1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

OPPO Digital shutting down!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by gadgtfreek, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 273 Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Martin Dew

Oppo Bids Farewell
    [​IMG]

In today's news is the shock announcement that Oppo Digital - the undisputed stalwarts and standard-bearers for high-quality Blu-ray and multi-disc players - is ceasing manufacture. Apparently the company no longer has 'the resources' to develop and release new products. There are two threads related to this already here on the forum, but here is Oppo's statement in full:
    FAREWELL

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital
    Frequently Asked Questions:

As announced on April 2nd, 2018, OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products. Existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital. The following FAQ provides answers to questions that may arise from the announcement.

How do I receive technical support for my OPPO product?

Technical support will continue to be available. Please visit the product support page on the OPPO Digital web site (https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx) for self-guided support, and use the following contact form to submit your customer service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

How do I set up in-warranty or out-of-warranty repair service for my OPPO product?

Repair service will remain available for OPPO Digital products. Please use the following contact form to submit your repair service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

Will there still be firmware upgrades for my OPPO products?

Yes, products will continue to receive firmware upgrades from time to time when new features or bug fixes warrant such an upgrade. Newer products such as the UDP-203 and UDP-205 will likely receive more frequent upgrades while mature products such as the BDP-103 and earlier models will only get firmware upgrades if there are critical fixes. If your player is connected to the Internet, you can check for firmware upgrades by going to the Setup Menu / Device Setup / Firmware Upgrade / Via Network. New firmware will also be posted on the support pages of the corresponding products (https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx)

I purchased my OPPO product less than 30 days ago. Am I still able to return it for a refund?

OPPO Digital continues to offer its 30-day Money Back Guarantee for products purchased directly from OPPO Digital within the last 30 days. If you would like to return your product for a refund, please use the following contact form to submit your refund request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

I am still interested in OPPO's products - how can I purchase one?

OPPO Digital's products can still be purchased through the OPPO Digital web site, OPPO Digital's authorized resellers and OPPO Digital's overseas distributors. As we gradually stop manufacturing new products, certain models may go out of stock and no longer be available sooner than other models.

Will OPPO Digital develop and release future generation of products?

From now on, OPPO Digital will focus our main effort on organizing and ensuring long term support for the existing generation of products. As such, we will not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products.

Bob Bielski and Osato like this.
  2. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Someone tell me that this is an April Fool's joke that is just a day late.

Osato and MatthewA like this.
  3. Kiwitutor

Kiwitutor Extra

Peter
  4. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Sadly it's not a joke. I just heard from them on Facebook and they confirmed this news. I'm still hoping to get one soon. I wonder how long before their products become unavailable?

5. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    It will go fast. Ive thought about buying a couple more to sell at profit later.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Wow, now THAT is a surprise! This is terrible news.

I wouldn't be too sure about being able to sell at a profit. While Oppo is currently saying that their existing products will continue to have support and warranty coverage, there is no guarantee that they can honor that in the future.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  7. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    Idiots were buying the 103D for $900 when the 203 came out. Never lack faith in the stupidity of your fellow man! Now, of course oppo was still around, but I have seen this movie before. Once they dry up, you will see people buying them left and right for way more than $549.

I'll prob just wait and sell my for more, this will push me into the UB9000. If anything we will stop getting FW updates, and that I am not happy about with UHD disc quirks.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    The difference was, as you point out, that Oppo was still around.

9. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Could the second handed market for Oppo players end up like the current market for laserdisc players?

10. marshman1138

marshman1138 Stunt Coordinator

11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    bummer

PMF likes this.
  12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Wow, this is a surprise. I was considering buying their UHD player in a few months, but this announcement will probably have me looking elsewhere. While Oppo says they will be maintaining firmware, you have to wonder how long that will last. With no new income, staff will move on to other opportunities.

John Dirk and Brian L like this.
  13. Message #13 of 273 Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Jimbo64

Jimbo64 Supporting Actor

Jim Potter
    Was hoping to get one eventually

Radioman970 likes this.
  14. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I could not agree more.

The gravity defying resale value of Oppo players was predicated on the fact that their service was second to none, and you could get any generation player repaired at reasonable cost.

I have a 93 which is still in service, but I don’t see a 203 or 205 in my future. The state of play in the HT video space is still in flux, and at some point, they will disconnect the phones.

15. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Possibly not if they scoped out a new market to move into. Sometimes small companies like this stay together because, as a team, they like working together. They're engineers. Quite possibly they are already progressing in a new market, and see the player market as nothing more than a legacy system they will maintain along as it maintains some cash flow.

16. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
    As far as I'm concerned this is really disappointing news as they produced great products and provide service which is second to none! Probably will buy another 203 before it's too late. However I would like to understand why they are shutting down as it's not clear to me - not making enough profit to finance further development ? Want to pursue other more profitable/newer technologies as the 4K market moves to a lower profit basis ? Just want to tend to the garden ? (That's fine as well :) ) Or ..?

Regards,

Bob Bielski likes this.
  17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    You have to wonder though what they do with their intellectual property. You have to figure someone out there is a buyer for the company's design schematics if nothing else.

18. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I would be quite surprised if anybody would still be interested in their old dvd and/or bluray player intellectual properties.

In the case of 4Kbluray, the question is how similar was their player design to other bog standard generic 4Kbluray players (ie. LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc ...).

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Really a surprise for me! I've never owned an Oppo player, but I always assumed one day I would get one for its vast array of features. Never even considered they wouldn't be around selling their premium machines. Big, big shock over this.

Radioman970 and PMF like this.
  20. Message #20 of 273 Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    OK, I can't be the only one asking a question... that's treading on the line of what discussion is allowed on HTF. Consider current events and trends. The timing seems like a mighty bigly coincidence.