What's new

Paramount finally supporting DTS!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
This is great news indeed! Ive been waiting for news if a second Titanic release would finally have a DTS track. Now, it just may happen.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would LOVE Paramount to try out DTS's full bitrate 96/24 format on their 5.1 titles.

Also, Paramount could get Mi Casa on-board to do some great DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remixes by supplying them with the original archival soundtrack music/sfx stems to work with.

Mr. Blythe, I hope you're reading this! :D

Dan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yawn. That argument no longer holds weight and is what people have being arguing even before DTS titles hit DVD. Some of the best DVDs out there manage to have DTS tracks yet maintain superb video quality.
Sorry to bore you, but it might help if you read what I actually said. Nowhere did I state that discs with DTS tracks have inferior video quality. My only point is that space is finite, and if a DTS track is included, the space has to come from somewhere. Sometimes extras get dropped (as with nearly all of the early full-rate DTS discs). Sometimes the video quality suffers (I still believe this happened with the T2: Ultimate Edition). Sometimes the DTS track gets jettisoned because the disc's producers just can't fit it in without sacrificing video quality (X-Men) or omitting extras (Back to the Future).

And often enough -- particularly with 2-disc sets -- there's room enough for everything, and everybody's happy. But there's always a bit-budget, and that's my only point.

M.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Anamorphic rereleases of Jack Ryan films, Ghost and Darkness, and Titanic would make me drool to no end. And a DTS version of face/off would be sublime

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
and for supporting pan and scan...Serving Sara is dual release...and its hard to tell by the box

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Serving Sara is not the first dual-release from Paramount Home Entertainment.

The first was Charlotte's Web.

Then Grease.

Then Martin Lawrence: RunTelDat

Then Serving Sara

Also, some of their DVDs do offer both screen formats on the same disc.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Face/Off in dts with a new transfer and extras? I'd burn my LD version in the streets if this ever appeared. Breakdown also deserves a revisit, as the current non-anamorphic R1 dvd sucks. Hopefully the Jack Ryan set will kick ass (and featurettes for Hunt for Red October are already filtering through the BBFC over here). And as for Titanic - four disc set anyone?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
yeah, I knew they had more dual releases, but Serving Sara was the most recent, with the most commmon packaging. The color is exactly the same on them. As long as anamorphic is supported on all new releases, I can live with dual format. As long as I get OAR.
I really hope paramount uses DTS as a reason to fix some old releases though. Kinda like Fox did a few years ago. Braveheart DTS...oh my! But I think that Ghost and Darkness would be a big one for me, aside from Titanic. Forgot about Breakdown...I knew there was a reason I was avoiding buying it.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Serving Sara is not the first dual-release from Paramount Home Entertainment.
The key here is that Paramount is the only studio that has never released a P&S-only DVD, not even their family films. So complaining that it supports P&S because it has released several dual-format discs (realizing that Rutger's post was being informative and not complaining) is simply being silly.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent news, it's about time they joined in. Hopefully Indy gets dts.

Peace Out~:D

DanR

Supporting Actor
As I am always critical of Paramount around here, I will be fair and say that this is finally good news. Paramount committed to DVD in April 1998...it will be at least 5 years before a DTS title hits the shelves. I skeptically await title announcements, but it is a step in the right direction nonetheless. Better late than never I guess.

Hell, Paramount might actually have a good year in my eyes if they settle the BS with Lucasfilm and get Indy out later this year as well.

I bought one Paramount DVD last year. It's Paramount's move...

Regards,
Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It appears everyone is forgetting that Lucas will call the final shot on Indy and this is why it will NOT be in DTS.

I just hope Raiders gets a prestine, outstanding transfer; just a "good" transfer will be a huge disappointment for the greatest action/adventure movie of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks