What's new

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have the Blu-ray coming to replace my 2006 DVD boxset (finally). Online comparisons between the 2012 & 2022 Blu-rays show improved highlight detail (good) but reduced shadow detail (black crush, bad). Is this true for the 4K? If so, then there must be a technical reason for it. If it's not true, what's the reason (a by product of HDR grading?). Hopefully the 2022 Blu-ray has not been intentionally dumbed down. Why can't we get the best of both (Blu-ray) worlds?
I watched the Blu-ray yesterday. I set my LG B8 to ISF Bright and viewed in a dark room to give shadow detail a chance. The instances of black crush were fleeting and I'm pretty sure due to encoder bit rate throttling. The 4K probably looks better. However this is a minor complaint, in general the Blu-ray looks so much better than the 2006 DVD. It was definitely a worthwhile investment.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Arrived yesterday

20221023_073530.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched the Blu-ray yesterday. I set my LG B8 to ISF Bright and viewed in a dark room to give shadow detail a chance. The instances of black crush were fleeting and I'm pretty sure due to encoder bit rate throttling. The 4K probably looks better. However this is a minor complaint, in general the Blu-ray looks so much better than the 2006 DVD. It was definitely a worthwhile investment.
It’s one of those miracle restorations, as the original elements were severely over-printed.

Beautiful work from Uni.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm thinking of including this movie as part of my titles I'm watching in the "HTF October Scary Movie Challenge". In 1962, this movie scared the crap out of me more than any other movie I watched in my childhood. Both, this movie and "The Night of the Hunter" had a profound effect on me as not all monsters have to be supernatural nor creatures that walk on more than two feet. These type of monsters are real and even more scary to me.
But even with that said, Boo Radley was pretty scary. :blink:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve not seen this movie since it was on PBS decades ago. I have the DVD. But I never collected the Blu ray. I’ll likely order the new 4K when I make my first order at GRUV.

So this, like Lawrence of Arabia, under similar conditions of only seeing the film once decades earlier, would be almost like seeing it the first time.

I remember a few years ago the controversy that Harper Lee had written a sequel that was recently discovered and the publisher went ahead and published it perhaps against Harper Lee’s wishes. I looked that up just now and I see it turned out to seemingly being a first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve not seen this movie since it was on PBS decades ago. I have the DVD. But I never collected the Blu ray. I’ll likely order the new 4K when I make my first order at GRUV.

So this, like Lawrence of Arabia, under similar conditions of only seeing the film once decades earlier, would be almost like seeing it the first time.

I remember a few years ago the controversy that Harper Lee had written a sequel that was recently discovered and the publisher went ahead and published it perhaps against Harper Lee’s wishes. I looked that up just now and I see it turned out to seemingly being a first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird.
I’m told that there’s more to the story. That Mockingbird may have begun as a series of short stories about her town and molded from there.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

It's a complicated situation. We'll probably never know for sure whether Lee objected to its publication. It was, after all, the version that she submitted to the publisher originally.

A lot of the controversy revolves around what a number of fans of TKAM felt was a character assassination of Atticus. I disagree with that. Like TKAM, Go Set a Watchman portrays Atticus through the eyes of Scout. The difference is that in TKAM, Scout is an 8-year-old child to whom Atticus seems like a god, and in GSAW, she's a 28-year-old adult who sees him as a fallible human being.

Personally, I love both books, but getting into an involved discussion -- the complaints about GSAW come from what, to me, seems like a superficial reading of the novel -- is tangential to this thread. At any rate, I highly recommend GSAW. It also might be preferable to do what I did, which is to read it right after a re-read of TKAM.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Recently received the 4K of TKAM. I usually open the disc and give it a token twirl to see what it looks like. I ended up watching the whole film. A true classic that looks and sounds great. Kudos to Universal.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
I remember being told to read the Harper Lee novel when I was young. I found it enjoyable, but I didn't really fully understand it until I read it again as a middle aged man. What great work from the now late author. I also watched Gregory Peck in the film again after I had read the book the second time. I found the film to be even better as well. This is one of cinemas masterpieces and deserves great respect. Young people need to watch this, not some of the horribly bad stuff they now find watchable.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I remember being told to read the Harper Lee novel when I was young. I found it enjoyable, but I didn't really fully understand it until I read it again as a middle aged man. What great work from the now late author. I also watched Gregory Peck in the film again after I had read the book the second time. I found the film to be even better as well. This is one of cinemas masterpieces and deserves great respect. Young people need to watch this, not some of the horribly bad stuff they now find watchable.

As I recall, my two older then-early-ish-teenaged, millennial kids loved it back when the first BD came out. Not sure how many of their peers did, if they saw it at all... though I'm sure many of them read the book likely for schoolwork, if nothing else (as did my kids). However, not sure the current gen/wave of educators still value such classics as much anymore...

_Man_

PS: My apologies if I veered a bit too much off toward the prohibited...

PPS: I've decided to just (voluntarily) edit out the part that probably veers a bit too much off... Definitely appreciate Crawdaddy for leaving such option completely up to me... Cheers!

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think the 4K looks significantly darker than the new BD?

I've only gotten through about 1/3rd of the movie, but felt the 4K looked notably darker - and not in a pleasing way.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have no desire to watch the BD because I think the 4K disc is near perfect.

I watched about 30 minutes of the BD and switched the 4K. 4K seemed much darker in comparison - borderline murky, honestly.

I know this can be player/TV influenced, but I didn't have the same concern with other B&W 4Ks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched about 30 minutes of the BD and switched the 4K. 4K seemed much darker in comparison - borderline murky, honestly.

I know this can be player/TV influenced, but I didn't have the same concern with other B&W 4Ks.
You're the first person that has stated such as I thought it looked beautiful on both my 55" and 65" LG OLEDs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You're the first person that has stated such as I thought it looked beautiful on both my 55" and 65" LG OLEDs.

All I can say is what I see.

On my Sony 4K player and LG 4K OLED, the 4K appeared notably darker than the BD.

Did you compare the two? Maybe you'll think the BD looks too bright and the 4K "just right".

I found the BD more satisfying, but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks