What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I would imagine in depends on what's available and how the sellers posted the name

Hawaii Five-O
Hawaii Five 0
Hawaii 5-0

and so on

The epic pack box is more common, still in print and easily counterfeited.

By the same token, when I have searched for "Emergency! season DVD," some listings have used the title with the exclamation point (which is how I have known the series to be titled), and others have omitted the exclamation point.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 180844

In order to get the remastered Season 10 episodes, I decided to buy the repackaged box set (2021 release date).

I was surprised to discover that all of the discs are single-layer (an average of 4.35 GB per disc) rather than the dual-layer discs of the original single-season sets.

I returned the $80 counterfeit set to eBay for a refund. By the way, thumbs up to eBay for very prompt Return service.

Then, I ordered a $130 set from a supposedly reputable Amazon seller.

The set arrived today. I tested the discs right away. Yep, you guessed it. Counterfeit. Single-layer discs instead of dual-layer.

This is getting to be monotonous.

1681414008962.png

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ugh that blows. You may be better off trying to get a batch set of the individual seasons on eBay. Odds are nobody's gonna go to the trouble of scamming those.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I was just trying to get the remastered Season 10 discs.

Unfortunately, the remastered discs were never given their own season-set release. You have to buy the complete box set in order to get the remastered Season 10 discs.

But it's become more trouble than it's worth.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I bought the complete digital series seasons 1-9 amazon
10-12 Vudu all in HD.So no worries about bootlegs or remasters all look fine.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I fell victim to e-bay counterfeiters too one time. It was on Laugh-In: The Complete Series box set. The video quality was all pixilated, like someone had made a poor DVD recording of the legitimate discs. I also found out long after I had bought the set :(

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I fell victim to e-bay counterfeiters too one time. It was on Laugh-In: The Complete Series box set. The video quality was all pixilated, like someone had made a poor DVD recording of the legitimate discs. I also found out long after I had bought the set :(

OT-- this is why I have never purchased DVDs from that site; the only thing I've ever gotten from there is vintage newspapers (and even then, they haven't been flawless; some have been marketed as complete, when they were only one or two parts, for instance).

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I got the repacked set from DeepDiscount this year. I just looked and It's $117 right now. I got it when they did a 10% off sale. Ebay may have cheaper, but at least you know it's legit from a known retailer.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I bought the complete digital series seasons 1-9 amazon
10-12 Vudu all in HD.So no worries about bootlegs or remasters all look fine.
I will always default to physical media but I watch one episode last night on Paramount + and the picture quality was just stunning. Now that I will be getting the complete DVD set, I'm sure a blu ray release will be forthcoming. Which I will no doubt purchase.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I store my movies and TV as MKV files on digital storage devices; currently, a bunch of 5TB USB3 portable hard drives. I do have videos in high definition, but only for movies and TV that I absolutely love, such as the Dexter series.

As for the rest, it's always a trade-off between file size and resolution. Sure, I'd love to have the entire Hawaii Five-O series in high definition, but each HD episode requires five to six times the file storage space of the standard-def version.

For the entire H5O series, it's basically the difference between storing 500GB or storing 3000GB. Right now, I just can't justify the storage space required for the HD versions.

Of course, if Scott buys the DVD set -- thus triggering a blu-ray release -- I'll definitely be in for the blu-ray set.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I will always default to physical media but I watch one episode last night on Paramount + and the picture quality was just stunning.

Probably have asked before, but why does the quality of these episodes on P+ look as good as what's on DVD?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Probably have asked before, but why does the quality of these episodes on P+ look as good as what's on DVD?
They actually look better. At least season 1 through 9. Typically, when comparing physical media to streaming physical media wins. However, in this case we are comparing physical media SD against streaming in HD. in that case HD wins, even if streamed.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
They actually look better. At least season 1 through 9. Typically, when comparing physical media to streaming physical media wins. However, in this case we are comparing physical media SD against streaming in HD. in that case HD wins, even if streamed.

That's a great point-- may sometime in the future look up Five-O on P+ to see the difference.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Stick with legit retailers, the bootlegs are all over eBay. Deep Discount is safe. Amazon is probably okay as long as you make sure it's not a private seller. We're talking about the most recent mega Pack release, which is being counterfeited like crazy.

Earlier sets, like the one I got, are hard to find. That was the only complete set I found for a decent price and the outside case it banged up a bit.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It's got to the point where the counterfeits look like the real thing, it's the disk size that gives it a way.
I have a question, does having a DVD set with single-layer discs ALWAYS mean that the set is counterfeit? Isn't it possible that even the legit sets from the studios sometimes have single-layer discs instead of dual-layer?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have a question, does having a DVD set with single-layer discs ALWAYS mean that the set is counterfeit? Isn't it possible that even the legit sets from the studios sometimes have single-layer discs instead of dual-layer?
Not likely, I've only seen it in a few instances.

I have had many "Made on Demand" (MOD) movies from WB, Sony, and Fox that came on single layer disks. In most cases, the movies were relatively short and/or it was early in the MOD process before they started using dual layer disks.

As for TV Series, the only time I received single layer disks were when the last few episodes of a season did not warrant a dual layer disk, in that there were half as many episodes left then what would traditionally be needed to fit on a disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks