What's new

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha, Philip! :) don’t send the repo man! I have several things on my plate today but hope to get the unit connected this evening. One thing I wanted to do first was listen to some music and watch a blu ray on my old 105 as a basis in my head. Then once the 205 is going, I can compare the same discs. My sense to be honest is it might not sound or look different. I’m not expecting night and day changes. But i’ll See. I’m hoping there will be some improvements in the audio.

Any suggestions for blu rays to watch to test? I remember being so impressed when I first got my plasma of the scene in Aliens when Sigorney Weaver is seen early in the film and she is smoking a cigarette. The textures on her skin and the smoke as it came off the cigarette.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
LG made an HD-DVD blu-ray combo player back in the day, so it's probably feasible to add UHD playback to that as well. But I'd imagine it would bump up the price a fair bit for something only a handful of people would get any use out of.

Yep, the LG BH200. Mine is still going strong in my bedroom setup even though I haven’t played an HD-DVD in years.

I looked at the studios supporting each format and made my decision that way. I went Blu-ray with the PS3 (the cheapest alternative at the time). I eventually got an HD-DVD player for reviews, but my choice from the get-go was Blu-ray.

I also looked at the studios and HD-DVD was my preference. I also thought they were better encoded initially. I had both the Toshiba HD-A1 and PS3 at their respective releases though.

There were some other players in there, but the day I moved up to the OPPO BDP-93 was a good day. I’ve registered to be notified of 205 availability. I’ll probably just stick with the 203 though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neither does my current display and it costs a lot more money than these players.

True enough, but has it been officially announced that HDR10+ will require yet another hardware upgrade in terms of a new display? If that is the case then it is pretty well dead. The constant replacing of expensive equipment for incremental upgrades has become a major irritation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True enough, but has it been officially announced that HDR10+ will require yet another hardware upgrade in terms of a new display? If that is the case then it is pretty well dead. The constant replacing of expensive equipment for incremental upgrades has become a major irritation.
Which is why not having HDR10+ on the Oppo 203/205 is no big deal for many of us consumers.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ha, ha, Philip! :) don’t send the repo man! I have several things on my plate today but hope to get the unit connected this evening. One thing I wanted to do first was listen to some music and watch a blu ray on my old 105 as a basis in my head. Then once the 205 is going, I can compare the same discs. My sense to be honest is it might not sound or look different. I’m not expecting night and day changes. But i’ll See. I’m hoping there will be some improvements in the audio.

Any suggestions for blu rays to watch to test? I remember being so impressed when I first got my plasma of the scene in Aliens when Sigorney Weaver is seen early in the film and she is smoking a cigarette. The textures on her skin and the smoke as it came off the cigarette.
My number one suggestion is that dpippel re-posts for you a very specific HDMI cable that's both certified and a must to be used.
As for BD's - and not knowing your tastes - I would absolutely spin some samples from anything connected to a RAH restoration on Blu.
Got musicals? Great for sound checks. Not into musicals? Then check what you have against the AMPAS Database for Best Sound.
Love all films? Got a big collection? Then try out the rare few Oscar winners that won for both Sound and Cinematography.
Otherwise, just pop in your own personal favorites that inspired you to make this purchase, in the first place.
That, which we love in BD films, often proves to be the best reference points for hearing and seeing the jumps of improvement.
BTW, what's your address...as all 132.956 HTF members who are without an Oppo would love to drop in, this evening.
And no worries, I'll bring the ice.;)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
They then released the first season of Star Trek on HD-DVD and I dived in at that time with a Toshiba player and the first season of Star Trek. I did not invest too heavily into discs so my pile is small, under 10 titles of so. All I wanted was Star Trek. I’m glad the war ended. The blu ray of Star Trek was great because unlike the HD-DVD, there is the option for watching with the original effects or the new CGI effects as well as the 5.1 audio or mono original.
There is a special feature or two on the HD-DVD set of Star Trek that was not ported over to the blu-ray. I believe there is a text commentary on "The Galileo Seven" on the HD-DVD that is missing on the blu-ray.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Can you post a link to this kit please?

Courtesy of Robert Crawford

Don't do that! Buy the following linked kit as it also works on the 203/205 models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-1...497003&hash=item2578edfe8e:g:RAoAAMXQqExRmtVY

Really very easy to install and use - I have a 93, and two 203 with these kits and they work perfectly inclusive of the firmware updates to date.

Regards,

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The constant replacing of expensive equipment for incremental upgrades has become a major irritation.
As we have noticed, were it not for these (often "pathetic" IMO) minor changes in hardware standards to "force" upgrades/sales, many more companies would have gone out of business. Stay tuned! They're dropping like flies.

I bet there'll be one less major "AVR" company soon. Apparently not a profitable area. Displays...how many viable manufacturers are there actually now? Not ones that are just hanging on because they're part of a rich parent company...as we've seen, that's not enough, owners don't care, if it doesn't pull its weight, it's gone (fair enough, it's business). UHD players, or any disc players...the same. Less manufacturers = less competition = less good stuff for us, it'll all be mediocre (living in Canada, I know all about the mediocracy that comes from lack of competition).

Unless you have some fairly big bucks; there are still plenty of manufacturers of "premium" gear (ones that make Oppo gear look "cheap") and they don't seem to be having much trouble (not that I'd truly know...), and actually seem to be gaining significant traction if my casual observation is accurate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I posted this on the Oppo 205 review thread, but thought I’d post it here too Incase it’s missed. Some possible good news from Oppo.

I accidentally came across a post in a forum discussiing the Oppo 205. There was a link to an article on the HDTVtest website about Oppo’s shut down. The article ends with comments from Oppo and future support plans. Future potential updates could include HDR10+. And I recall someone saying that wouldn’t likely be in the 205’s future. So there is some hope.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/so-long-oppo-201804034553.htm

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I posted this on the Oppo 205 review thread, but thought I’d post it here too Incase it’s missed. Some possible good news from Oppo.

I accidentally came across a post in a forum discussiing the Oppo 205. There was a link to an article on the HDTVtest website about Oppo’s shut down. The article ends with comments from Oppo and future support plans. Future potential updates could include HDR10+. And I recall someone saying that wouldn’t likely be in the 205’s future. So there is some hope.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/so-long-oppo-201804034553.htm
This is a key excerpt from the linked article:

"Update (April 3rd, 2018): Jason Liao, CTO of OPPO Digital, took the time to respond to HDTVTest‘s questions regarding this news, and has clarified several important points. He stresses that while OPPO will not be introducing any new products, it is not disappearing, and will continue to support its existing customers and range of disc players, headphones and speaker.

When asked what prompted OPPO’s decision to stop product development, Jason noted that no single reason influenced the decision. However, he stated that it was carefully chosen to come at a time when development of its UHD disc players had already been accomplished.

Regarding future improvements, OPPO mentioned that a firmware update to support Dolby Vision with Sony TVs is currently being tested by Dolby, which suggests that it has largely been completed. Support for the upcoming HDR10+ standard is being investigated, and hinges on whether or not the current hardware is capable of decoding the metadata and passing the information on to the display. OPPO assures us that if the hardware can do it, support will indeed be added by firmware.

To us, HDR10+ support being added to OPPO’s players seems likely. The company’s renowned customer service, close relationship with Mediatek, and the engineering ingenuity we mentioned earlier in the article, all give us confidence. Additionally, our current understanding is that the HDR10+ metadata is carried via the existing SEI message feature that is already part of the HEVC video standard, suggesting that changes on the playback side should be minimal. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see what ultimately transpires.

Although we’ve seen the last of new hardware from the company, it sounds that OPPO fans still have a lot to look forward to."

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well now this makes my decision even harder come this July when for my birthday, I'll be getting a new UHD Vizio 75" (M-Series or maybe a 2017 model P-Series since the price has dropped).

Should I buy the Oppo 203 for my first and probably only Oppo? Or should I go with Sony's UBP-X700 and save about $200? I would get the region-free mods done on either one.

Advice welcome.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've ordered what will be my final Oppo here in Australia, the 203 with all-region modification.
Since my only previous purchase was of the 83, which is still performing brilliantly, I suspect I''m going to enjoy the new model for very many years. At the moment the prices of Australian units are holding steady ... expect them to rise as supply dries up.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I’m thinking of just trying to buy a 205 and if I do get one, saving it for when I do upgrade to a 4K display. If I should get lucky and find a 205, it will of course play regular 2D and 3D blu rays, so it could be used right away. But if I play a 4K disc to my regular HD plasma, I’ve read the image might not look that great. Is that true?

IMHO it is not true and I believe most here will agree that it will not only still look good but the only thing the player will do is display the 4K content at 1080p resolution! The players in fact will also do the same function if your older 4K display is not HDCP 2.2 capable. Despite what ever your display technology weather it be LED, Plasma or OLED a 4K player connected to a non HDCP 4K display or 180p HD display will display the 4K content at 1080p HD resolution. So no it is not true and the content will still translate very well to a non 4K display. You will be just one move closer to a 4K chain buying the player ahead of the display. Only you can decide if you want to get the Oppo and you will have to decide if your willing to roll the dice in regards to future support of an Oppo player. I realize the company has stated they will continue to support the players but it is still a risk and that doesn't take away how good the Oppo players are. I started out with a 4K display that did not include HDCP 2.2 and I did get a 4K UHD Blu-ray players. The results where still good as the 4K content where in fact where converted and displayed at 1080p resolution and it still looked very good. At some point I want to ether move to a 4K projector or a larger newer display with Dolby Vision and HDR. But for the time being I was fortunate enough that the HDMI connections on my Samsung 4K TV are external. I was able to upgrade the HDMI hub to one that was HDCP 2.2 complaint and so now the display can handle the incoming 4K content from my 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Currently I am out of work so this is the only reason I have not purchased an Oppo 4K player and upgraded my Pioneer Elite receiver. If Oppo service of there product stops or something just as good comes out I may buy that instead. Another thing I wouldn't worry about is if your receiver doesn't have 4K switching or can pass the HDCP 2.2 to the display then as long as you have a HDCP 2.2 HDMI out for video/audio and a second audio only HDMI you will be fine! Just connect the HDCP 2.2 HDMI directly to your display and the audio only HDMI to your non 4K switching receiver and you will be golden!

Here is an article I found interesting especially since Oppo's name is mentioned in the title of the article. So the question in regards to this article is will Pioneer start offering 4K UHD Blu-ray players? Will Pioneer produce players that will go after Oppo's customers and produce a product that will equal and replace what Oppo was/is currently producing?

https://www.whathifi.com/news/pioneer-to-fill-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-gap-left-oppo

Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I did get an Oppo 205. I upgraded from my 105. I did try a 4K disc last weekend. The main hic-cup I encountered was either the Panasonic plasma, or the Oppo was engaging and disengaging to show a black screen and re-engaging finally to show a picture and sound. It’s disconcerting. Must have been an HDMI issue. The image looked good, it was the Last Jedi 4K/Blu Ray combo set. I’d have to watch the blu ray to compare as there seemed to be a little color difference. I’ll probably give it one more shot with another 4K disc I have and if there is that switching going on, i’ll wait till I get a 4K display. The blu ray still looks mighty fine. The less I know, the better. :)

By the way, i’ll check out the article you linked to.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just for the heck of it have you hooked up an Ethernet cable and checked for an update? Enjoy your new Oppo.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave, one of the really great upgrades of this Oppo 205 is built-in WiFi!

So when I first set it up, I got the WiFi connected to my network and was notified there is a firmware update. The firmware in the Oppo was from last year! So i updated right away.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave, one of the really great upgrades of this Oppo 205 is built-in WiFi!

So when I first set it up, I got the WiFi connected to my network and was notified there is a firmware update. The firmware in the Oppo was from last year! So i updated right away.
Since, I bought my first Oppo 203 in December, 2016, I've had at least four firmware updates as the built-in WiFi works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks