What's new

Posting just for the sake of posting? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have notice A LOT of people that have over 500 posts that I have NEVER seen post... ever... I don't know how they do it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Eve,

Nice Sig!

My first car back in 1992 was a 76 Dart SE (Velure interior, A/C, cloth headliner, deluxe) that I proceeded to trick out and then destroy [youthful ignornace].

My dad has a black 64 dart as a drag car- complete with NOS and slicks-- it's actually a very smooth looking car.

Will have to buy myself another dart someday. During the 90's they became the car of choice for the Punk Rock crowd- so they're harder to find in my neck of the woods (where I got mine in 1993 for $200)

-Vince

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Stop it Jack, you're killing me:D
>>If we notice that a member is only posting in the After Hours lounge over a period of time we will email them and ask them to contribute something to the other areas of the forum. If they chose to ignore that request from us that is when the banning of the member will come into play.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Wow Parker, I had no idea that you guys monitored so closely.
Now, I'm paranoid. Especially since I've just been faking it all along here.:crazy:

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Something tells me that this thread is going to go on for a very, very, very long time.

As for posting for the sake of it, I agree that post counts don't mean jack. They used to back when this board was smaller. It's easier now to contribute more posts a day here simply because there's so much more to discuss.

If you really want to become a respected member of this board just write good posts and eventually people will remember you. Oh yeah, a good signature doesn't hurt either.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It doesn't take long for posting for the sake of posting to get tiring. There was a time when I would reply to almost every thread I entered but now I do much more reading than writing. Now it't not unusual for me to partially finish a reply just to figure out that I don't have anything interesting to say so I don't even submit it. Posting just for the numbers is a waste of time for both the author and the reader.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow Parker, I had no idea that you guys monitored so closely.
Now, I'm paranoid. Especially since I've just been faking it all along here.
Big Brother is always around watching you, without you even knowing that we're there!;):alien:
Crawdaddy

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Bump! :D
At least we're pretty good at avoiding this sort of behavior, and posts with (NT) in the topic which I see all over the place on some forums.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Wow .. this was a slow thread, then it just took off.

As for people with large post count you never see; I'd guess they are posting in areas you don't frequent.

I don't spend any time in the "trading zone", but post a few in the RPTV area. Some of these guys/girls spend a lot of time in one area.

Ask anybody who owns a Toshiba RPTV; bet they got some good advice from Chris White, Michael TLV, Errol.

on another topic ...

The advice from these guys on this board are the reason I bought a TW56X81 back a year and 1/2 ago.

Bet they had an influence on Parker too.

eep. this poster has no clothes. i'm a tad nervous re the booting off bit as i most def spend more time down in the bowels here with all you funky people than topside with the big-brained surface dwellers. the brilliance of their pulsing grey matter burns my thin knowledge deprived skin.

yes, i know that almost all of you post all over the place, but it's just more fun down here for me. there's just too high a percentage of stuff that i generally deem nit-pickelly going on up there. i will venture up and make more contributions tho if that what it takes to maintain membership in this hallowed divix haters club.

i agree with all you experienced dudes and dudettes that post count should not actually matter. still, i can't help but give quick glance at the post count and date of membership when i view most posts. for me, there is an air of legitimacy if someone is long in the tooth with both those bits of info. obviously, it's not the be-all and end-all, but...somehow stuff like (say) running into the word assoc thread a buncha times a day feels like cheating.

i've known of this site for well over a year, and was satisfied being a cheesy lurker until recently. i've read a fair amt of posting, and i too have noticed of late more "newbies" (i consider myself still one too) than normal jumping in with an amazing frenzy of posting activity.

not to impune the motives of all of em of course (and you know who you are), but it would be nice if the numbers came about more "honestly". running up post counts is stuff that reg'lar boards tend to encourage with "rewards" of new title changes at certain post counts.

being far too lazy to actually check out their other posts, i think it's probably safe to say that at least a good portion of the newbie posts must be entertaining/informative.

personally, with my level of experience/knowledge of film and dvd, i find it mindboggling the idea of having something postworthy to say four, five, six times a day, every day, for several weeks or months in a row.

but, i'm old. my mind is nowhere as fertile as it used to be.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But what do you call "old"? I'm a child of the '60s, thus putting me in the upper percentiles vis. age. (I'm squarely in the middle years, a boomer as it were.)

Seriously though, consider Eve's first post in this thread. She is new, and she found the tone of the original posts intimidating. Further, Eve is new to the wonders of home theater; "After Hours" is a good place to get to know the personalities around here. She should be encouraged.

Hey, I don't like it when people just boost their post-count, but in my experience at HTF that's a rarity. In fact, I can't think of anyone who just racks up the posts for the sake of it. (Patrick Sun, for example, never wastes bandwidth with meaningless posts; his stuff is substantive.)

Also, there have been a number of threads where I will aknowledge a very good post with a one- or two-word reply; the posts were appropriate in the context of the thread. Not to say I took umbrage with the original posts in this thread myself--but what about others?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
On the flip side there are people with tons of posts that willingly claim to know very little about the ins and outs of hardware.
Yep, that's me. I have a good amount of posts simply because I love to talk movies and DVDs. There are several forums at the HTF that I've never even BEEN to, and I refuse to participate in the Word Association forum...but them Polls are a different story.
If a large post count (and by large I mean like over 3,500 or something) tells you anything, it's that the member simply adores the HTF, has been here for a while, and participates regularly. This is not meant to imply intelligence, politeness, helpfulness - or overall lack thereof. :)
Am I PLEASED that I have been this active at HTF? Yeah, sure. Do I think it makes me more of an "expert"? Absolutely not. My years of brilliant film criticism do that for me. :D :laugh:

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I would just simply like to say that if a "moderator" would like to talk to me about posting on other areas of the board that would be fine and I would understand but I've only been here ummmm something like 2 or three days, give a person a chance to post on other areas of the board when the time arises. Cool?
Eve, I was just trying to be helpful to a new member, that's all.

Regarding post count, someone should start a poll to see if anyone really cares about it. I don't.

~T

well, it's the same ol', same ol' re age being relative and as young as you feel (and blah, blah, blah), but i'm in the middle part of the race too, jack, rounding the bend.

i certainly was not picking on eve specifically (in fact, i haven't even read any of her stuff yet. how pathetic is that?). my very first thread (that i actually started) was really well recieved so i know personally that, thankfully, content is still king. post-count (and length of membership) is a low priority here, if at all. really, it's just for vanity's sake anyway. ideally, who really needs to know? should it just be in the profile section? but, since it's there...?

i haven't been keeping track of who these "offenders" are either. it's just something that i thought i'd started to notice happening more an more over the last couple of months. apparently, i'm not the only one.

it really isn't a killer issue; just mildly irksome. a vet like you has "earned" the right to drop in one or two word responses (or even silly gratuitous ones). just seems kinda cheesy to be overdoing it too early on is all.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I wouldn't mind if the post count was eliminated. If one hangs around long enough, one will know who the "regulars" are.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Scott,
I dont care for post counts and wouldnt mind if they were absent from this board either.
Its strange to hear people talk about how alot of people are just posting to raise their counts, such as "ditto".
Like it bothers them or something.
If the post counts were eliminated and the "ditto's" still prevelant, i wonder if those same people would complain about people posting "ditto" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks