What's new

Where's Obi (off topic) (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
Apologies for the off-topic post, but I figure most of the people I remember and still remember me, would be looking at this section.

So, I have thought about whether or not to post this for many weeks, not for sympathy mind you, but just to let some old friends know about the journey I have been on for these many months. You see, as I type this, I am sitting in the ICU unit of the Mayo Clinic in Florida awaiting a heart transplant. Yes, that.

I'll spare most of the gory details, but the reason for ICU is that I am attached to a machine that controls/powers a small pump in my current heart to maintain blood flow. It is called an impella, BTW. The damage in not repairable. The only fix in a new heart.

Know this, I sorely miss three things...first is my wife, then our six dogs (!), and third is my home theater. One has to have priorities. ;)

Robert "Obi" George

P.S.

The machine next to me is the impella controller. Note the photo hanging on top. One of the things the nurses here encourage us to do is name our impellas. Shocker.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 74

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It was indeed a shocker to read that, Obi. May the surgeon’s hands be steady and true. We’re all pulling for ya.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Good Luck Obi! It’s amazing the amount of medical advances in cardiology and heart transplants lately.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert, I have thought about you often. This was not the way I had hoped to hear from you again.

I am very sorry to learn you are in this situation. I realize this is a major life event for you and the mix of emotions you must be feeling. I offer best wishes to you in getting through this.

Would you do the favor and keep us all updated? You have a lot of friends here, and I am glad you recognized that through your reaching out to everyone.

BTW, true to form, I got a nice little chuckle at your pictured friend.

Last edited:

Robert George

Screenwriter
Thanks for the good wishes, Ron. "Mix of emotions", you have no idea. I'm not ashamed to say I have probably cried more tears in the last 10 months than my entire life. But, it's time to move on. I'm being given a chance at a second life and I will enjoy it. Hey, I will now get two birthdays. Not many people can say that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Wishing the very best, Robert! Before you know it, you'll be back with your wife, dogs, and home theater again! :)

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
They can do a lot with hearts these days. A decade ago I was diagnosed with a "moderate" case of aortic stenosis. Annual checkups with an echocardiogram showed its progression until in 2018 I was told I needed a new aortic valve. A pre-op coronary angiogram showed I had one (but only one) RCA blockage. So my AVR became AVR plus single bypass. While they were in there they installed an Atriclip to close off my left atrial appendage to prevent the possibility of strokes caused by afib.

It was a pain but I got better and it's been over 5 years since my surgery. Take comfort in knowing that the cardiology people can do wonderful things these days.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hey Robert.
Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back!

Robert George

Screenwriter
Hey guys. Apologies for radio silence, but the past several weeks have been..."interesting".

First, the good part. I am indeed 4 weeks post op for a very successful heart transplant. I had one of the top surgeons in the country, lured away from Duke University by Mayo in Jacksonville. I was extremely fortunate to get a heart from a donor in his twenties with no issues such as Hep C or other problems. That's all I know about that (I'm not allowed to have any specific information for at least a year).

I was discharged 2 weeks ago Monday. Then things went sideways.

Five days after discharge, I developed severe abdominal pain, so much so we headed for the ER at Mayo ( we have to stay in the Jacksonville area at least through January) where I was diagnosed with a bowel obstruction. Not related to the transplant, BTW.

A second major surgery on my abdomen, nine more days in the hospital with enough Oxycodone to drop a horse, and finally discharged this past Monday. Still recovering. Today was my first day without pain meds.

Welcome to my world.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great to hear you’re on the mend. Feel better Obi!👍

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Obi, as others have said, it's good to have you back.

So happy to hear the transplant was successful. Very bad timing that an unrelated bout of abdominal issues would plague you next.

Wishing you continued recovery. Keep us updated on how you are doing. We miss you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am just seeing this thread for the first time. Glad to hear your heart transplant went well, Obi, and that you are recovering from the second issue.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks