What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Complete Films of Agnès Varda (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
zQHE891LazZ0Sw7jE3PnOSXsdP3yew_large.jpg

The Complete Films of Agnès Varda
A founder of the French New Wave who became an international art-house icon, Agnès Varda was a fiercely independent, restlessly curious visionary whose work was at once personal and passionately committed to the world around her. In an abundant career in which she never stopped expanding the notion of what a movie can be, Varda forged a unique cinematic vocabulary that frequently blurs the boundaries between narrative and documentary, and entwines loving portraits of her friends, her family, and her own inner world with a social consciousness that was closely attuned to the 1960s counterculture, the women’s liberation movement, the plight of the poor and socially marginalized, and the ecology of our planet. This comprehensive collection places Varda’s filmography in the context of her parallel work as a photographer and multimedia artist—all of it a testament to the radical vision, boundless imagination, and radiant spirit of a true original for whom every act of creation was a vital expression of her very being.

PROGRAMS AND FILMS
Agnès Forever — Varda by Agnès (2019), Les 3 boutons (2015) Early Varda — La Pointe Courte (1955), Ô saisons, ô châteaux(1958), Du côté de la côte (1958) Around Paris — Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Les fiancés du pont Macdonald (1962), L’opéra-mouffe(1958), Les dites cariatides (1984), T'as de beaux escaliers, tu sais (1986) Rue Daguerre — Daguerréotypes (1975), Le lion volatil (2003) Married Life — Le bonheur (1965), Les créatures(1966), Elsa la Rose (1966) In California — Uncle Yanco (1968), Black Panthers (1970), Lions Love (. . . and Lies) (1969), Mur Murs (1981), Documenteur (1981) Her Body, Herself — One Sings, the Other Doesn't (1977), Réponse de femmes (1975), Plaisir d'amour en Iran (1977) No Shelter — Vagabond (1985), 7 p., cuis., s. de b. . . . (à saisir) (1985) Jane B. — Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988), Kung-Fu Master! (1988) Jacques Demy — Jacquot de Nantes (1991), The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993), The World of Jacques Demy (1995) Simon Cinéma — One Hundred and One Nights (1995) La glaneuse — The Gleaners and I (2000), The Gleaners and I: Two Years Later (2002) Visual Artist — Faces Places, codirected with JR (2017), Salut les cubains (1964), Ulysse (1982), Ydessa, les ours et etc. . . . (2004) Here and There — Agnès de ci de là Varda (2011) Beaches — The Beaches of Agnès (2008)
The Complete Films of Agnès Varda

FILMS IN THIS SET

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There is bliss in this set! I have many favorites, Jacquot de Nantes is one of them. But sample some of the others and you will not be disappointed. She was a genius. In her later films you can also see what a warm-hearted, wonderful human being she was.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Looking forward to this! I've only seen Cleo from 5 to 7, so this will be an exciting journey. I found the Bergman set to be so much fun since I had only seen four films so far. There's something special in discovering a filmmaker's work like this.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This is fabulous news for lovers of international cinema. I had almost purchased the UK StudioCanal box, published in 2017, to get Cleo From 5 to 7 and Vagabond, which I previously have on Criterion laserdisc. I thought Criterion would never get anything which StudioCanal holds the rights to (I purchased their spectacular Tales Of Hoffman restoration recently because after five years, I've given up on Criterion getting the rights). Agnes Varda only died last year and this set contains her last two films - Faces Places was rated the third best film in 2017:

My tiny, dear, departed mother reminded me of Agnes Varda in personality and spirit! And she loved Agnes Varda's films too!
IMG_1608.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Criterion's slowly been reuniting with StudioCanal but it does appear like a number of titles Canal relicensed to other companies (IE: Ran, Contempt, The Third Man, etc.) are not coming back.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
OK - this is what we're doing today: French criollo tart (made with Valrhona manjari chocolate), wild raspberry sorbet - made from the raspberries I picked last weekend, raspberry liqueur and an Agnès Varda triple bill: Cleo From 5 to 7, Vagabond and Varda by Agnés. Anyone else care to join me? If we run out of raspberry liqueur, I have half a bottle of Limoncello di Capri in the fridge that might work.

IMG_2037.jpg IMG_2083.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks