S03E15 A Bunch of Lonely Pagliaccis (Jan.04.1963)-32.jpg
S03E15 A Bunch of Lonely Pagliaccis (Jan.04.1963)-40.jpg
S03E15 A Bunch of Lonely Pagliaccis (Jan.04.1963)-41.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wonderful screen caps Neal!

Did you take those captures from A Covenant With Death from a DVD rip somewhere available online? (it was released by Warner Archive about 7 years ago)...I still have my DVR recording from a TCM broadcast last summer...yes, good ol' George Maharis was to be envied, locking lips with lovely Laura Devon AND Wende Wagner!

Thanks also for the telephone interview with George Maharis, done by the two 'Route 66 Guys'...I hope George Maharis is in good health and happiness these days!

I think A Bunch of Lonely Pagliaccis is an underated episode, but more so if you are receptive to Silliphant's artsy embellishments and literary metaphors which are sometimes admittedly overkill. Some have pointed out that this episode might have had the more steamy, sultry and dissilusioned elements emphatically delivered had Route 66's schedule allowed this to be filmed in the Mississipi heat in the summer of 1962, rather than late fall, and an apparently cool one at that.

But you have the lovely Laura Devon, reminding us again that she was more than a lovely face, but also an accomplished actress. And you have two fine character actors in Barry Sullivan (playing a William Faulkner type author, just months after Faulkner himself had passed away), and Warren Stevens as an outsider newspaperman lighting a fire in one repressed local "Lonely Pagliacci".

And you have a rare TV appearance by Broadway legend Vivian Blaine (starring as orginial Broadway cast In Guys and Dolls, as show-stopping Miss Adelaide, Nathan Detroit's girlfriend, also cast in the 1955 film), and Enter Laughing, Hatful of Rain, Hello Dolly, Gypsy, etc., a lengthy stage career with multiple Tony awards...known for her quote: "I put all my intelligence, such as it is, into playing dumb blondes"....here, she plays a world-weary columnist 'Dixie Martin' who speaks the episode title as an operatic metaphor for a world filled with lonely and tragic clowns.

And then you have an ultra-rare TV turn as an actor (only one of three gigs as an actor!) by novelist James Leo Herlihy playing reporter 'Jimmy Russell'...he was breaking big as a novelist who's books were being turned into big feature films, as with Blue Denim (1959, Carol Lynley, Brandon DeWilde, McDonald Carey), All Fall Down (he also wrote the screenplay from his book for this 1962 box-office smash featuring Warren Beatty, Brandon Dewilde, Eva Marie Saint and Karl Malden), and was soon to write Midnight Cowboy, upon which the 1969 Dustin Hoffman/Jon Voight film was based...

You just know that the actual remote TV crew and reporters from Memphis' own CBS affiliate WREC-TV loved doing a prestigious show like Route 66 and being on-camera!...just as previous CBS affiliates from Waco, Lubbock, Tucson etc., had in earlier episodes...another fascinating look at early television remote broadcasting technology, during the microwave uplink days only, and just as the sattelite era was beginning (first TV broadcast by sattelite was an address by President Eisenhower in 1958)... of course you also see their car roof mounted 16mm film cameras too, as the era of portable Ampex videotape editing suites was just over the horizon in the coming few years...

God bless Marty Milner, work-a-day actor on the road with his wife, 4 young kids (including a baby!) and a dog...completely without a burdensome ego or conceit about his place in this TV world, as opposed to his talented but troubled co-star who was engaged in a lose-lose battle with formerly trusted mentor Herbert B. Leonard...you might say Marty Milner had reason to be a little world-weary himself, but he was a good dad and husband, as well as a good (and well-paid) actor, providing for his family...quite comfortable to be the only tenuous continuity (along with the 'Vette) as a near bystander in this story, but a good one as a humble and decent witness from middle America. As to Tod Stiles, his comfortable and fortunate gig as the author's factotum and driver get kiboshed by the tragic revellations. Back to the road, and soon a few good 'Tod' episodes like Suppose I Said I was the Queen of Spain, The Cage Around Maria, and especially, The Cruelest Sea of All...

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thank you Randall. The above Photo Essay's were far more pleasant to create because the content was far better quality to work with.

Outstanding review. Outstanding commentary. I envy your gift of gab and greatly appreciate it Randall. You should be writing professional reviews for major motion picture and television releases.

I found it interesting how Miss Devon’s ability to change appearance is that of a chameleon. In only a brief 4 years between A Bunch of Lonely Pagliaccis (Jan.04.1963) and A Covenant With Death (1967) she goes from fresh looking Beth Chance to made-up Rosemary. Also very special was seeing George Maharis in color though four years after Route 66 ended.

While listening to that recent interview I posted I kept thinking, “is this the best these two Route 66 fans could do, interviewing him on a crappy phone connection? Wasn’t there a better way in 2021? But perhaps Mr. Maharis did not want to be seen on camera.

I too wish him continuing good health as it seems each day in 2022 we are losing yet another beloved person in show business.

Thanks for making me aware of these two fine Laura Devon films, and for your superb educational additions to my photo essay's!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Mr. Peepers is a shy science teacher at Jefferson Junior High. He is always faced with problems but is never outwitted.

S04E29 The Wally Cox Story (Jun.05.1955)
Stars Wally Cox Mary McCarty Mae Barnes Pat Hingle George Maharis as Marlon Brando Jane Moultrie Tony Randall

Wally Cox's career is depicted from his comedy discovery to the beginning of Mister Peepers. Featuring a very young George Maharis!​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The drovers rescue the passengers in a stagecoach that overturns. They learn a gunman known as "The Executioner" was following the coach. Now he is following them while they are with the drovers and no one knows who his target is.​

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Martin Milner Appearances ...

The Felony Squad Season (1966-1969) Stars Howard Duff Ben Alexander Dennis Cole

Twenty-year veteran Detective Sergeant Sam Stone is paired with rookie Briggs in a large Western metropolis. The tough as nails desk Sergeant is the father of young Briggs, and helps the force deal with tribulations and the unexpected that come with being on the police force.

S02E08 Hit and Run, Run, Run (Nov.06.1967) Stars Howard Duff Ben Alexander Dennis Cole Martin Milner Mark Lenard Jason Wingreen John S. Ragin Vic Tayback Harry Raybould Ben Aliza Rosanna Huffman

A man confesses to Sam and Jim that he's guilty in a hit and run accident. But there is no victim yet something makes the detectives decide to investigate further.

Insight (1960-1984) Stars Ellwood Kieser Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Martin Sheen

American Roman Catholic religious-themed anthology shedding light on the contemporary search for meaning, freedom, and love.

S01E192 Fat Hands and Diamond Rings (Nov 12.1967) Stars Ellwood Kieser Barry Sullivan Celeste Holm Howard Morris Martin Milner Mary Jackson Gigi Perreau Oliver McGowan Ned Glass Ted Cassidy Barry Cahill Harold Gould

A blustering, arrogant lawyer takes the case of a man indicted for an assault. Though it's obvious to his junior partner the man is a rapist, the lawyer never addresses actual guilt of his new client, preferring to dance around the question with small talk.

Dean Martin Show (1965-1974) Stars Dean Martin The Dingaling Sisters Ken Lane

Dean Martin hosts, with several celebrities as guests. There are musical acts and comedy sketches that break down comedy, racial, and sexual barriers all at the same time.

S09E08 Celebrity Roast: Johnny Carson (Nov.02.1973) Stars Dean Martin Jack Benny Joey Bishop Foster Brooks George Burns Ruth Buzzi Johnny Carson Wilt Chamberlain Mike Connors Howard Cosell Bette Davis Dom DeLuise Redd Foxx George Gobel Hubert H. Humphrey Jack Klugman Rich Little Kent McCord Martin Milner @38:28 Corbett Monica Louisa Moritz Bob Newhart Tony Randall Nipsey Russell Doc SeverinsenDoc Severinsen Dionne Warwick Jonathan Winters

Tonight Show host Johnny Carson is roasted by Dean and his friends.

The Littlest Hobo Season (1979-1985) Stars London Harvey AtkinAllan Royal

The wandering adventures of an intelligent German shepherd dog.

S02E8 Sailing Away (Nov.13.1980) Stars London Tracey E. Bregman David Calderisi Michael Copeman Lynne Deragon Martin Milner Michael Tough

An inexperienced sailor deals with her frustrations by sailing in dangerous conditions. Fortunately, she has the Hobo with her to help her when she gets into trouble.

Just watched that Felony Squad episode, a good one!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Just watched that Felony Squad episode, a good one!
I agree!

Fixed from Oct 7, 2021 (For now)

The Felony Squad Season (1966-1969)
Stars Howard Duff Ben Alexander Dennis Cole
Twenty-year veteran Detective Sergeant Sam Stone is paired with rookie Briggs in a large Western metropolis. The tough as nails desk Sergeant is the father of young Briggs, and helps the force deal with tribulations and the unexpected that come with being on the police force.

S02E08 Hit and Run, Run, Run (Nov.06.1967)
Stars Howard Duff Ben Alexander Dennis Cole Martin Milner Mark Lenard Jason Wingreen John S. Ragin Vic Tayback Harry Raybould Ben Aliza Rosanna Huffman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks