What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Score -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Frank Oz's The Score has a dream cast, and every member plays their role to perfection.

Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Marlon Brando in his final performance, which seems to be (as Roger Ebert notes) channeling Sidney Greenstreet. Angela Bassett joins the trio.

The Score is a delightful heist film, that worked two decades ago, and works today.

Kino's new 4k UHD release (they're doing more 4k these days, and I love that do) is beautiful. It's another from Paramount and their video box of chocolates, but this, like The Italian Job, lives up to its 4k moniker in all regards.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Very entertaining film. Jamie Harrold makes the most out of his very small role- an associate of DeNiro’s character who lives in his mommy’s basement, and lives on his computer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw this way back when in the theater and enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the equally notorious stories about Brando being difficult on set. He was incredibly abusive to Frank Oz and stopped speaking to him during the shoot. He would only allow DeNiro to give him direction. One report said that when Oz would try to direct Brando, Brando would turn to DeNiro and say “Tell Miss Piggy to shut the fuck up.”

I’m sad to see that Oz hasn’t directed many films after this.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed this movie - what more can be said about the cast. I also love the setting and the atmosphere. I watched the UHD BD and it's really nice indeed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, one of the most amusing stories about the making of this picture is one I heard Edward Norton tell. He was doing a scene, I believe his first scene in the film that involved Brando, De Niro, and Norton together and in the scene Brando is pouring himself some water out of a bottle. Well, Norton is sitting between the two, watching Brando delivering his lines and Brando misses the glass and pours the water all over himself but just keeps going like he does not notice he is doing it. Norton trying not to crack up, looks over at De Niro and much to his surprise, De Niro has dozed off! He is sleeping. They yell cut and De Niro suddenly wakes up and Norton is looking at him and Robert says "Did I fall asleep?" and Norton says "Yes, you did." and De Niro just starts laughing.

Now, this story was funny and I might have thought that both Brando and De Niro were having a bit of fun with Norton but I was at the Tribecca film festival in around 2004 or 2005 and I was out for drinks with some people. They asked me if there was anybody I would really like to meet, and I said De Niro. I was then warned that if I meet De Niro be prepared that there are a couple of things he might do. They said if I was out to dinner with him, he may tuck in to whatever was on your plate without warning if he thought it looked good and wanted to try it and the second thing was that the guy can fall asleep at the drop of a hat anywhere. So, you could be talking to him and look over and he is asleep.

I never met De Niro but when Norton told that story it made me realize the people that were talking about him falling asleep were not kidding. Since then I have heard other stories of De Niro just falling asleep when he is out with people or they have come to see him. So, this seems to be a thing.

I don't know about the food thing but there is a video on Youtube that is De Niro, Scorsese, and Don Rickles having dinner together and sure enough, when the food arrives you can see De Niro ogling Rickles' plate and he does without warning really, suddenly just sample what Rickles is having. I was not sure if the people were kidding when they said these things to me but based on the evidence, I guess the guy does doze off and he will attack your plate if he likes what he sees.

Here's the video of De Niro attacking Rickles' plate, at 4 minutes and 10 seconds in:

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Maybe De Niro has narcolepsy.

Never heard that but my guess is it just getting older and who knows what sort of hours he keeps. He may be a guy that likes to work at night causing him to be tired during the day. I think it is a bit odd that he could fall asleep during a scene, you would think he would be on at that moment. I guess it is possible he is a narcoleptic, but with that don't you fall into a deep sleep, he seems to be more cat napping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks