What's new

Paramount finally supporting DTS!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I can't see Paramount going back and doing We Were Soldiers in DTS since it just came out (kind of like Sum of all Fears). I only see them doing it on re-releases - such as Titanic, Top Gun, etc. Time will tell.

YANG

Screenwriter
From JEFF...
"You're not going to see any more Warner titles in DTS in the US, I wouldn't be shocked if it came out in Asia tho."

The release of DTS DVD depends highly on the international distribution right ownership by which studio...example,DRIVEN by FRANCHISE FILMS internationally.

Caleb_s

Auditioning
Yes, I think that we have all heard the news that Paramount will release THE JACK RYAN TRILOGY but not The sum of all fears :frowning: as DTS titles! What other titles do you think they will release or re-release as a DTS title? I think there are good chances for:
Indiana Jones
Tomb Raider (re-release)
Titanic (maybe the special edition)

:star: :star: :star: anything else?:star: :star: :star:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd love to be a fly on the wall over at Paramount's Home Video Division when they are deciding what titles Merit DTS. I'd like to see how they decided to include DTS on "Hunt for Red October" "Patriot Games" and "Clear and present Danger", which are up to 15 years old, over a recent Title Like Star Trek Nemesis. Even Nemesis's Poor Box office cannot be an excuse as other Flops have been known to rate a DTS Track. I Guess DTS Might have pushed the disk to two Disks and that was the determining factor. Still there are other New releases not getting DTS.

Nemesis Should have had a DTS Track.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Even Nemesis's poor box office cannot be an excuse as other flops have been known to rate a DTS track.
What recent flops from Paramount have had DTS tracks? Actually, what recent hits from Paramount have had DTS tracks?

Paramount is just getting their toes wet with DTS, testing the waters, which is perfectly normal.....it's not like Nemesis was singled out.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
"The three new DVDs replace 1998 releases that were among Paramount's first forays into the format and offered marginal picture quality. The new discs look much better in new enhanced-widescreen transfers. They also mark Paramount's first use of the DTS surround-sound format, in addition to Dolby Digital. (Paramount executive Martin Blythe called it an experiment and said no other DTS titles are planned in the short term.)"

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Well, I hope Paramount gives us more titles in DTS, because Clear and Present Danger sounded downright amazing in DTS.

AJG

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Always more good reasons to go region free and DTS is one of them. We Were Soldiers--DTS HK Region 3 sitting on the shelf, Tombraider--DTS Japan Region 2 sitting on the shelf, Sum of All Fears--DTS Japan Region 2 (rented but the sound was great)
Even if the company's are slow in region 1, there's a whole new world out there.
Still waiting for a DTS (and anamorphic) Titanic though....

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Just throwing in my encouragement for Paramount to continue with the DTS releases. I purchased the new DTS versions of the Jack Ryan films and they sound great. Titanic, Top Gun and Days of Thunder (guilty pleasure) would also be great.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
How much of an increase could dts provide with 15-20 year old elements like those from the Indiana Jones films? As we've heard, dts provided so little improvement for BTTF that the producers decided to just provide Dolby Digital tracks.
Well for the record the Indy films have always had much better soundtracks than the BTTF series... dts would be of benefit here.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I too purchased the new Jack Ryan trilogies. The DTS is well worthwhile. Bring us more DTS titles Paramount!!

RobD

Second Unit
Tomb Raider (re-release)
The Italians got a DTS 96/24 release of this one. Im assuming they upsampled but maybe 96/24 soorce material exists for Tomb Raider. If the disk has the space and the source is suitable I feel DTS 96/24 should be considered too.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Having listened to DVD movies on a professional setup that can decode both Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, I really don't find that much difference in terms of sound quality. The sound quality of the surround sound tracks really depend more on how well the audio recording engineer properly encodes the sound on the DVD disc itself.

I wouldn't be surprised that the upcoming Indiana Jones Trilogy uses Dolby Digital EX ONLY, given how well Lucasfilm has done with the two Star Wars prequel DVD's with Dolby Digital-only soundtracks.

It'll be interesting to see which Paramount movies will be among the first to get DTS 5.1 or DTS-ES 6.1 soundtracks.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Seems like Paramount is releasing DTS titles in R3, and it's for a movie they don't even own the rights for worldwide distribution. In fact it's not even a Paramount R1 release, check out:

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=7959

Different than many had said before it's not like "We Were Soldiers", "Tomb Rainder" and others that were released by a different brand elsewere with DTS soundtrack. This time it's their own thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks