What's new

Posting just for the sake of posting? (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well if your a stay at home dad like me and love the HTF, there are a lot of posts and threads that need to be posted in.:)
I bet over a 1000 of my posts were arguing and expressing my stance on P&S only DVD releases, and trying to promote OAR Releases!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Hugh M

Second Unit
stay at home Dad...cool. I think I am going to apply for that position, but only after the kids are out of diapers.:laugh:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Henry,

If the post counts were eliminated and the "ditto's" still prevelant, i wonder if those same people would complain about people posting "ditto"
Absolutely! It offers no added information, no personal bias, no further understanding of the topic or even subtopics within a thread that often begin and serves ONLY to eat up bandwidth (admittedly a small amount but still) or to align themselves with a more well known/well respected member. So even without "post counts" it is still being used as an "ego boost" by most that do this.

Now I will add that sometimes I do makes posts that are not very relevant. My point is that some members do this much too often.

I respect everyone's opinion on this board and I would ask that you do the same.

Dan Hine

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Absolutely! It offers no added information, no personal bias, no further understanding of the topic or even subtopics within a thread that often begin and serves ONLY to eat up bandwidth (admittedly a small amount but still) or to align themselves with a more well known/well respected member. So even without "post counts" it is still being used as an "ego boost" by most that do this.
There are some instances when a 'Ditto' or 'me too' do serve a purpose, for example in the Studio Feedback section when some one want's a certain film released on DVD or something like that, and a studio figure see's this, all the 'Ditto's' and 'me too's' may help to influence a certain proposition.

And I'm reasonably sure the HTF has plenty of Bandwidth to deal with this. If it didn't I don't think the word association thread would be allowed.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

If a person has a high post count and only been here a short time, in most cases are reading and learning a lot, and should be respected like everyone else.

When I respond to a certain poster, I rarely even look at their post count.

Caleb Penner

Agent
My take on this. I've been a member for several years, and lurked for a year before I joined. Honestly, I rarely post. I may visit several times a week. I don't post much, because I'm no expert on anything you people discuss. I don't even own a TV, I just like movies a lot. Back when I joined there was only one forum section. Now there is like what? 20 or something. I only ever visit movies, software, and after hours. I have no need to visit hardware.(maybe in a few years, though)
What I'm trying awkwardly to say is that I visit several forums or groups regularily:
/. Those guys are weird, but I like to read the comments for fun.
K5 They are the real "Elitist Bastards."
trekbbs: People with no lives.
rec.sport.unicycling I post here maybe once every couple weeks or so.
HTF: I have found this forum to be the best on the 'Net on any topic. Even if I'm not really into "the hobby", I still enjoy reading what you guys think of the latest movies.
Some people post just to find a community. HTF has cool community. I think people posting on the 'Net in general just like the feeling that what they wrote brightened someones day up. Some people post because they feel superior to everybody, and an expert on all facets of home theatre.
I better go before I make a fool of myself. Oops- too late!
Caleb Penner
Please Vote For Her!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well Caleb, I must admit I wouldn't have nearly as many posts if it werent for the 'After Hours Lounge' and the 'Polls' sections.

But this forum is awesome and I really like interacting with everyone, I feel at home here. I also lurked a long time before I signed up, then after I signed up I was hooked. I just feel like I know everyone here and usually don't hesitate to post.

I also have membership at other forums and do not have nearly the amount of posts I have here.

One of them I have like 25 posts and I have been a member there longer than here.

Ike

Screenwriter
It sure is!
(I'm sorry, I hadn't seen Jack in a while, and well, it needed to be chimed in! :D )

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Alright,

I respect everyone's opinion on this board and I would ask that you do the same.
Why can't people just read what I said, accept that as who and how and am and RESPECT me like everyone else?

I do not understand what everyone else's big deal is. But if I've offended anyone then I do apologize.

Dan Hine

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Dan,
I hear where you're coming from and for the most part, agree with it. The only part that troubles me is that I am mainly a weekend poster. I usually have to "catch up" on Sundays. So, for me, personally, I LIKE to see a bunch of dittos...that way I can catch up faster :D But, like many people, I don't put alot of weight in post counts. I pretty much know whose post's I want to read and if they are in the thread I'm reading, it's dessert. By the same token, I don't skip over a post just because that particular poster was/is a new member or has a low post total.
Bruce

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
There is a thread that's been around for a year that is devoted to posting just for the sake of posting. It's name: word association. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am an active poster here, but I try not to post just for the sake of posting, except maybe for here. ;) Anyway, there was a brief time when I would post in the "Word Association" threads, but I stopped that a long time ago. There is certainly no purpose to "contributing" there except for boosting one's post count.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I'm another one of those people who's been on the forum for years but hasn't logged a lot of posts. Where do some of you guys get the time to post 20-30 times per day?
It probably doesn't help that many of my posts are LONG. It takes time to think it all up and write it out.
Maybe I need to head over to the Word Association thread and get my post count up there with what's expected of a 3-year-plus member... :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The truth is I would like to see my posts in the four digits. Then after that glorious 1000th I just wouldn't care. Or would I?

I have been on for 15 months and don't intentionally try to boost my post count with absolute fluff. Sometimes it may seem this way but as of yet I haven't recieved the infamous e-mail. Not all my posts are are witty, funny or even really informative but I justify it to myself that least I am exercising my writing skills(which most of you know needs some improving).

Anyway, the point of all this is that I'm 1 post closer to my one-thousandth.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think I'm addicted to posting! Help! Is there a treatment for this problem? Hmmmm.....
[facetious mode]The FDA has approved No-Post, a drug which is to be used for treating members of the Home Theater Forum website that have developed an obsession with their post counts.[/facetious mode]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Dan Hine: I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was arguing with you, cause I'm not, I just posted my thoughts that in some instances a 'Ditto' or 'Me too' may be informative.:)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------

If the post counts were eliminated and the "ditto's" still prevelant, i wonder if those same people would complain about people posting "ditto"

------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely! It offers no added information, no personal bias, no further understanding of the topic or even subtopics within a thread that often begin and serves ONLY to eat up bandwidth{/quote]

Yes i know, my point was that people will always find something to complain about :D

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Not really an issue imo, personally it doesn't bother me at all. This place is still a cool and informative place to come to :). I don't have nearly as much time I did in the old days now so I hardly notice :D.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Henry and Sean,
I know you guys were just throwing in your thoughts too. I've just been having a rough past couple of days. But things look to be moving up! :) Anyhow, off to work. Everyone have a great day.
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks