Digital codes. Because the exclusive streaming home for the shows is Paramount+.

Exclusive to subscription streaming. But you can buy the digital versions from Vudu, Amazon, Microsoft, and itunes.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF they sell them at reasonable prices via iTunes and maybe Vudu in 4K, I would probably buy at least some of the lesser ones that way and save the 4K disc format for the few "must owns" like probably The Mandalorian... not quite sure about WandaVision (for now) or any of the other Marvel series... though I'll probably give some consideration for Loki...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
IF they sell them at reasonable prices via iTunes and maybe Vudu in 4K, I would probably buy at least some of the lesser ones that way
That's not going to happen. Disney+ will keep them as streaming exclusives. The physical releases are targeted to the physical collector's market. They still want people to stream it on their platform.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's not going to happen. Disney+ will keep them as streaming exclusives. The physical releases are targeted to the physical collector's market. They still want people to stream it on their platform.

Never say never, hehheh... but not a big deal either way since I would still go for the discs otherwise for anything I deem "must own" and not merely rely on their D+ service for such, but do plan on at least subscribing to D+ for at least a month or two each year to binge on whatever...

I'm simply not (quite) all hung up on just one way to the exclusion of all others or anything like that at this point -- there are simply (more than) enough good options nowadays, including simply moving on to something else also good instead, if Disney doesn't satisfy...

Besides, I've been keeping a D+ subscription pretty year-round for just about 3 years now, but rarely actually get around to watching anything on there myself, LOL -- there's simply too much good content readily available (along w/ other interests), and the vast majority of what are on D+ have been relatively low priority for me (at least to catch on the service itself) in large part because I had a cheap year-round deal for it so far, but probably not anymore soon...

Anyway, I'll make do just fine... :cool:

_Man_

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently watched Wandavision S01 on Blu - this was the first time I've seen this. I also haven't read anything about this ahead of time - due to wanting to be completely surprised by the story-line. And, I haven't seen all of the Marvel movies, so wasn't that familiar with the MU version of the Vision & Scarlet Witch.

This was an excellent series. The first several episodes were especially trippy, and I definitely got a "WTF am I watching?!" vibe. I liked how these early episodes were obviously a homage to 1950's - 1970's TV sitcoms like Ozzie & Harriet; Bewitched; Father Knows Best; The Brady Bunch; etc. - though these Wandavision episodes were obviously a lot stranger & more twisted (ha ha) than the shows they were "based" on - LOL. The 1970's era episode was nice; they were spot-on re: the type of color that you saw in TV shows from this era.

I especially enjoyed the Halloween episode - i.e., where Vision & Wanda (The Scarlet Witch) dressed in cheap, colorful costumes that were obviously based on their original 1960's - 1980's appearances in the Marvel Avengers comic series (and other titles). And, I actually strongly prefer these original costumes to their later, edgier MU outfits. What can I say - I'm a purist ;)

Whether this was intentional or not, I also got a strong The Truman Show (1998 film) vibe re: the character(s) unknowingly being on "sets" that were insular & not connected to the outside world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks