What's new

Paramount finally supporting DTS!!! (1 Viewer)

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Dave, a really nice clean beautiful transfer and a really good DD5.1 soundtrack is all I hope for. A second disc of extras will be some nice icing.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Dave,

Lucasfilms will surely not have the final word alone.
Spielberg is the director and Lucas only produced it.
The chance that Indy will get dts is pretty good seeing that Paramount finally is commiting to dts and that Spielberg normally uses dts on every dvd he releases.

I think that Lucas will go along with his buddy Spielberg and do dts.

On the Paramount doing dts subject I am most happy with this decission in doing dts.
There are a lot of titles that they could re-release with dts sound like TITANIC, DEEP IMPACT , MISSION IMPOSSIBLE , HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER and many more.

Here's hoping they will be using this as a standard format for their bigger releases.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Quint,

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a Lucasfilm. He OWNS this movie - just like Star Wars.

Lucas didn't direct all of the Star Wars films either, yet calls all the shots. Lucas has all the legal control over this movie and he makes the final call on the video releases. (I am not sure about the other two Indy movies.) I am not certain how much Spielberg influence will make this title a DTS. Lucas seems to have closer ties to Doly Digital. In all honesty, I would prefer DD-EX with the movie so that more of the bandwidth can be used for picture quality. However, Raiders isn't too long (about two hours).

DanR

Supporting Actor
You guys are both right. However, Lucas pretty much says/alludes these days that Indiana Jones is Spielberg's. Sure Lucas created the character and it is a Lucasfilm property, but Spielberg is more or less the sole driving force of taking Lucas's ideas/stories and getting them onscreen as the movies we know and love. Lucas defers to Spielberg with this series.

I believe Lucas(film) would have initiated (or will initiate) the DVD release with Paramount, and surely Lucas has thrown (or will throw) his hat in the ring as to what he'd like to see on the discs. But in the end, Lucas will eventually defer to Spielberg since he considers them to be "Spielberg's" movies.

Either way though, I agree with you guys. Give me great picture and an impressive 5.1 surround mix, and I will be happy. I cannot wait for the day I see that wonderful shot of Indy agains the sun putting his hat on as they dig into the well of the souls.

I also agree that Raiders is the greatest action adventure movie of all time.

Regards,
Dan

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
How much of an increase could dts provide with 15-20 year old elements like those from the Indiana Jones films? As we've heard, dts provided so little improvement for BTTF that the producers decided to just provide Dolby Digital tracks.

If the dts tracks give a noticeable improvement over the DD track, by all means include it. Just to include a dts track for marketing purposes seems like a waste of bandwidth to me.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I think the whole point is that since ST - Nemesis tanked at the box office, the next movie is uncertain....so instead, they rerelease all of the Star Trek's AGAIN(!) in DTS.....and of course, many of us will be stupid enough to buy them AGAIN(!).

(Yes, I'm including myself in this...)

Mike

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Give me Indy with pristine video and great DTS audio, and I'll die happy. :)

Well, until an 8 channel, high rez PCM disc with 1080p video is released!

:D

Dan

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
How much of an increase could dts provide with 15-20 year old elements like those from the Indiana Jones films? As we've heard, dts provided so little improvement for BTTF that the producers decided to just provide Dolby Digital tracks.
Well, DTS was provided for Jaws, Close Encounters, and ET, so I don't see why the Indy films can't benefit likewise.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The films listed above are all films directed by Speilberg, and I believe he's still a part owner of DTS, so I think that means there is a good chance for a DTS track on the Indy films.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Where did this rumor start about Lucas absolutely hating DTS? In fact when Episode I came out DVDFile interviewed Jim Ward from Lucasfilm and he just said that leaving DTS off was a space issue:

"That was a tough call. When you go about configuring and compiling a DVD, especially a two-disc set, there is a lot of content issues and bandwith issues that we have to take into account. So we had to make some tough choices in order to accommodate all of the desires of everyone involved in terms of content included on the disc. And (not including a DTS track) was just one of those decisions we had to make."

I would guess since Spielberg is famous for not including commentary (ot allowing others who work on his film to do one) that adding a DTS track might not be as much of a space issue as it was on Star Wars. I would bet DTS takes up more room than a commentary track--but that does mean there is some room for it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Honestly I see this as a marketing ploy by Paramount to sell discs to enthusiasts. Their so-called special editions aren't very special when compared to other companies and they have plenty of room for the DTS track. They have put out a few special editions but nothing to really talk about.
This however doesn't mean I won't buy them. I surely will.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I see this as a way for Paramount to try and redeem themselves, if they'll work smart.

Do regular and extra special editions like Sony SuperBit from now on:

The bulk of Disc 1 is for the movie's video and one great DTS (DTS-ES 6.1 would be really cool) and one great DD track. No Spanish or French tracks taking up room (subtitles instead) (obviously, if the movie was not English to begin with that the original language would be used). Afterall, shouldn't we be about original language presentations and not just OAR?

Disc 2 would contain the video supplements so as to increase the available video bitrate for the movie on disc one (and allow for DTS all the time).

Disc 3 would be needed if there is a ton of supplements or the movie is so long that it warrants being split to two dual layered discs (like the excellent Fellowship of the Ring DC set-- Paramount take note).

Quality A/V (DTS on most all newer movies-- no, I don't mean DTS for a classic title like Rebecca or Wings) and solid supplements (*cough* and I don't mean those crappy, fluffy EPK's or P/S transfers *cough*). Why not?

Dan

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Now that Paramount is on board with DTS ... Finally!... it seems that most of the studios always go back to catalog title(s) in order to get into the DTS game. With the announcement of the Jack Ryan box set in DTS, when can we expect Paramount to release a "NEW" title in DTS?
Any guesses?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My guess would be they'll release their non anamorphic titles when they were undecided about dvd and how much to invest? I would hope these get it or at least anamorphic special editions:

Top Gun
Ghost & The Darkness

I would have listed the Jack Ryan films but they'll be here soon! :emoji_thumbsup:

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Here are the movies I wish Paramount would go back and do again with the DTS track added:

Top Gun
Face Off
We Were Soldiers
**TITANIC**

I just hope that Paramount will be consistent in their support of DTS on their DVD's. By that I mean, release one movie with it and the next two without it. I hope they look at each type new title and without sacrificing video and such, they can add the DTS track.

Only time will tell.... :)

Declan

Second Unit
Warner havent really made a big push with DTS though. The Leathal Weapon trilogy dir cuts (which sounded better on the DD5.1 track), Twister, True Romance, American Outlaws and a few others is'nt really a huge section of their catelog in DTS.

You would have thought that with that new Matrix SpEd that a DTS trtack would or could have been included.

Maybe Reloaded and Revolutions will have more chance in the next 9-12 months or so.

YANG

Screenwriter
Looking back at PARAMOUNT's back catalogue titles,most prabably the first batch of titles which do not have anamorphic transfers will highly possible to be in PARAMOUNT's re-release list...

These includes already mentioned...
GHOST AND THE DARKENSS
TOP GUN
FACE OFF
and TITANIC**.

Others that were not mentioned are...

BRAVEHEART**- Already available in other regions as special editions...2 disc sets.Most probably if there is any DTS release...due to the running length of the film...**it will be a "breaker" release just like PEARL HARBOR.

THE RELIC- No special editions from other regions yet...Short clip in DTS demo disc already triggers collector's attention...a DTS release from PARAMOUNT R1 will be a first...

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE- First edition release is non-anamorphic,with the addition of DTS surr track...the re-release maybe a hit.

DEEP IMPACT- Compare to ARMAGEDDON,DEEP IMPACT have much little action to talk about,most of the film filled with moody music scores from JAME HORNER...Most collector's will want to get this with DTS presentation...just in time for the theatrical release of THE CORE.

I do wish by the end of the yr,these titles would be released with DTS surr...

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
DAYS OF THUNDER

YANG

Screenwriter
DECLAN,
AMERICAN OUTLAWS and TRUE ROMANCE release with DTS is not an effort from WARNER...
These two titles are mastered in house by MORGAN CREEK...WARNER only press the final product.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Warner declared their DTS experiement with LW 1-3, Twister and IWAV a failure because they didn't increase sales. Perhaps they MIGHT have increased sales had they done more than included an itty bitty DTS logo on the back, but we'll never know.

You're not going to see any more Warner titles in DTS in the US, I wouldn't be shocked if it came out in Asia tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks