What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
614 “The $100,000 Nickel”

614 The 100000 Nickel.JPG

Everything that lacked in “Try to Die On Time” worked great for me in this one. I liked Eugene Troobnick as Ernie.

614a.JPG

I also enjoyed seeing Victor Buono. The scene with him and McGarrett was a ton of fun. I love when two good actors feed off each other like that. So fun to watch.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really sure why but "the Banzai Pipeline" from season 6 is one of my favorites of the entire series.
It is a pretty gripping episode, and one that pound for pound can hold its own against any of the great 70's cinema classic crime movies of that time.

I know nowdays it is pretty common to say that TV is better for drama/action than most movies in the theater(which is unfortunately something I agree with very strongly) but in the 70's I think that was unheard of. Another reason I think this series was just flat out groundbreaking.

It is a great thing to read this thread Alan. Your enthusiastic approach to this series has made me start to re-watch some of my favorite episodes.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It is a great thing to read this thread Alan. Your enthusiastic approach to this series has made me start to re-watch some of my favorite episodes.
I really appreciate your comment Bryan. I am spending the Christmas season fighting pneumonia (for the first time in my life). Having the show to watch, and all of you to share thoughts with, has been and continues to be a bright spot for me.

PDVD_002 (4).JPG

I look forward to continuing my exploration of this series in 2018. Happy New Year everyone!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
615 “The Flipside is Death”

When the episode started I said to myself, “No way they transport nerve gas so carelessly like that…I hope the show hasn’t jumped the shark.”

I needn’t have worried.

615 The Flipside is Death.JPG

Easily my favorite caper episode of season six. And seeing those eight tracks again—man, that took me right back to 1973. Good stuff.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I really appreciate your comment Bryan. I am spending the Christmas season fighting pneumonia (for the first time in my life). Having the show to watch, and all of you to share thoughts with, has been and continues to be a bright spot for me!

I’ve been an avid viewer of this series since 1986 cable tv reruns and it always bothered me that no one else I knew enjoyed the show as much as I did, or had even seen the show since it ended its network run, aside from Mr. Mike’s fan site discussion forum. Flash forward to the present and the last 10 years since the DVD releases started: I’ve had so many enjoyable threads in which to read and share with others our mutual enjoyment of the series. This thread has easily become my favorite!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
615 “The Flipside is Death”

When the episode started I said to myself, “No way they transport nerve gas so carelessly like that…I hope the show hasn’t jumped the shark.”

I needn’t have worried.

View attachment 42824

Easily my favorite caper episode of season six. And seeing those eight tracks again—man, that took me right back to 1973. Good stuff.
I have well over 100 and a nice Realistic player I got off eBay that was one owner (not counting the guy who flipped it). Absolute mint condition-I took it apart to align the playback head, but that's all.
I’ve been an avid viewer of this series since 1986 cable tv reruns and it always bothered me that no one else I knew enjoyed the show as much as I did, or had even seen the show since it ended its network run, aside from Mr. Mike’s fan site discussion forum. Flash forward to the present and the last 10 years since the DVD releases started: I’ve had so many enjoyable threads in which to read and share with others our mutual enjoyment of the series. This thread has easily become my favorite!
It used to air here on an independent UHF station and then I saw it on Netflix and watched it every now and again. Seeing the beautiful pictures of the scenery just makes me wish for a release of the series on blu-ray.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
616 “The Bonzai Pipeline”

PDVD_005.JPG

From their voices, I first thought Nicholas Hammond and Perry King were Robert Walker Jr. and Scott Bakula!

PDVD_008.JPG

I love how the cameraman’s angle never changes but the surfing shots are dramatically different.

PDVD_000.JPG

PDVD_001.JPG

I wonder if I noticed that as a kid or only after I decided to become a filmmaker. :)

PDVD_002.JPG

PDVD_003.JPG

PDVD_004.JPG

This episode had such a fun spirit to it! Hang ten!

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
617 “One Born Every Minute”

617 One Born Every Minute.JPG

This was a first class con episode. The con was really well-developed and believable. They really spent the time on it to make it work. And the suicide. Really kicked it up to another level. And then the ending had some complexity. I love the con-men (and woman) didn’t get dumb in the end. I believed the way they got caught. The ending reminded me of the smart ending of “Which Way Did They Go? William Windom’s character was just as smart, and only beaten just as smartly.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Can't say enough praise about William Windom. I can watch anything he's in and know it will be good. Such a strong presence on the screen.
I couldn't agree with you more. Whether it's my favorite episode of the original Star Trek, or my favorite episode of The Invaders, or my favorite episode of, well, you name it, it's not unlikely that William Windom is in it.

Matt_decker.jpg

He elevates everything.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Here is a link to a good little post on the TV career of William Windom:
http://comforttv.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-tv-moments-william-windom.html

You owe it to yourself to at least seek out his performance in The Night Gallery segment, "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar". His 2nd season effort, "Little Girl Lost" is quite good and often over looked because of the first. I am very fond of his Twilight Zone effort.
TZ+Five+Characters.jpg

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
619 “Death with Father”

Talk about an episode that lived up to its title. What an ending! That may be the most breathtaking ending I have ever seen on a TV episode.

With another great performance by Andrew Duggan. He’s one of the supporting cast of guest stars and repertoire players who appear frequently throughout the series and always deliver solid performances. In Duggan’s case, he appeared in the pilot and continued right up through season 12 and one of the series’ final episodes, much like Khigh Dhiegh (Wo Fat)! Another recurring favorite of mine is Kwan Hi Lim, who had well over a dozen appearances but is likely best known as Tosaki in the Vashon trilogy, Honore’s right-hand man.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
621 “Nightmare in Blue”

I was surprised how violent this episode was in dealing with sexual assault. I’m not sure we’d see something like this on network TV today. It’s interesting how network TV has become more graphic in terms of language and blood and guts, yet more conservative in its depiction of sexual assault. Is that fair, or is it just my perception?

621 Nightmare in Blue.JPG

In any case, another excellent episode that remains relevant today, as so many of these Five-0 shows still do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks