What's new

Route 66 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s quite a line of guest actresses. You got Arlene Martel up there as Lucia. As I recall, she does a second episode thats quite tragic. I’d forgotten about Inger Steven’s appearance in the Berylium Eater, I’ll have to re-see that one. Elizabeth MacRae I recognized from Gomer Pyle and I forgot Donna Douglas was in Layout at Glenn Canyon. I am not familiar with the actress from Sheba.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
It sure is right and thus far only the tip of the iceberg. I wouldn't say this was Inger Steven’s most attractive appearance as that hairstyle was just ridiculous but certainly reflective of the period. I don't watch much Gomer, but Elizabeth MacRae seemed to pop up quite often in Gunsmoke as Festus's girlfriend. Just look at her bio, it's quite impressive. Which one, Whitney Blake or Carol Ohmart? Whitney Blake was best known for playing Dorothy Baxter on Hazel. If you mean Carol Ohmart I wasn't familiar with her either but any attractive R66 women will naturally be included in these presentations.

I have a question for you. How do you manage to be the top post on the last pages? :laugh:

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's a great blitz of photo essays from the first half of season 1, Neal! It's been a long while since I watched those episodes (and I don't believe I have seen "Sheba"; will have to remedy that soon...Whitney Blake and Lee Marvin - yowsa!)

Thanks, your posts brought back some good memories of watching this series for the very first time via that first season Roxbury /Infinity DVD set. That explosive ending to "Layout at Glen Canyon" is a real eye-opener, a very impressive setpiece. Agree with you on some of the hair style choices not being the most becoming for these very attractive actresses. Aside from Inger Stevens, they managed the seemingly impossible task of dimming Arlene Martel's innate sex appeal...I suppose in an effort to make her more demure and innocent-seeming. Fragile beauty Inger Stevens has always been a favorite, ever since I first laid eyes on her in Hang 'em High with Clint Eastwood. And as Randall can attest, Joey Heatherton smokes up the screen in a very good S1 episode of Mr. Novak.

I look forward to further "actress profiles." Lots of good candidates coming up, including Susan Kohner, Annes Francis and Helm, Dorothy Malone, and many more!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
That's a great blitz of photo essays from the first half of season 1, Neal! It's been a long while since I watched those episodes (and I don't believe I have seen "Sheba"; will have to remedy that soon...Whitney Blake and Lee Marvin - yowsa!)

Thanks, your posts brought back some good memories of watching this series for the very first time via that first season Roxbury /Infinity DVD set. That explosive ending to "Layout at Glen Canyon" is a real eye-opener, a very impressive setpiece. Agree with you on some of the hair style choices not being the most becoming for these very attractive actresses. Aside from Inger Stevens, they managed the seemingly impossible task of dimming Arlene Martel's innate sex appeal...I suppose in an effort to make her more demure and innocent-seeming. Fragile beauty Inger Stevens has always been a favorite, ever since I first laid eyes on her in Hang 'em High with Clint Eastwood. And as Randall can attest, Joey Heatherton smokes up the screen in a very good S1 episode of Mr. Novak.

I look forward to further "actress profiles." Lots of good candidates coming up, including Susan Kohner, Annes Francis and Helm, Dorothy Malone, and many more!
Yowsa Jeff! Thanks! The screen caps or stills really do give a new perspective to watching television as the human eye simply cannot otherwise pick up all the many details these display. Yes I think Inger's hair style made her look much older in 'The Beryllium Eater' but gorgeous just the same. Arlene Martel was quite saintly. I just noticed that I skipped over 'The Quick and the Dead' with Susan Kohner. I'll have to take another look at that one later as it would have been posted next.

You wrote something very funny about what I was doing here was god's work but I see you took that out. I guess god must have reached out to you. :)

I'm looking forward to posting episodes from future seasons because they look so much better and thus so do the screen caps. Thus far the only Season 1 episode that was decent picture quality was 'The Strengthening Angels'.

Hi all,

I had such a crush on Inger Stevens when I was younger. A beautiful woman who unfortunately, had a troubled life.

John
Hi John! I hadn't read anything about that, but I will now, thanks.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have a Route 66 related anecdote told to me by a good friend. Not sure if this is appropriate to post here but here it goes. It was told to me after he looked at the screen caps for 'A Lance of Straw.'

"I played pool one night with Janice Rule, when I was 16. At Jerry Orbach’s brownstone home. She was Ben Gazzara’s wife. She looked great, and I remember she announced she had to pee, when she left for a minute. That’s the first time I ever heard a grown woman say something like that."

I responded, "Incredible. Kinda ruined the illusion I imagine. Gazzara’s wife huh?"

His response, "No, when Janice said she had to pee, I found it shocking and sexy."

:blink: :blush: :blink: :blush:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have a question for you. How do you manage to be the top post on the last pages? :laugh:
Just lucky I guess. :)

There’s another interesting actress on an episode I recently re-viewed, An Absense of Tears. I guess you’ll get to that one sooner or later.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Just lucky I guess. :)

There’s another interesting actress on an episode I recently re-viewed, An Absense of Tears. I guess you’ll get to that one sooner or later.
You certainly are!! I've been trying to figure out without much success how many posts will fit on a page?? Most definitely, 'An Absense of Tears' is not only a good one, but the episode print is improved over what I've posted thus far. In regards to 'The Quick and the Dead' I had skipped it because the print looks like a VHS copy but I decided to work on it today. Even after tweaking the caps a great deal it looks really mediocre. I'm still debating whether or not to post it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neal, you must be using a different sourced DVD. I have the Shout Factory complete series set. I only see the warning card for using the best available source on A Fury Slinging Flame. So far, I haven’t completed watching the entire series on that set yet.

Oh yeah, about Arlene Martel, she certainly does look more innocent in the Lucia episode. It’s interesting to see her appearances in The Twilight Zone as she appears scary in the episode Twenty Two and regular in the episode, What You Need. Then in The Outer Limits she looks totally different with the hair color change. Of course in Star Trek she is made up as a Vulcan. I don’t watch Hogan’s Heroes but I see she made quite a few appearances there.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, you must be using a different sourced DVD. I have the Shout Factory complete series set. I only see the warning card for using the best available source on A Fury Slinging Flame. So far, I haven’t completed watching the entire series on that set yet.

Oh yeah, about Arlene Martel, she certainly does look more innocent in the Lucia episode. It’s interesting to see her appearances in The Twilight Zone as she appears scary in the episode Twenty Two and regular in the episode, What You Need. Then in The Outer Limits she looks totally different with the hair color change. Of course in Star Trek she is made up as a Vulcan. I don’t watch Hogan’s Heroes but I see she made quite a few appearances there.
Well as you can see I decided to post The Quick and the Dead after all.

Thanks, you have made me curious I'll need to look at Arlene Martel's other appearances!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961) Susan Kohner, Betsy Jones-Moreland, Pamela Searle

Route 66 - S01_pq_Disclaimer.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-1.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-3.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-4.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-8.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-10.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-11.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-12.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-13.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-14.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-15.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-17.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-21.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-22.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-23.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-32.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-34.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-35.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-36.jpg
Route 66 - S01E13 The Quick and the Dead (Jan.13.1961)-38.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great screen caps as always, Neal! Anne Francis is stunning, and Barbara Bostock is no slouch either. And you get the reliably effective emotive storm that is Jack Lord...

I remember when I first got the old Roxbury/Infinity Route 66 Season one/Volume one (still have my HMV store receipt dated January 30, 2008), and found that the last two episodes of those first 15 (Play it Glissando, The Clover Throne) were new transfers. Along with Man on the Monkey Board, having the best PQ among those episodes presented on the then-new DVD release. That heightened our expectations for Roxbury's eventual Volume two release...which was, indeed, fully remastered from the "fine grain 35mm film vault elements that they begged us not to ask for"... those elements, we were previously told, were beyond reach. But guess what? Someone botched the transfers' aspect ratio to a 16:9 WS presentation! As I remember, no redux or replacement program was ever offered. We were just grateful that someone was at least trying to give us this essential series on DVD. In our hobby nothing comes easily, and disappointment is often expected...our Route 66 fandom just grit our teeth and looked forward to Roxbury's season two release, having been assured that they would be spectacular and properly presented...my HMV receipt for that 8 disc set is dated November 14, 2008...a great set, and everything that fandom could reasonably ask for...Roxbury took their time in finally releasing season three, once again reverting to two 4 disc volumes (my purchases in October and November 2009)...and then, nothing for season four until Shout! Factory came to the rescue (May 21, 2012)...a long, long process...during that nearly 3 year interval, I was reconciled to just having my homemade DVD-R copies of season four derived from the 1980s TV Land airings...the Shout! sets have their own unique problems, due to their choosing to present seasons two and three on only 6 discs...compression degradation rears it's ugly head on a few episodes as a result...

It's my perception that the home video rights to both of Herbert B. Leonard's and Stirling Silliphant's series Route 66 and Naked City had only recently been settled with their estates around 2004-05, with those Route 66 rights now finally secured by CBS at some point during the Roxbury release era...a good thing in the long run, with the OCN 35mm film elements in environmentally secure preservation...though we also had to contend with a mix of old transfers amidst brilliantly remastered episodes with Image's various Naked City releases, from 2005 to 2013 when Image finally released a complete series set...Sony, as the successor to Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures Television, is the ultimate rightsholder for Naked City.

Here's my Route 66 and Naked City collections...among my most highly prized DVDs...
SAM_0809.JPG

SAM_0811.JPG

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"I played pool one night with Janice Rule, when I was 16. At Jerry Orbach’s brownstone home. She was Ben Gazzara’s wife. She looked great, and I remember she announced she had to pee, when she left for a minute. That’s the first time I ever heard a grown woman say something like that."
Not related to Route 66, but I have a similar story. When I was in advertising years ago, I had to drive Florence Henderson to a photo shoot in a very obscure part of the countryside. After driving around fruitlessly for an hour or so, Mrs. Brady turned to me and said "You don't know where the f*ck you're going, do you?"

I did not find it particularly sexy.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Great screen caps as always, Neal! Anne Francis is stunning, and Barbara Bostock is no slouch either. And you get the reliably effective emotive storm that is Jack Lord...

I remember when I first got the old Roxbury/Infinity Route 66 Season one/Volume one (still have my HMV store receipt dated January 30, 2008), and found that the last two episodes of those first 15 (Play it Glissando, The Clover Throne) were new transfers. Along with Man on the Monkey Board, having the best PQ among those episodes presented on the then-new DVD release. That heightened our expectations for Roxbury's eventual Volume two release...which was, indeed, fully remastered from the "fine grain 35mm film vault elements that they begged us not to ask for"... those elements, we were previously told, were beyond reach. But guess what? Someone botched the transfers' aspect ratio to a 16:9 WS presentation! As I remember, no redux or replacement program was ever offered. We were just grateful that someone was at least trying to give us this essential series on DVD. In our hobby nothing comes easily, and disappointment is often expected...our Route 66 fandom just grit our teeth and looked forward to Roxbury's season two release, having been assured that they would be spectacular and properly presented...my HMV receipt for that 8 disc set is dated November 14, 2008...a great set, and everything that fandom could reasonably ask for...Roxbury took their time in finally releasing season three, once again reverting to two 4 disc volumes (my purchases in October and November 2009)...and then, nothing for season four until Shout! Factory came to the rescue (May 21, 2012)...a long, long process...during that nearly 3 year interval, I was reconciled to just having my homemade DVD-R copies of season four derived from the 1980s TV Land airings...the Shout! sets have their own unique problems, due to their choosing to present seasons two and three on only 6 discs...compression degradation rears it's ugly head on a few episodes as a result...

It's my perception that the home video rights to both of Herbert B. Leonard's and Stirling Silliphant's series Route 66 and Naked City had only recently been settled with their estates around 2004-05, with those Route 66 rights now finally secured by CBS at some point during the Roxbury release era...a good thing in the long run, with the OCN 35mm film elements in environmentally secure preservation...though we also had to contend with a mix of old transfers amidst brilliantly remastered episodes with Image's various Naked City releases, from 2005 to 2013 when Image finally released a complete series set...Sony, as the successor to Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures Television, is the ultimate rightsholder for Naked City.

Here's my Route 66 and Naked City collections...among my most highly prized DVDs...
View attachment 103831
View attachment 103832
Thanks Randall! I'm sure you noticed Play it Glissando was only the second 1st season episode I chose for The Women of Route 66 which had superior picture quality and thus so did the caps. I'm awaiting my repurchased Roxbury sets. I got all 3 seasons for $39 bucks. You said 'compression degradation rears it's ugly head on a few episodes as a result.' Why would too many episodes of one disc effect specific episodes and not all the episodes on that particular disc? Is it because the worse the original print the worse the compression effects it? Btw I have all those Naked City editions including the 2-volume Best Of edition. Boy did these companies know how to suck us in. :)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's so sad that after all these years, no one has gone back and corrected the awful transfers on that Route 66 Season 1, Volume 1 release. Even sadder is the fact that those abysmal transfers now seem to be the official ones, used for those episodes whenever they air on TV or are streamed :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks