What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Face/Off -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It seems as though it's taken at least 30 years to finally attain a quality version of John Woo's 1997 Face/Off on home video.

I seem to recall it being one of the early HD releases, and that it fit into the mold of "amazing plastic video," with no detail, only video game quality imagery. Last July, it was released on Blu-ray by Paramount. I didn't see it, possibly from fear of my original HD experience.

The good great news is that Kino is releasing the film in 4k. It may be the same July master. I have no idea. But it's gorgeous, totally film-like, and about bloody time.

As a film, Mr. Woo's third US production is a fun journey, with a great deal of suspension of disbelief necessary.

But the perfect textures found in this 4k release are finally worth the price of admission.

Gorgeous velvety grain, terrific color and black and white levels.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ending the year on a high note. Will be ordering this. Thanks for the positive review!

Reactions: PMF

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Not available yet on the sale order that I just put in with Kino, naturally, but I'll have to order this one ASAP sale price or not.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Paramount's 4K discs tend to be hit or miss (The Firm's 4K debut was mostly critically panned, at least by fans) so whenever there's a well-reviewed disc (like this one) I'm always curious about who handled the scans. I can never remember which studio likes to keep restorations in-house; I do know Paramount isn't one of them since they're allowing Arrow to do the The Shootist. In any case, I watched most of this last night and agree it's a great-looking remaster. It kind of has to be, no? Why else would Kino (or Paramount) bother with a reissue? All previous editions have been downright terrible.

I've always had a problem with the "science" in this film. Literally everything in it is highly implausible. It's a fun and unique concept to be sure and it's one of Woo's best American films but you have to suspend disbelief 100% of the time. I only like doing this about 25% of the time - anything after that is eye-rolling time but, like I said, it's a rollicking good time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was a bit worried about this one, as there’s never been a decent version of it and you never know what you’re going to get with Paramount, but it looks amazing.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I've always had a problem with the "science" in this film. Literally everything in it is highly implausible. It's a fun and unique concept to be sure and it's one of Woo's best American films but you have to suspend disbelief 100% of the time. I only like doing this about 25% of the time - anything after that is eye-rolling time but, like I said, it's a rollicking good time.

It's far too much eye-rolling for me. By the time they gave John Travolta his love-handles back at the end, I yelled "F*** THIS STUPID MOVIE!!" at the screen and have never watched it again. :biggrin:

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
It seems as though it's taken at least 30 years to finally attain a quality version of John Woo's 1997 Face/Off on home video.

I seem to recall it being one of the early HD releases, and that it fit into the mold of "amazing plastic video," with no detail, only video game quality imagery. Last July, it was released on Blu-ray by Paramount. I didn't see it, possibly from fear of my original HD experience.

The good great news is that Kino is releasing the film in 4k. It may be the same July master. I have no idea. But it's gorgeous, totally film-like, and about bloody time.

As a film, Mr. Woo's third US production is a fun journey, with a great deal of suspension of disbelief necessary.

But the perfect textures found in this 4k release are finally worth the price of admission.

Gorgeous velvety grain, terrific color and black and white levels.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Agreed Mr. Harris this looks solid from beginning to end and sounded great, always a fun watch with a great plot great acting just a fun movie.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Demanding plausibility from a John Woo film is similar to expecting the same for the romantic plot of a Fred Astaire film. Why Fred and Ginger continually break up doesn't make a lot of sense, but then, you're there to see the the dancing. Likewise, in a John Woo film, it's those liberating action sequences that is the film's reason for being. Those actors transcend gravity as well as logic, but it's so thrilling and transformative, does it matter?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The last top-tier John Woo film, before he lost his edge. Very grateful to Kino Lorber for rescuing this from the unwatchable 15 year old blu-ray. Not to turn this thread into the customary "I want ..... on 4K" but if some company suddenly announced a few of his earlier, Chow Yun-Fat/Tony Leung shoot-'em-ups on newly remastered 4K discs, there would be much rejoicing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What anyone thinks about this?
Is it THAT obvious when you watch the film?
Sorry I don’t take anything seriously from that hyperbolic sites forum. It’s the worst.

I’ll judge for myself when I get the disc and let you know.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Sorry I don’t take anything seriously from that hyperbolic sites forum. It’s the worst.
Hyperbole or not, that doesn't mean that these "errors" aren't there, where they shouldn't be in the first place since we're paying premium prices for the discs.
And another one:

Now, it's in the eye of the beholder if he perceives them or not.

For me personally, seeing such errors is like purchasing a pair of pants with a hole in its pocket. It doesn't show outwards, but that doesn't mean it's not there, and I'd definitely would like to return them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hyperbole or not, that doesn't mean that these "errors" aren't there, where they shouldn't be in the first place since we're paying premium prices for the discs.
And another one:

Now, it's in the eye of the beholder if he perceives them or not.

For me personally, seeing such errors is like purchasing a pair of pants with a hole in its pocket. It doesn't show outwards, but that doesn't mean it's not there, and I'd definitely would like to return them.
I’m just saying I don’t trust anything from that site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks