What's new

General Discussion Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 5 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure why I should believe that tweet. Do we have any evidence at all that Marvel is currently doing anything to cast new X-Men roles? At this time, they seem to be bringing previous Fox X-Men actors into the MCU via the multiverse.

Cavill is a good actor and he would be welcome in the MCU. But I see no evidence to suggest this is anything other than a rumor at this point.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Online fans have been suggesting Captain Britain for a while.

If they are still charging ahead with "the Multiverse Saga" (and there's no reason not to, even given the Majors issue), Captain Britain would be a natural, as the high point for that character -- the run by Alans Moore and Davis -- is deep Multiverse stuff. It was even the origination of the Earth-616 designation for Marvel's prime universe.

The only problem I could see in introducing Captain Britain into the MCU is that there would likely be a number of fans who would see such as a diss against Haley Atwell's Captain Carter (in much the same way as there were some who complained about the promotion of Captain Carter in What If...? as a diss against Sam Wilson's Captain America).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If we get Captain Britain then one hopes Psylocke (his sister) isn't far behind (or at the same time).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure why I should believe that tweet. Do we have any evidence at all that Marvel is currently doing anything to cast new X-Men roles? At this time, they seem to be bringing previous Fox X-Men actors into the MCU via the multiverse.

Cavill is a good actor and he would be welcome in the MCU. But I see no evidence to suggest this is anything other than a rumor at this point.
For what it’s worth, the tweet is about Cavill being cast for “Marvel role” not specifically an X-Men role. That was just something the poster was throwing out there.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Sony celebrate the 100th anniversary of Columbia Pictures, the following films will be released in theaters this year.

Spider-Man -April 15th
Spider-Man 2 - April 22nd
Spider-Man 3 -April 29th
The Amazing Spider-Man -May 6th
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 -May 13th
Spider-Man: Homecoming -May 20th
Spider-Man: Far From Home -May 27th
Spider-Man: No Way Home -June 3rd

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Sony celebrate the 100th anniversary of Columbia Pictures, the following films will be released in theaters this year.

Spider-Man -April 15th
Spider-Man 2 - April 22nd
Spider-Man 3 -April 29th
The Amazing Spider-Man -May 6th
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 -May 13th
Spider-Man: Homecoming -May 20th
Spider-Man: Far From Home -May 27th
Spider-Man: No Way Home -June 3rd

Thanks! Might be a good chance to catch up on the films I missed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cinemark has these listed as part of a "Sony 100" series. The only thing that bothers me here is that nothing else is listed other than these films. There is no question that Spider-Man has been an important franchise for Sony, and no celebration of important films from their history would be complete without Spider-Man.

But a celebration of their history is not complete if it's just Spider-Man, either. There are so many great films in their library. I understand that it isn't practical to re-release everything, but they should curate something that is more broad than just a single franchise with a variety of titles included.

That being said, I'll probably go to some of these.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What are the "guaranteed hits" for Marvel these days? I don't know of anything in the pipeline that seems "guaranteed". Possibly Deadpool & Wolverine, but that's about it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What are the "guaranteed hits" for Marvel these days? I don't know of anything in the pipeline that seems "guaranteed".
I agree. Marvel seems to be struggling to find its footing again. They captured lightning in a bottle with most of their films up through Endgame, but then they got greedy and oversaturated their market with too many expensively produced movies and D+ shows, many of them sub-par and underperformers compared to the glory days of their first few "phases."

We're all familiar with the term "superhero fatigue." I can only speak for myself, but I fall into that category. Too much, too soon, one after another after another until it all started to blur together with all the TV series/movie tie-ins and prerequisites. I just lost interest, and for me personally, I don't see a whole lot on their upcoming slate that's going to change that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Again, I remain very skeptical of any "news" on random Twitter accounts.

That being said, I'm not sure that we need anyone to tell us that Captain Marvel 3 and Ant-Man 4 won't happen. Both of their movies last year lost money and were generally poorly regarded.

Yet they didn't seem like risks in the first place. A sequel to Captain Marvel sounded like it would be a hit when they announced it after the first film made $1 billion. Ant-Man and the Wasp (without a subtitle) built on the gross of the first movie, and then Scott was a major featured player in Endgame. So of course they made Quantumania. Those movies didn't work out because they weren't very good.

We also know from last year that fans will show up if the movie is really good. Across the Spider-Verse (which is a Sony production) literally doubled the gross of its predecessor because it was phenomenal and audiences really responded to it. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 performed well and in line with expectations too. Most fans seemed to like it.

I wouldn't count Marvel out. They've made so many good movies over the years. I think they can do it again. But I think they need to refocus on quality over quantity, as we've talked about here a lot. It all comes back to making quality movies, which Marvel used to be better at doing on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What they had going for them then - and what’s missing now - is that everything tended to feel like it was building towards a conclusion that the audience was invested in. If you pull that apart it’s not literally true - Iron Man 3 grossed a billion dollars but had nothing to do with Infinity Stones, to name one example. But it behaved like a hit run of a TV show, where the momentum builds and the audience grows and no one wants to miss a beat. That’s not sustainable in perpetuity. Breaking Bad, for instance, was hugely popular commercially by its final split season, but it wasn’t a huge hit out of the gate - it took time for it to hooks that audience, like it did for Marvel. And while a lot of Breaking Bad fans stayed on the train and continued on to Better Call Saul, the latter show never hit the commercial heights of the former. It’s not that it did anything wrong. It’s just nearly impossible to engineer lightning in a bottle.

It’ll be good for Marvel to focus more on quality control but that’s not the only thing. There were plenty of movies in the Infinity Saga that were not four star films, and it didn’t matter. They still have a devoted audience but it’s not attracting all of the casual viewers it did at its height, so I don’t think they really need to stop making films or shows, but better align how many they make and how much they cost with the size of the audience they have today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There were plenty of movies in the Infinity Saga that were not four star films, and it didn’t matter
You're right. I think that's because they had so many good ones that the occasional lesser film was easier to overlook. The Dark World was adequate, but they followed it with The Water Soldier. Ten years on from The Winter Soldier, I still know a lot of fans who cite that one as their favorite MCU films. Then they followed that with Guardians of the Galaxy. Their quality control wasn't perfect, but it was close enough that people came to expect a good time with the next Marvel release. Their more recent duds have been worse than anything in the Infinity Saga, and they're becoming more frequent. That's a big problem.

You're also right that people didn't want to miss anything. Infinity War and Endgame were so extremely successful because the vast majority of films leading up to them were also successful and there was a cumulative affection that included the entire MCU. I'm sure Marvel is eager to get to whatever Avengers 5 is and Secret Wars, but I would also be concerned about the ability of those films to be huge because the films leading up to them have been so inconsistent. Will more casual care to come back for a movie with Avengers in the title that connects to a bunch of movies they either didn't like or haven't seen? I would be very concerned about that right now if I ran Marvel.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Marvel seems to be struggling to find its footing again. They captured lightning in a bottle with most of their films up through Endgame, but then they got greedy and oversaturated their market with too many expensively produced movies and D+ shows, many of them sub-par and underperformers compared to the glory days of their first few "phases."

We're all familiar with the term "superhero fatigue." I can only speak for myself, but I fall into that category. Too much, too soon, one after another after another until it all started to blur together with all the TV series/movie tie-ins and prerequisites. I just lost interest, and for me personally, I don't see a whole lot on their upcoming slate that's going to change that.
Agreed. They could make a string of movies that are better than what they've previously done and it's still not going to capture the public's attention the way that it did because it's not new anymore. That doesn't mean that they can't make good movies or that they can't still have hits but the oversaturation of all franchises (especially comic book movies) and since there's nothing like the first time, they can't get back to where they were.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Making good movies is very important, but also critical is having big characters. The days of turning D-listers into franchises may have ended. Marvel should get back to the heavy hitters - Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, X-Men, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks