What's new

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Has anyone had any experience with using Oppo's Product Repair Services lately (assuming they are still in operation. Their website says they are.)?

My UDP-203 has stopped reading CDs. It still reads all other kinds of discs I can throw at it: 4k/Blu/DVD/DVD-A/SACD. But, whenever I pop in a CD I get nothing. "No disc."

I dread the thought of boxing up the player and shipping it from NY to CA. But I want it to work.

I wish there was something I could do, but I can't imagine what it might be. On a whim, I unplugged it for a minute but that had no effect.

:(

Someone posted on AVSForum yesterday that they had just received their unit back, fixed for $100 including return postage, so it looks like they're still up and running.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Sounds like a minor repair. Worth it too. I am struggling to get a new 4k disc player. They just don't make em like Oppo.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sent an e-mail just now to Oppo Support (via their online e-mail form) with the pertinent information about my player and its symptoms. I simply asked: what are my options? I'll report back when I get an answer (Monday, I would assume).

taxman

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
I sent an e-mail just now to Oppo Support (via their online e-mail form) with the pertinent information about my player and its symptoms. I simply asked: what are my options? I'll report back when I get an answer (Monday, I would assume).
I just sent mine in for repair on Friday morning (disk tray won't open). THeyresponded to first e-mail within an hour, and had my RMA number within a few hours.

I'm in Canada so shipping it too them cost almost as much as their repair (which includes return shipping)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...I didn't get such good news....

First, I got an e-mail back from Oppo immediately saying they had gotten my e-mail.

Then, six minutes later I got this e-mail which gave me great hope:

Hi Mike,

Can we try reloading the loader calibration data to see if it resolves the issue. To reload the loader calibration data:

1. Extract the barcode.zip file (attached to this email) to an USB thumb drive. The zip file should extract to a folder named “barcode” with a “fa.inf” file.

2. Turn on player and wait for player to fully boot up. Insert the USB thumb drive into the player.

3. Press the “Setup” button on the OPPO remote to enter the Setup Menu. Then press the numeric keys “5177” on the remote. The player will then enter FA mode.

4. Select “Repair Barcode” and press Enter. The laser calibration data will then be loaded to the mainboard. When the process is complete, “Pass” will be on the screen.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.

Menlo Park, CA 94025

[email protected]

But it didn't work. :( Instead of "Pass" I kept getting "Fail" messages every time I tried.

So, after I explained that to them, they wrote back with this:

Hi Mike,

The unit will have to come back to us for an Out of Warranty Repair Service. Unfortunately, due to the current health situation, we are currently operating with a limited staff at the office and we wouldn't be able to provide the repair service at the moment. Check back with us towards mid-November for an update on our status.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.

Menlo Park, CA 94025

[email protected]

THAT is a major bummer.

Congrats, Craig, on getting your process underway so quickly. Let us know how things go. I know getting parcels over the US/Canada border is sometimes a VERY slow process.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess so, Josh. (I always knew you were a glass-half-full kind of guy! :D )

So I'll be curious to learn (if anyone knows) how long a process it is to send/receive a unit to the Oppo Service Team.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
And Mike CD? Any replacement temporarily will do. Now if the machine stopped playing movies, well then I would say you have a situation there. When they get the player the GOOD part is they will go under the hood and give a tune up. I wouldn't be surprised if they lubed it up and gave it a going over on all of the little things. So minor inconvenience and please ask them if they have any used machines for me.
Just kidding, but nice to know they are still supporting their customers. Still think they made the best players.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
And Mike CD? Any replacement temporarily will do. Now if the machine stopped playing movies, well then I would say you have a situation there. When they get the player the GOOD part is they will go under the hood and give a tune up. I wouldn't be surprised if they lubed it up and gave it a going over on all of the little things. So minor inconvenience and please ask them if they have any used machines for me.
Just kidding, but nice to know they are still supporting their customers. Still think they made the best players.
Well, once my OPPO 203 stopped playing CDs, it also stopped playing DVDs. It only plays BDs.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Good guess Malcolm. Sounds like you are on to something. But what circuit would cause the failure? Is something like dust on the laser itself? I wonder do they still make those cleaning discs? The ones that sweep the laser? How about a good blowjob? For the inside of the disc player I mean LOL. Maybe a can of the air you use for computers? Time to experiment before you send it in. I saw a video on YouTube where the guys were using leaf blowers to clean out their dryer vents. Now that is a good blowjob. LOL

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How about a good blowjob? For the inside of the disc player I mean LOL. Maybe a can of the air you use for computers? Time to experiment before you send it in.

I actually already tried that. I didn't crack open the chassis. Just sprayed air into the machine with the drawer open. I almost hate admitting to that in the open forum!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I actually already tried that. I didn't crack open the chassis. Just sprayed air into the machine with the drawer open. I almost hate admitting to that in the open forum!
1604332234011.png

:D

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Can't wait til you get it fixed and tell us what they found. I hate when a good company that makes great products goes away.
I feel for you Mike it sucks when shit happens, especially when we are all at our wits end with this crazy year. I want to send you a quick video to bring a smile to you face. Nothing like a little music to cheer you up. LOL

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Can't wait til you get it fixed and tell us what they found. I hate when a good company that makes great products goes away.
I feel for you Mike it sucks when shit happens, especially when we are all at our wits end with this crazy year. I want to send you a quick video to bring a smile to you face. Nothing like a little music to cheer you up. LOL

I didn’t care for the music, but I wouldn’t mind having some of what the animator was smoking. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks