What's new

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I wish they could send you out a loner,like a car dealer, just until it got fixed. Glad you got a quick laugh.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I bought a used DV-980 as "not working" cheap on eBay a week or so ago, as it sounded like a simple fix (like a dirty lens). Just took the lid off, shot compressed air all around inside (particularly in the loader). Was very dirty inside (including pet hairs).

Took the top plastic piece off of the loader, cleaned the spindle (and the laser lens) with isopropyl. After the first cleaning, it was able to read a few discs, but not all. Cleaned it a second time, then had it try to load discs without reassembling the loader. Noticed that the drive wasn't 'spinning'. I just gave the disc a gentle nudge, and it spun up, read it just fine, etc. Tried 2 or 3 more discs, they all did good, reassembled and now it seems to be back in tip-top shape.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought a used DV-980 as "not working" cheap on eBay a week or so ago, as it sounded like a simple fix (like a dirty lens). Just took the lid off, shot compressed air all around inside (particularly in the loader). Was very dirty inside (including pet hairs).

Took the top plastic piece off of the loader, cleaned the spindle (and the laser lens) with isopropyl. After the first cleaning, it was able to read a few discs, but not all. Cleaned it a second time, then had it try to load discs without reassembling the loader. Noticed that the drive wasn't 'spinning'. I just gave the disc a gentle nudge, and it spun up, read it just fine, etc. Tried 2 or 3 more discs, they all did good, reassembled and now it seems to be back in tip-top shape.
I just did a quick search on Amazon and I found a 980 for $120. I don’t know what you paid but I suspect you just saved quite a few dollars.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
They fixed my BDP-80 last year. It also wasn't reading CDs or SACDs. I had to send it in twice, but turnaround time was fast and my player works. They're great.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just did a quick search on Amazon and I found a 980 for $120. I don’t know what you paid but I suspect you just saved quite a few dollars.

Oh, it was a lot less (about $35.00, plus another $10 for a remote I got from a different seller).

I love Oppos, but there's no way I'd pay anywhere near that much for one that just plays DVDs. I see the used prices on eBay (particularly for the DV-983) and think that's just crazy, when you can get a used BDP-80 or 83 for the same price or not much more (if you look around).

This was just something cheap for a secondary bedroom that's not likely to see much use at all. It's going to replace a Philips. I still have three BDP-83s I've taken "off line" that I'm probably going to sell (I replaced them with BDP-103s this year).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, you guys had me curious, I looked up the 205 on eBay, there is one for $5,999 and another for $9,206 from Japan. I’m really glad I jumped on these when I heard Oppo was shutting down.

if you need to make a few bucks, it’s like gold.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mike, good luck with sorting out the problem of fixing your Oppo. I’d forgotten they are located in the SF Bay Area.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow, you guys had me curious, I looked up the 205 on eBay, there is one for $5,999 and another for $9,206 from Japan. I’m really glad I jumped on these when I heard Oppo was shutting down.

Thats nuts. Nothing against the Oppo, but at this point, I would recommend the current top of the line Panasonic player for $500 or whatever it was over Oppo - the upgrades to the processing made since the Oppos went out of production are said to make it a clear winner.

With that said, my Oppo 103 for BDs will remain in use as long as it remains alive.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It is nuts Josh! This is on the sellers for gouging the innocents trying to get one of these players.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thats nuts. Nothing against the Oppo, but at this point, I would recommend the current top of the line Panasonic player for $500 or whatever it was over Oppo - the upgrades to the processing made since the Oppos went out of production are said to make it a clear winner.

With that said, my Oppo 103 for BDs will remain in use as long as it remains alive.

Yeah, definitely nuts... though I'm sure most folks still buying used Oppo XX5 BD and 4K players at whatever premium prices are doing so primarily for their audio prowess, not video -- they might not even bother playing any video discs at all.

That's certainly why I picked up a well-cared-for, used 95 ~3 years ago -- I almost never use it for video -- though I only paid roughly what a new, slightly discounted, still-in-production 103 had cost. Quick check indicates they still sell for around that much w/ some going modestly higher.

Hmmm... maybe I should keep an eye out for a well-cared-for 105 at a good price to be used in my upcoming, new HT/stereo setup. I'd like a 205, but have no interest in using it for video nor paying a ransom for one.

Anyway, the craze is almost certainly a nutty-ish audiophile thing w/ essentially nothing to do w/ the video side. Unfortunately, Panasonic opted to skip SACD support, so even if their flagship 9000 otherwise matches or exceeds the Oppo X05 players in both video and audio, it doesn't do SACD nor support DSD in some other ways, eg. via USB or HDMI input. AFAIK, it also can't be used as a minimal(ist) AV hub via HDMI like the Oppo 205 (and 105 to lesser extent) probably can -- not sure exactly how well the 205 can really do it, but the 105's internal (digital audio) level control had quality issues. I haven't followed the talk surrounding the 205, but those paying significant premiums (over original prices) might well be using them as all-in-one, minimalist player+AV-prepro...

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

They may be asking those prices, but are they selling? I hope not.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, definitely nuts... though I'm sure most folks still buying used Oppo XX5 BD and 4K players at whatever premium prices are doing so primarily for their audio prowess, not video -- they might not even bother playing any video discs at all.

I don't think may 203/205s are going for 5-10 grand. I'm sure most of those guys accept offers for considerably lower. $1,000 to $2,500 sounds closer to what I've seen (still gouging, though).

Hmmm... maybe I should keep an eye out for a well-cared-for 105 at a good price to be used in my upcoming, new HT/stereo setup. I'd like a 205, but have no interest in using it for video nor paying a ransom for one.

used 103s can go for around $300 if that's any indication.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't think may 203/205s are going for 5-10 grand. I'm sure most of those guys accept offers for considerably lower. $1,000 to $2,500 sounds closer to what I've seen (still gouging, though).

It's probably the 205s that command a premium, not so much the 203s.

I just checked the completed eBay listings of last few months, and the large majority of them went for 3-4K... though a few were for new-in-box units. A few outliers went for either somewhat below 3K or significantly over 4K. One recent outlier did go as low as 1.75K, but that seems around $800 below the next couple lowest. Meanwhile, we have no idea exactly what someone paid back in Aug for the brand new, region-hacked 205 that asked 6K -- given how these things tend to work, highly doubt that one went for too much less than 5K, if less at all, especially since the seller already sold 26 and is still asking 6K now for the (supposed) last one.

used 103s can go for around $300 if that's any indication.

The serious demand is mainly for the X05 models, especially the 205, not X03.

It's probably mostly audiophile types driving most of the demand for the 205 (and also 105).

Most everyone else really doesn't have nearly the incentive to spend $$$ on the X05 models. And audiophile types wouldn't care as much about the X03 models... though I guess some might try to use them solely as audio disc transports to feed expensive outboard DACs, but I doubt too many of them will wanna spend a lot just for that from those players...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They fixed my BDP-80 last year. It also wasn't reading CDs or SACDs. I had to send it in twice, but turnaround time was fast and my player works. They're great.

Neil: Can you give me any idea of what the turn-around time was like? (And where you live? Mine will be heading from Albany, NY to CA and back to Albany.)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Panasonic's top-tier 4K player is the DP-UB9000 that retails for $999.99, and it's the reason I sold my 203. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Panasonic's top-tier 4K player is the DP-UB9000 that retails for $999.99, and it's the reason I sold my 203. :)

I'd definitely consider getting one if it played SACDs and DSD files as well as the Oppo X05 players, hehheh...

Those Oppo players were a bit too expensive for me even when they were still in production -- that's why I went for a gently used 95 strictly for the audio ~3 years ago instead.

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd definitely consider getting one if it played SACDs and DSD files as well as the Oppo X05 players, hehheh...

Yes, lack of SACD/DSD support is this player's one drawback, for some. It wasn't a consideration for me, and I spent days comparing the video quality of the UB9000 vs. the 203. The Panny is noticeably superior to my eyes, so I sold my Oppo.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For that price it would have to get whatever disc I want from my library by itself, play it, and put it back!

Actually, audiophiles usually want the exact opposite. :D

Betcha these Oppos would go for 2x as much if they didn't come w/ remote control capability and any other bells and whistles and maybe even had mods to permanently disable the video-specific circuitry, hehheh... ;):laugh:

I recently went to audition a pair of old, highend speakers for sale by some audiophile, and his now-rarely used, 2ndary, pretty rare, Musical Fidelity rig only has such a mondo, dedicated, single disc, CD player w/ no remote (and no hirez audio format support either) as the source component. The very rare, spartan stereo preamp -- a uniquely tube-hybrid design that perfectly matches the amp -- also has no remote. Pain in the butt to audition since one had to keep running back and forth from the setup's sweet spot ~14ft away to change anything at all, LOL.

Hmmm... maybe I should just create a mix disc just for this purpose to make it less painful... though that'd probably raise some eyebrows from at least some sellers, LOL.

_Man_

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Neil: Can you give me any idea of what the turn-around time was like? (And where you live? Mine will be heading from Albany, NY to CA and back to Albany.)
I live in California. My recollection is the player either went back out the day after it was received or the day after. Very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks