What's new

Pre-Order Dragonslayer (1981) (4k UHD) (4k UHD Steelbook) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RETURN TO A TIME OF DRAGONS WITH THE BELOVED CULT CLASSIC “DRAGONSLAYER” ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Debuting on 4K Ultra HD™, in a Limited-Edition 4K Ultra HD SteelBook®, and on Blu-ray™
March 21, 2023

Releases Boast Over an Hour of New Bonus Content
Plus Commentary by Director Matthew Robbins and Guest Guillermo del Toro

Newly restored in eye-popping 4K Ultra HD under the supervision of director/co-writer Matthew Robbins, the fan-favorite classic DRAGONSLAYER arrives for the first time ever on 4K Ultra HD, in a Limited Edition Collector’s 4K Ultra HD SteelBook, and on Blu-ray March 21, 2023 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

An essential cinematic adventure with groundbreaking and Oscar®-nominated visual effects*, DRAGONSLAYER has been restored with exceptional picture and sound to bring the spectacular fantasy to life for a new generation. Legendary visual effects supervisor Phil Tippett (Star Wars, Jurassic Park) created the film’s special effects, pioneering a new technique called “go motion” that incorporates blurring into each frame for more realistic images. Vermithrax Pejorative, the fire-breathing creature at the center of the story, was created using a combination of go motion and 16 massive dragon puppets.

DRAGONSLAYER continues to win over fans more than 40 years after its initial release, not the least of which is Guillermo del Toro who joins director and longtime collaborator Matthew Robbins for an entertaining and illuminating new commentary. The 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray releases also include more than an hour of additional new special features as detailed below:

THE SLAYER OF ALL DRAGONS
Step back in time with director/co-writer Matthew Robbins, dragon supervisor Phil Tippett, and ILM’s visual effects master Dennis Muren as they revisit DRAGONSLAYER. Their stories and memories take viewers deep into the dragon’s fiery lair as they recount the challenging journey from concept to screen.

WELCOME TO CRAGGANMORE
A look back at the impact of Star Wars and its visual effects on Hollywood, the origin of DRAGONSLAYER and its screenplay, and the film’s casting.

A LONG WAY TO URLAND
Pre-production begins in England as the film takes shape. The young filmmakers seek gritty medieval realism through the production design, cinematography, and costumes.

VERMITHRAX PEJORATIVE
The filmmakers take on the daunting task of bringing a dragon to life like never before, utilizing every ounce of movie magic available including Phil Tippett’s breakthrough go-motion animation, cutting-edge practical animatronics, visual effects, and compositing.

INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE
Production woes at every turn, horrific baby dragons, and the challenge of creating Vermithrax’s iconic lair plague the filmmakers. Phil Tippett offers a mini-masterclass on crafting powerful creature performance through detailed animation.

THE FINAL BATTLE
The team faces the unique challenges of the film’s stage-bound climax, filmed entirely against a blue screen. Director Matthew Robbins looks back on the incredible work done in the final stages of film editing, the beautifully dense sound design, and Alex North’s amazing score, which utilized pieces from his legendary unused 2001: A Space Odyssey score.

The DRAGONSLAYER 4K Ultra HD Limited-Edition SteelBook includes the film on 4K Ultra HD, the bonus content detailed above, and boasts collectible packaging with a removable O-sleeve featuring an image of the theatrical poster, which, when removed, reveals original artwork of the final battle with Vermithrax Pejorative. The package also includes access to a Digital copy of the film.

The 4K Ultra HD release includes the film on 4K Ultra HD, the bonus content, and access to a Digital copy of the film. The Blu-ray includes the film in high definition, along with the bonus content and access to a Digital copy of the film.

All three releases also include the original theatrical trailer and screen tests.

Synopsis
Set in sixth-century England, an ill-tempered, fire-breathing creature—ominously known as Vermithrax Pejorative—terrorizes its citizens until a young sorcerer’s apprentice named Galen (Peter MacNicol) is reluctantly tasked with confronting the beast. For Galen to succeed, it will take more than magic to defeat the dragon.

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Paramount (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA), a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

DRAGONSLAYER

Street Date: March 21, 2023
U.S. Rating: PG
Sound: English Dolby Atmos

Directed by Matthew Robbins
Written by Hal Barwood and Matthew Robbins

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Part of the demo tape that came with the first stereo Betamax player.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I haven't seen this film, but maybe I'll blindly buy it since I love 80s fantasy films like Willow, Krull and Legend.
I just hope it includes the ORIGINAL audio along with the atmos.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just received a delivery estimate email from Amazon on the steelbook - 3/23/23.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I haven't seen this film, but maybe I'll blindly buy it since I love 80s fantasy films like Willow, Krull and Legend.
I just hope it includes the ORIGINAL audio along with the atmos.

This is arguably a much better film than the three you cite. As for the original stereo track...are there any Paramount insiders here who can address that?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another option is to buy the $20 4K disc release and then sell either the digital copy or the discs, depending on your preference, after you watch the film. I do this frequently and it works well for me.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Does anyone have the DRAGONSLAYER CD soundtrack on the SCSE label???? If so, how does it compare to the La La Land label release???

Thank you.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Does anyone have the DRAGONSLAYER CD soundtrack on the SCSE label???? If so, how does it compare to the La La Land label release???

Thank you.

I have both. The newer (La La Land) release is a few tracks longer and has significantly better sound quality. For one thing, the 1981 OOP Southern Cross issue is quite heavy on the tape hiss, which I am unaware of listening to the La La Land release. The bass is boomier, the clarity of the horns sharper.

Warning for newbies to this music: it is quite dissonant and even bizarre, not your typical John Williams-type score full of reassuring themes and melodies. Whether it is a score you can listen to passively, isolated from the film, will be a matter of personal taste.

Here is a fascinating and very detailed description and review of the original Southern Cross release:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Other than the way-y too contemporary character of Galen, what did you consider to be "cheesy-ish" about it?

Don't get me wrong, it was an entertaining film, but It had an 80s vibe to it. Some of the dialogue and the romantic moments reminded me of something that would come out of that era.

On the other hand, it was pleasurable to watch the film's excellent special effects created by ILM that didn't involve CGI.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have both. The newer (La La Land) release is a few tracks longer and has significantly better sound quality. For one thing, the 1981 OOP Southern Cross issue is quite heavy on the tape hiss, which I am unaware of listening to the La La Land release. The bass is boomier, the clarity of the horns sharper.

Warning for newbies to this music: it is quite dissonant and even bizarre, not your typical John Williams-type score full of reassuring themes and melodies. Whether it is a score you can listen to passively, isolated from the film, will be a matter of personal taste.

Here is a fascinating and very detailed description and review of the original Southern Cross release:

Thank you. I appreciate the insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks