What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All I can say is what I see.

On my Sony 4K player and LG 4K OLED, the 4K appeared notably darker than the BD.

Did you compare the two? Maybe you'll think the BD looks too bright and the 4K "just right".

I found the BD more satisfying, but YMMV.
As I stated, I'm very happy with the 4K disc so why should I bother to watch the Blu-ray looking for issues. I can understand you as a reviewer doing so, but I'm a happy camper.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
There is a scene near the end that looks quite a bit more "dupey" than the rest of the film, at least on the Collector's Edition DVD. I don't have the disc at hand to check and my memory isn't perfect, but I believe it's just before the school pageant, during the daytime, and Atticus and Scout are walking down the street. It's possible that this scene is a blowup, or of course the best available material was used if none better exists. If my description isn't too far off, can anyone comment on how the scene looks now?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my old Blu-ray last night (which was part of the Gregory Peck Collection which I reviewed when it was released). I adore the film, but it looked just wonderful to me, and I'm satisfied with what I have.

HarleyDog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis Haney
I will add my two cents. My partner came into the room when I was watching the 4k and commented how amazing the picture looked. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of his very favorite films, having watched the BD many times, and he usually doesn't notice such things. He was also blown away by how much improved Blow Out looked in 4k, noting how grungy the film used to look.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I started watching this last night. Beautiful film, beautiful 4K. Everything about this movie is pure magic.
The film was shot in an early process called black & white, which eliminated color.
I understand it was also captured on a substance called celluloid, which eliminates all the constituent atoms from a subject and its environment. This innovation produces a much lighter (and thinner) representation of, say, Gregory Peck, or the Universal Studios backlot in Hollywood, where it was shot.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this now. This is an upgrade from the blu-ray! Seems like it's mostly from the OCN?

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
All I can say is what I see.

On my Sony 4K player and LG 4K OLED, the 4K appeared notably darker than the BD.

Did you compare the two? Maybe you'll think the BD looks too bright and the 4K "just right".

I found the BD more satisfying, but YMMV.
I have the Blu-ray and had to change from ISF_Dark to ISF_Bright on my LG B8 to get the 'correct' picture. ISF_Dark is my default for most content. I have far more trouble streaming 4K but I've found Technicolor_Expert works best there.
When settings changes are required I put a sticky label on the case with notes as a reminder, no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks