What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...that sounds pretty damn good. Thanks for that info.

I might not wait until mid-November and check in with them by the end of this week.

taxman

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
Well...I didn't get such good news....

First, I got an e-mail back from Oppo immediately saying they had gotten my e-mail.

Then, six minutes later I got this e-mail which gave me great hope:

But it didn't work. :( Instead of "Pass" I kept getting "Fail" messages every time I tried.

So, after I explained that to them, they wrote back with this:

THAT is a major bummer.

Congrats, Craig, on getting your process underway so quickly. Let us know how things go. I know getting parcels over the US/Canada border is sometimes a VERY slow process.
Oppo received by 203 yeesterday and I received confirmation its already been fixed and being shipped to me today.

Can't do much better than that for service

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
UPDATE on my situation:

I actually got an unsolicited e-mail from Oppo's customer service last night:

Hi Mike,

We've made arrangements to have a limited staff at the office. You will be able to purchase the Out of Warranty Repair Service (https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSUDP203) now and ship the unit to us. An Out of Warranty Repair for the UDP-203 will cost $109.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to North American addresses. Want you to be aware that when we do receive the package, we will likely wait a few days before opening the package.

Once we have received your order you will receive a return authorization and instructions email.

When shipping the unit, please ensure there is adequate (at least 3-4 layers of bubble wrap) amount of protection on all sides of the player and not only the front and back.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

So, I made the order and then got a lengthy e-mail from Oppo telling me how to let them know "what's wrong" and how to pack it up (I had the original box and packing materials), etc. I brought it to FedEx. The cheapest shipping will get it to CA by the end of next week and cost $55. That's pretty hefty shipping. But Oppo absorbs the cost of return shipping.

It seems to me that the opportunity to have a complete out-of-warranty check-up and overhaul for that money is a pretty good deal.

In the meantime, I have put my Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD back into service while my Oppo is on vacation on the West Coast.

Knick_Knack_Souvenirs.jpg

I'll continue to report-in as the process unfolds. I am supposed to hear from Oppo when they receive the player and ship it back.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
That sounds like a cheap fix. How long does the virus last on cardboard? Probably the delay in opening the package.
Package should be good after 1 day for the box. 3 days for the metal machine inside. Can't blame them for being careful.
Still sounds like a bargain for a mean machine. Like getting a physical exam. Nice customer service for a company no longer producing new machines. Good luck, and can't wait to hear the outcome.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll continue to report-in as the process unfolds. I am supposed to hear from Oppo when they receive the player and ship it back.

And here's my update. And I gotta tell you. It's damn amazing.

First, I received a text notification from FedEx at 1:16pm ET today that my player had been delivered to Oppo and signed-for at the facility.

Then, I got an e-mail from Oppo at 4:05pm:

Dear Mike Frezon,

We have received your OPPO product for repair per RMA # xxxxxx and are currently working on it. Your product will be tested for the described problem, repaired, and tested again. Additionally, your product will be cleaned and the latest official firmware installed. Typical turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days, depending on the problem. When we ship your product back (with signature requirement), you will receive a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information.

We regret that your OPPO product required service. However, we hope that you are completely satisfied with your service experience. If you have any questions about this return, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail. When contacting us, please reference your RMA number for faster service.

Best Regards,
Customer Service

Pretty great, right?!?

Then I got a 2nd e-mail from Oppo at 9:05pm ET with the following information:

Dear Mike Frezon,

Your OPPO product is ready! We will ship your OPPO product back and send you a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information. We performed the following on your OPPO product:

• Diagnostics – Disc loader full of dust, lint and hairs, laser lens obstructed and laser head tangled.
  • Problem Resolution - Cleaned disc loader and repaired the following parts: Optical Unit.
  • Passed standard post-repair diagnostics.
If you have any questions, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail. When contacting us, please reference your RMA number for faster service.

Best Regards,
Customer Service

How about that, huh?? :D

I can't wait to get that e-mail that the player will be on its way back to me. I am already trying to figure out how to move the player from where it regularly sits to avoid the dust and dog hair issues.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't wait to get that e-mail that the player will be on its way back to me. I am already trying to figure out how to move the player from where it regularly sits to avoid the dust and dog hair issues.
Have to tell Ernest and Pete to use gloves when they're inserting discs to watch while you're out. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have to tell Ernest and Pete to use gloves when they're inserting discs to watch while you're out. :D

:laugh:

This ain't no kidding, but if I don't vacuum every other day (at least) I get little tumbleweeds of dog hair all over the main floor of the house.

Now this picture is an exaggeration of that phenomenon, but here I am brushing Ernest (with a special brush--a FURminator--that helps remove the undercoat). You can see the hair that is just waiting to fly inside my Oppo player!! In fact, the corner of the wood cabinet visible in the picture is where my HT gear is located and the Oppo was pretty near at floor level. It will now be raised up to a higher shelf to avoid that hair as much as possible! I hope it's enough.

And this is just ONE of the two dogs! Oh. I have to do a lot of laundry, too! :D

full

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So, dogs and HT gear are apparently NOT the best of friends. But I don't see myself giving up on either one anytime soon.

Key would be to figure out how best to keep the dog hair away from the electronics.

I suppose that's why many discerning, used gear buyers and sellers mention (no) pets, not just no smoking around gears being sold.

Since our family is not that big on pets, I wasn't aware just how much that can be an issue. We've had our hands full as is w/ a rascalwy pair of Irish twins (couple years into marriage) and subsequent, additional scalawag, haha. Maybe I'll eventually get a dog though once we become empty-nesters... since my wife isn't that keen on my idea to adopt plus we're no longer spring chickens afterall... :D

Anyway, I did recently almost buy a used Anthem prepro from a dog owner -- first time I ever actually bothered to ask about pets -- but got outbid on it. Forgot to ask for the one I subsequently ended up buying (that just arrived today!). Probably not as big an issue for prepro though...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mike, glad to hear your player just needed a cleaning. And it’s nice they will update the firmware in it. I hope I never have to get mine serviced, but it’s good to know they are taking care of us. I can just drive over to their facility about 20 miles away to drop it off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hope Oppo can make a comeback someday, perhaps after the economy recovers. A company like that shouldn't be out of business.

They're actually not truly OOB. They just decided to switch gears and left that business segment -- that's why they're still offering repair services.

Maybe they'll reconsider at some point though not too likely return to making disc players since that's becoming more and more a dead-end. Maybe they could retool and enter the streaming bizz w/ a high-ish-end streaming media hub -- something approaching or encompassing what AV prepros do now, but taking it to another level or two -- if the market develops toward wanting such. And if something like that plays well in the marketplace, maybe they can then offer additional components like dedicated disc transport that can feed into the hub (or any other external DAC or prepro) to handle whatever legacy and/or new formats.

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They're actually not truly OOB. They just decided to switch gears and left that business segment -- that's why they're still offering repair services.

Maybe they'll reconsider at some point though not too likely return to making disc players since that's becoming more and more a dead-end. Maybe they could retool and enter the streaming bizz w/ a high-ish-end streaming media hub -- something approaching or encompassing what AV prepros do now, but taking it to another level or two -- if the market develops toward wanting such.

_Man_
Yeah, didn’t Oppo announce the shutdown while the economy was ok, pre-covid. They just decided a player at their level wasn’t going to sell well.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Ironic because the 205 is commanding astronomical prices

‘twas the best UHD player ever made with well Implemented Sabre pro DACS and the lowest signal to noise distortion ratios out there

thye Get snapped up for ludicrous money very quickly on eBay , audiogon etc

oppo could easily price them 30% more than the MSRP before and they would sell because they were the best built most reliable and most technologically advanced players out there

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks