S01E19 An Absence of Tears (Mar.03.1961)-17.jpg
S01E19 An Absence of Tears (Mar.03.1961)-18.jpg
S01E19 An Absence of Tears (Mar.03.1961)-19.jpg
S01E19 An Absence of Tears (Mar.03.1961)-20.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Neal, great captures as always. And I see you have a quick trigger finger yourself, with which to catch the muzzle flash of Martha Hyer's gun! I find those muzzle flashes to be a real challenge for my arthritic flying finger of fate, ha, ha...

I love the panoramic Hollywood Freeway opening to an Absence of Tears, for which I took these screen caps a few years ago...no rear projection for our heroes to portray them driving down the freeway...they literally have 'em drive the damn freeway at highway speed in moderate traffic, being captured in a wide long distance shot with a zoom-in from a camera mounted on an overpass...and combining this with a medium field close-up with dialogue captured from a camera truck at speed in front of them...cinematic sweep for television, where many other shows would have done all this on a soundstage with rear projection...and not many at home would have noticed the difference, watching the show in 1961 on a 12 to 21" analog tube TV...

abscence 1.JPG

Abscence 2.JPG

Abscence 3.JPG

Abscence 5.JPG

Abscence 6.JPG

Abscence 7.JPG

Abscence 8.JPG

Abscence 9.JPG

Neal, you asked about why, with the Shout! Factory sets putting 6 episodes on a few discs of seasons two and three, the resulting compression would only effect the PQ of one episode and not all of the video files on that same disc. Not being knowledgeable about the technology of DVD video authoring, I don't have an answer. But I know it happened with disc one of Shout's season three release. When I compared the PQ of the first 6 episodes of that 6 disc third season to the older 8 disc Roxbury release, I discovered that just one episode was badly compromised by a slower bit-rate on the Shout set...as witnessed by my previous post in this thread with comparative captures I took for Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma? I thought that Journey to Nineveh also suffered some degradation, but not at all to the same degree...in season two (with 32 episodes), Shout loaded 6 episodes on discs one and six, but I hadn't finished comparing those episodes between the two sets...after discovering the terrible PQ for Shout's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma?, an essential episode that I regard as one of this series' best, I was relieved that I hadn't given away my older Roxbury sets when I purchased Shout's complete series set! Just for interest sake, I'll finish comparing the two releases as to the PQ for other possibly effected episodes.

BTW, I've tried to answer your quiz question about Fly Away Home pts. 1 and 2, and for the life of me, I can't point out the continuity error you obviously have in mind. I do notice that Dorothy Malone changed up her hairstyle between parts one and two, with associated changes of bling...probably the same with Jenny Maxwell...but I'm usually oblivious to such details, much to the irritation of women in my own life, for whom I appreciate their lovely face as the exquisite portrait, and things like hairstyling, jewelry and makeup as merely the frame for their portrait of beauty...eloquent, eh? Well, they just call me a bullsh*t artist, ha, ha...

Also this...with Martha Hyer's co-star in An Absence of Tears being Rin-Tin-Tin the second, and thus possibly being a b*tch herself, would that make this dog technically one of the girls of Route 66? Just asking, ha, ha...

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks for the very detailed response as per the episode compression and for your added sense of humor. According to USPS I will be receiving my Roxbury Route 66 sets tomorrow so I'll do some comparisons as well, that is if I can find the time from screen capping. What a timer suck! :) Hah!

Great Absence of Tears caps. I'm sure you've noticed as I post each episode I've become more generous as per going off-topic from just the Women of Route 66. Rin Tin Tin was a male. I checked that as I was going to add Rinny as a co-star. Btw when I screen capped S02E01 A Month of Sundays (Sep.22.1961) Anne Francis it was the most difficult one thus far. I became very emotional while doing it and ended up with 185 SCREEN CAPS!! I think I might need to cut that down. Another tremendous episode that requires a box of Kleenex at hand.

Ok, so here's the answer to the Route 66 quiz, and I'm sure it's nothing like what you had even considered.

Route 66 - S01E16 Fly Away Home, Pt. 1 -1.jpg
S01E17 Fly Away Home, Pt. 2 (Feb 17.1961)-1a.jpg

They forgot to add PART II to the episode title!!!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Ok, so here's the answer to the Route 66 quiz, and I'm sure it's nothing like what you had even considered.

They forgot to add PART II to the episode title!!!
I would have never noticed that, Neal! Wow, and it's so obvious!
Btw when I screen capped S02E01 A Month of Sundays (Sep.22.1961) Anne Francis it was the most difficult one thus far. I became very emotional while doing it and ended up with 185 SCREEN CAPS!! I think I might need to cut that down. Another tremendous episode that requires a box of Kleenex at hand.
Taking screen captures is time consuming, and sometimes compulsively so, as you have also discovered. It can be a lot of work. I haven't done it yet, but I've always intended to upload mine to the episode pages on IMDB. It's a damn shame that some lovely and talented actresses haven't a single picture of themselves on there. Actors too, and some truly great episodes deserve a gallery contribution from fans.

I agree, A Month of Sundays is a powerfully memorable episode...Anne Francis is great, as is George Maharis...and once again, I love the time and place of my Route 66 time machine...the boom-town Anaconda open-pit mine at Butte Montana, summer 1961 (a very hot summer as I recall as a 5 year old)...that wonderfully evocative fairgrounds and carnival...Butte is only about a two and a half hour drive from where I live, and the closest that the Route 66 production road company ever came to my hometown...

BTW, I compared some more season two episodes from the Roxbury to the Shout sets from the respective disc one and have found that another essential episode, Birdcage on my Foot, (with Robert Duvall, Diana Millay and Mike Kellin and filmed in old Boston) looks darker and less appealing on the Shout set, being much nicer on the Roxbury edition. Although the difference is much less stark than the terrible degradation with season three's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma? Now on to compare disc 6 of the season two Shout! set to Roxbury...when watching this series, it's a bit of a pain in needing to check which season two and three version looks the best before digging in...

In an otherwise high quality set, why, oh why, did Shout! present seasons' two and three on only 6 discs each?!!! Not enough capacity for 6 episodes being loaded on 3 discs between seasons two (32 episodes) and season three (31 episodes)...their discs with 5 episodes don't appear to suffer compression degradation...but just add one more episode and something had to give, PQ wise...Roxbury did the right thing presenting those seasons on 8 discs each!

It's a pipedream, but wouldn't it be great to have Route 66 on Blu-Ray? New 4K scanned transfers for the whole series, finally giving us the first 12 or so episodes in restored glory! And commentaries by George Maharis would be great too...to hell with streaming, I'm only comfortable and at ease having this great stuff on disc and in my filthy paws!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I would have never noticed that, Neal! Wow, and it's so obvious!
Even funnier is that it’s the very first thing I thought of since day one of viewing ‘Fly Away Home’. Had me wondering if it might have been the original intent to air it in a 2-hour time slot. Imagine during it's first-run the casual viewer tuning in and not even knowing there ever was a Part 1? There’s not even any recap in the beginning of Part II!
Taking screen captures is time consuming, and sometimes compulsively so, as you have also discovered. It can be a lot of work. I haven't done it yet, but I've always intended to upload mine to the episode pages on IMDB. It's a damn shame that some lovely and talented actresses haven't a single picture of themselves on there. Actors too, and some truly great episodes deserve a gallery contribution from fans.
Yes and this is all your fault! :)

That is an absolutely fantastic idea. I didn’t even know that anyone could do that. I bet that IMDb has a max limit for 66 freaks like you and I. Can you imagine if I posted every screen cap I will have done to every episode? Readers would probably wonder why there are so many images of the female stars and so few of the male. The IMDb staff’d be thinking “look at this whack-job uploading 185 images of a single Route 66 episode!”

I agree, A Month of Sundays is a powerfully memorable episode...Anne Francis is great, as is George Maharis...and once again, I love the time and place of my Route 66 time machine...the boom-town Anaconda open-pit mine at Butte Montana, summer 1961 (a very hot summer as I recall as a 5 year old)...that wonderfully evocative fairgrounds and carnival...Butte is only about a two and a half hour drive from where I live, and the closest that the Route 66 production road company ever came to my hometown...
I cannot believe both you and Marv have such vivid memories from when you were so young. What struck me more than anything was that I never realized the true beauty of Anne Francis as I was capturing angles and stills that exhibited her perfection as I’d never noticed before. You can rest assured with 185 caps you’ll see more than you want to see of Butte Montana and anything else from A Month of Sundays.
BTW, I compared some more season two episodes from the Roxbury to the Shout sets from the respective disc one and have found that another essential episode, Birdcage on my Foot, (with Robert Duvall, Diana Millay and Mike Kellin and filmed in old Boston) looks darker and less appealing on the Shout set, being much nicer on the Roxbury edition. Although the difference is much less stark than the terrible degradation with season three's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma? Now on to compare disc 6 of the season two Shout! set to Roxbury...when watching this series, it's a bit of a pain in needing to check which season two and three version looks the best before digging in...
Great. More examples for me to examine once I receive mine.
In an otherwise high quality set, why, oh why, did Shout! present seasons' two and three on only 6 discs each?!!! Not enough capacity for 6 episodes being loaded on 3 discs between seasons two (32 episodes) and season three (31 episodes)...their discs with 5 episodes don't appear to suffer compression degradation...but just add one more episode and something had to give, PQ wise...Roxbury did the right thing presenting those seasons on 8 discs each!
Did you ever see Riverboat? You do the math. (If you haven't, don't!) Don’t get me started with ShoutFactory Randall. Too many fans here and their feathers will get ruffled. LOL.
It's a pipedream, but wouldn't it be great to have Route 66 on Blu-Ray? New 4K scanned transfers for the whole series, finally giving us the first 12 or so episodes in restored glory! And commentaries by George Maharis would be great too...to hell with streaming, I'm only comfortable and at ease having this great stuff on disc and in my filthy paws!
Well, we can dream can’t we? But there’s just as much chance of that as the guys compiling their BluRay wish lists.

I wish I had made attempts to communicate with so many of the fine actors from Route 66 when they were still with us.
Ann Helm still is!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neal, one of the images you posted had a building that caught my eye when I recently watched the episode, An Absence of Tears. I noticed in the shot of the Corvette parked on the side of the busy road, in the background was a building with the sign, Roller Bowl. I looked that up, it’s located on Sunset Blvd and was a large roller skating place. These episodes that take place in Los Angeles or major cities are cool to pick out landmarks.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, one of the images you posted had a building that caught my eye when I recently watched the episode, An Absence of Tears. I noticed in the shot of the Corvette parked on the side of the busy road, in the background was a building with the sign, Roller Bowl. I looked that up, it’s located on Sunset Blvd and was a large roller skating place. These episodes that take place in Los Angeles or major cities are cool to pick out landmarks.
Very cool Nelson, literally! :) Randall is an expert pointing out where R66 episodes are filmed.
On a sidenote I just noticed that you've been a member here since 1999. That is absolutely impressive. I'm guessing you're one of the original members?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Very cool Nelson, literally! :) Randall is an expert pointing out where R66 episodes are filmed.
On a sidenote I just noticed that you've been a member here since 1999. That is absolutely impressive. I'm guessing you're one of the original members?

I think when I joined the forum, it was running for some time. Not sure how long it had been around. I was at another Home Theater type forum and somehow was made aware of this forum before that other forum closed. Hard to believe I’ve been here that long. From the laserdisc days to the start of DVDs to Blu Ray.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I think when I joined the forum, it was running for some time. Not sure how long it had been around. I was at another Home Theater type forum and somehow was made aware of this forum before that other forum closed. Hard to believe I’ve been here that long. From the laserdisc days to the start of DVDs to Blu Ray.
That's almost so far back it's like another dimension!! I just checked the archive.org WaybackMachine and the first snapshot of this website was on November 11, 1998. So it had been around for only about a year prior to you joining. I'll call you the forum veteran now. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's almost so far back it's like another dimension!! I just checked the archive.org WaybackMachine and the first snapshot of this website was on November 11, 1998. So it had been around for only about a year prior to you joining. I'll call you the forum veteran now. :)
I never thought of being a veteran here, but I guess I am. :)

I’ve only seen Effigy in Snow once and forgot that Jeanne Bal was in it. Surprising as I only had seen her in Star Trek.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I never thought of being a veteran here, but I guess I am. :)

I’ve only seen Effigy in Snow once and forgot that Jeanne Bal was in it. Surprising as I only had seen her in Star Trek.
Yes, Sir Veteran. But you don't own Mr. Novak: The Complete First Season? Great show and Jeanne Bal has a prominent role. It's currently out of stock at Amazon. I've noticed you consistently ask about Route 66 women who later became famous for their Star Trek roles. Here's a good article on Jeanne Bal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks