Posting just for the sake of posting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott McGillivray, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Hi Gang!
    I have noticed that there are a lot of new folks around here, and I think that is just great! Welcome to the best dang forum on everything movies-related. [​IMG]
    However, I also am noticing a that there are people here that have managed to get into the hundreds of posts in a matter of a month or even a week! I have nothing against that per se, but I was just curious if people were just posting for the sake of posting.
    I have been a member here for several years now and have only posted a moderate amount of times. I try to only post when I really have something worthwhile (hopefully) to say. Now, there are some members here that are just a fountain of knowledge and I am always interested in what they have to say and look forward to their many posts. My fear is that people will literally flood this forum with topics that have either already been started or previously discussed or just post in existing threads without having much to say. It would seem they are just posting to increase their "post count". This type of posting is certainly not "wrong" but I feel it can fill this excellent site up with a lot of clutter.
    I am curious what others, especially some long time members, think.

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Scott,

I do agree 100%. The response that really bugs me, as it is obviously only to boost post count, is "Ditto." Unfortunately some people think that if they have a large post count then they must know more than everyone else and are a true "elitist" but that's just bunk.

On the flip side there are people with tons of posts that willingly claim to know very little about the ins and outs of hardware. These members are usually in the know on all the latest movies and such. It goes both ways.

Overall though, I think most of the heavy posters that are new to the HTF would learn more (and therefore know a lot more) if they were busy reading instead of posting. My $.02

Dan Hine

3. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor
    Supporter

IMHO, it seems to me that the more posts you have the more respect you gain from the "regulars". I am not saying the "regulars" are disrespectful, rather you have a better chance of a long discussion and get your questions answered. Otherwise you could be classified as a "thread killer", and I have seen my fair share of that.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm sure that there are some who just like to hear the sound of their own keyboards, but don't be too quick to deal out judgment on the short-timers who are in the hundreds.
    Myself, I average under 3 posts a day, but have picked up recently (last year or so, I was at 2 posts a day around 2000). Why? Because I got new equipment (RP91 & 47" HDTV) and thus feel more qualified to chime in on reviews than when I had my 32" regular TV. Also I have more money, hence am buying more DVDs and equipment. Also those damned Star Wars (OT) threads! [​IMG]
    So people who are short-timers may have discovered this forum because of an equipment purchase, or some other reason, and are posting frequently to try and get more information about things. Making up for lost time, so to speak. I don't have a problem with it.
    For me, when I judge a poster, the date joined is every bit as important as the number of posts. But the most important thing is: quality of what is posted. I have many trusted people who have posted in the hundreds, as well as the thousands.

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Post count means exactly....bupkis.

It's the quality of the words in the post, not the number to the left that should be the indicator of a posts worth or not.

7. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I would agree with Carlo, that the "Member Since" date and quality of responses play more of a factor than post counts ever will (or should). Witness the outpouring of support for Joe Caps, whose presence and insight on this forum have made him almost universally respected, despite having a lower post count than I do.
    On the other hand, it's obvious that Ron Epstein is padding his post count with all of those DVD reviews he keeps posting in the Software forum. [​IMG]

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you really want to bump up your post count, check out the "Testing" area. Anyone remember a certain Trevor and his inspirational messages there?

10. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I'd worry more about why you're worried about post counts than to worry about post counts in the first place.
    [​IMG]

11. Scott McGillivray

Bill:
    I am not so much "worried" about post counts as people filling this place up with useless posts or, as I mentioned, topics that have already been beaten to death and are easily searchible.
    I suspect you realized that though and were just giving me a hard time![​IMG]

12. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I'd worry more about why you're worried about post counts than to worry about post counts in the first place.
    "Ditto"
    Life is too short to worry about such things. I think if someone doesn't appreciate a post someone new made that the post will die and no harm no foul. I have posted several things, certainly not in the hundreds, mostly in reply to a certain thread topic and I put up the thread about what was the best day of your life. I also put up a funny website because I thought others might appreciate it because that one about the ninja website was darn funny which is why the ebay add is up there too (that was also funny IMO [​IMG] ) In any event, like I said I'm new to HT and appreciate any advice and friendly hello's out there, but it kind of offended me to see this post and made me feel like I was doing something wrong or that I had offended this person or people. Some times it hard to get your words accross on a message board but that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, I mean just because you have been here a long time and haven't posted much doesn't mean people that post more than you are posting "just to post" some of us have more to say than others, and I enjoy reading all the post, I do a lot of reading too. Anyway just thought I would say how this thread struck me a little ol newbie.
    Peace
    Eve

13. Scott McGillivray

Eve:
    Welcome to the Forum. Perhaps you should re-read my original posts. I think I clearly stated that people who post a lot are NOT inheritly "wrong" or "bad" or anything negative. I simply was concerned about the site being filled with usless posts (which, as others have noted, are easily recognized) or posting about topics that have already been heavily discussed.
    I don't understand why you feel this thread to be directed at yourself. If you are posting intelligently and thoughtfully about subjects that are interesting or just plain fun, then great! If your just "posting for the sake of posting" then perhaps you might, as Dan Hine suggested, read more than write and post when you really have something to say.
    Peace! [​IMG]

14. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

15. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

posting

16. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

for

17. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

the

18. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

sake

19. Rain

Rain Producer

If occasional contributions to Word Association or doing Movie Tournaments over in Polls puts me in this category, then I stand guilty as charged.
    For the most part, I would agree, that posts that actually contain some insight or thought are more interesting. But what's wrong with lightening up once in a while?
    And, Eve, I think the posts of yours that I've seen so far have been interesting. (But by the way, your font is really small now--may I suggest trying "2" as your default size?).
    I say live and let live. If you are happy posting occasionally, then post occasionally. If you are happy posting alot (Patrick Sun, I'm looking at you), then post alot. Just play nice together. [​IMG]
    Oh, and I don't agree that post count has anything to do with how much respect you get around here. Some of the people I look forward to hearing from the most have very low post counts (Robert Harris, for example).
    EDIT: Sorry to interrupt your train of thought, Mike. [​IMG]

20. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

of