What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 4 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
7A0A2B07-F55F-4467-8CB3-1C3A4B2D6BC9.gif

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I figured this was as good a place as any to post this.

Jeremy Renner in “critical but stable condition" following an accident

Obviously, this is bad news to start the year. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So...I was rewatching Eternals recently (yes, I'm the one who actually likes it :)).

Supposedly, the Celestials didn't want the Eternals to get involved with the whole Thanos business because all that was beneath the concern of the Celestials, and therefore of the Eternals. Their only concern seemed to be making baby Celestials.

It had occurred to me some time back that that made no sense. Baby Celestials emerged from their respective planet when the planetary population reached a requisite number (presumably something to do with the concept of the noösphere). Thanos snapping away 50% of living beings across the universe would impede the gestation of the baby Celestials by delaying their emergence for millions -- if not billions -- of years, as the planetary populations would have to build back up. But perhaps the Celestials weren't concerned so much with the passage of time, given that they've existed since the beginning of creation.

But it occurred to me in my recent rewatch that Thanos snapping away 50% of living beings across the universe would include 50% of Celestials. I can't see why that wouldn't concern them. My wife suggested that maybe the Celestials were immune from the effects of the Infinity Stones, but since the Celestials didn't create the Stones, that seems unlikely.

Maybe they figured out how to do it at some point, thinking that the Stones might someday be a threat. But that still doesn't solve the problem of delaying the Emergence. And even if they decided not to let the Eternals get involved during the Infinity War portion of the proceedings, it seems odd that they wouldn't take a different tack in preventing Thanos from redoing the Avengers' undoing of the Blip.

(Yes, I understand the real reason: the Eternals weren't part of the MCU during the Infinity Saga. Doesn't stop anyone from musing, though. ;))

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that covers some of why the film didn’t resonate as well as expected with its intended audience - Marvel Studios had done such a thorough job of establishing the players and rules of their “universe” and Eternals kind of committed the sin of introducing new characters with such immense powers that their mere existence could have neutralized every conflict we’ve seen unfold over the prior decade of movie watching.

Captain Marvel was better accepted, I think, because that film ends with her leaving the planet/galaxy and giving her a better “excuse” for not being present to stop the initial Thanos attack.

I think even if people couldn’t consciously put their finger on it, it’s sort of distasteful from a certain in-universe perspective that we’re told the Eternals found a potential universe-ending conflict beneath them, but when it came to just saving one planet, now they care?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I love The Eternals. I think it's much better than any of the MCU films from the last year. I'm hopeful that over time, it will be given a second look by people.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks