What's new

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
And I wasn't without worry again this morning as I got mixed messages from FedEx.

The first said the delivery date of my package was pushed back to Monday. The 2nd said that the package was on a truck and "out for delivery." Thankfully, the 2nd message carried the day. :thumbsup:
Drumroll and ...

YANG

Screenwriter
Ernie missed his Oppo. :)
Ever since the halt of OPPO and Cambridge Audio production,
there had been a slew of "clones" churned out from other Chinese factories.
And these clones carries the MT8581 processor that was mentioned to be used in OPPO players.

This CineUltra V203 sold by Spanish Seller to European market...
snap400_1061135.jpg

...is the same as IPUK 8592 base model...
ipuk-8592e.jpeg

...that is sold in Chinese market as well as the VenPPRO V203...
sddefault.jpg

...that is exported to other markets.

With the models mentioned, it won't be hard for you to google for the pictures of the internals to the base models. CineUltra V204 is the "Pro" models to both IPUK and Vennpro, with different component configurations. Should there be any U.S. base retailer wants another rebadge to be brought to the U.S. market, i won't be surprised that the CineUltra/Venppro/IPUK "V203" will come with different innards...​

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But would those Oppo knockoffs be just as good as the originals though?

I still have my 103 and 95 to serve nearly all I've wanted/needed from an Oppo... though a 203/205 clone that's actually exactly as good as the originals, especially on the audio side and also works w/ the same region-free BD+DVD mod (or comes built-in w/ its own), would be nice-to-have if priced attractively -- I don't actually care about the 4K playback unless they improved it to match say the Panasonic players, especially for the tone mapping...

_Man_

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton

I still have my 103 and 95 to serve nearly all I've wanted/needed from an Oppo... though a 203/205 clone that's actually exactly as good as the originals, especially on the audio side and also works w/ the same region-free BD+DVD mod (or comes built-in w/ its own), would be nice-to-have if priced attractively -- I don't actually care about the 4K playback unless they improved it to match say the Panasonic players, especially for the tone mapping...

_Man_
I think hardware wise it will be near identical, assuming they didn't cheap out on SMDs.

The real issue is whether DAC performance is identical or not. I don't know if Oppo used the OTS Sabre implementation, or had some custom filters of their own that these guys would be hard pressed to clone.

YANG

Screenwriter
to know how good does the video quality or process performs, see this review of a mid-level priced player that...

...utilize the same MT8581 “APU” SOC that is also found in the above clones as well as other “souped up” high-end makes in the market.

basically, the clones are identical in internal systems with common “APU” SOCs with digital filtered out to digital connection ports, built into the same premium weighted case, for enthusiast post modifications. It's like the Benz platform, for Chrysler 300C.

YANG

Screenwriter
...Ooopz... forget to add, turn on the subtitles in the beginning of the clip, follow by activating the auto translate function to your preferred language when viewing on computer. note that the YouTube auto translate function is not available thru mobile browsers.

YANG

Screenwriter

_Man_
Panasonic UB9000 will certainly have the winning edge as their system separation on audio and video is easily identifiable with the type of component used and layout design as well as other key components we see.
However, to some, SACD compatibility, or external HDD/NAS drive video file compatibility, as well as external subtitle "generator" compatibility... is somewhat Panasonic may have problem deliver depending on the firmware version.

Here's a link to a Malaysian seller of the clone:
...where from the description and price, you can see how much additional "ingredients" is added into the "soup".
Around USD$700 or less for the standard basic innards.
Priced a certain $$$ more than Panasonic UB9000 for the "souped up" device.

The most competitive model currently in the market that "may" be able to take over OPPO's 203, seems to be the ReaVon x100. However, the base platform from the clones offers more options for enthusiasts who knows their stuffs well, for their modification play around.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
They probably make the Chinese players in Wuhan in some lab. I don't like Chinese electronics.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
They probably make the Chinese players in Wuhan in some lab. I don't like Chinese electronics.
Most electronics these days are Chinese, even if designed here. Examples include Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple, LG, and I could go on.

There's no reason to needlessly say Chinese electronics are bad - they're actually among the best manufacturers in the world when they want to be. It's all about the quality standards of a given manufacturer. Due to their sheer scale, there are a lot of bad and good chinese manufacturers, but you'll find that in A/V, China has a pretty solid reputation for putting out quality products like Monoprice's Monolith lineup, or the Topping DACs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, it really depends. Even Oppo itself is actually a Chinese company afterall...

Heck, even traditionally (largely) handcrafted, finer products like stringed acoustic instruments (eg. violins) can be very well-made (or not) in China though you'd probably wanna stick w/ European or American bench-made ones at the higher end costing well over $10K...

It really depends...

_Man_

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

It is extremely easy to laugh at chinese manufactured electronics, especially stuff that is bog standard "trailing edge" old tech.

In contrast, I've found that it is no laughing matter anymore when it comes to research and development. I assume the chinese are running circles around the americans/europeans/japanese, and should not be underestimated in regard to future tech.

YANG

Screenwriter
bad news Dude... more than 70% or more of the HIFI gears sold in the market are China made. with roughly 10% and growing from Vietnam. that adds up more than 85% of consumer products from the communists hands...

truely “pure blood” products from where the brand is born? lesser and lesser... if you're willing to be juiced...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
They're not going to be wasting too many resources on bog standard "old tech" like bluray players, video/stereo equipment, etc ...

They're running circles around everybody else in near future tech.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
bad news Dude... more than 70% or more of the HIFI gears sold in the market are China made. with roughly 10% and growing from Vietnam. that adds up more than 85% of consumer products from the communists hands...

truely “pure blood” products from where the brand is born? lesser and lesser... if you're willing to be juiced...

Even if one wanted to design and solder together one's own "high end" power amplifier (albeit analog), it will never be completely "pure blood" american or western european. The capacitors might very well be manufactured in china, while the vacuum tubes might be manufactured in eastern europe.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
All of these Oppo clones flooding the market. I doubt they will ever get any traction, and sell though. They are asking very high prices for lesser quality hardware.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I wrote earlier that my Pioneer Elite 62-FD has been filling in while my Oppo is on vacation to California.

One of the things I noticed was that the Pioneer disc drawer has been a bit balky when opening/closing. So, based on the report on my Oppo-203 from the Oppo techs, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I opened the Pioneer case and, surprise, surprise, found some pet hair (although actually not as much as I expected.
So, a quick cleanup with a cloth (all around the the edge of the drawer) completely eliminated any sticking of the drawer! :thumbsup: I wonder how much I should charge myself?!? :laugh:
I honestly thought I'd see much more hair in the case than I did...but those things are closed up pretty tight.
Yay me!
Dogs don't shed much. Wait until you have a couple of cats in your house.

I once took apart and cleaned my Philips DVD-963sa. That stopped it from having some issues on playback. Amazingly enough I'd found a complete factory service manual for the unit online. I bought it in 2003 and it's not easily replaceable at this time: it does SACD and outputs on 6 analog connectors. The last units that did this were the OPPOs which are now no longer available. Going to SACD on HDMI means I have to buy a new AV receiver too. Yuch.

YANG

Screenwriter
Well...
Even if one wanted to design and solder together one's own "high end" power amplifier (albeit analog), it will never be completely "pure blood" american or western european. The capacitors might very well be manufactured in china, while the vacuum tubes might be manufactured in eastern europe.
...there would be some people be buggered by what's going on in the real world of manufacturing and ignorant of how a company grows by cost cutting with products that may be subpar on quality due to the impression of how and where the products are manufactured.
The earlier remarks above, i take it as a pinch of pepper thrown to the crowd that may cause a little disturbance to folks here, but after a few sneeze, and pepper powder settles, we see it either as a form of stupid remarks or sarcasm... if one can afford to be juiced on latter.

As a HT buff that started from Pro-Logic period, i was a little hesitant to upgrade from U.S. made PolkAudio S6 and CS150 fronts to newer Polk speakers which were later churned out from China based factories. The Sherwood A/V receiver stand a chance to be upgraded to Sherwood NewCastle range which was built in the UK, but due to hefty price and the shrinkage of my disposable income, i had to turn to home country built PHILIPS instead and that served me then till today... in the BluRay age.
Once most premium marques had their products made or assembled in the Asian region, i put down my stiff resistance to pay high for Chinese or other Asian made produces.
Production facilities will progress, so as workmanship will improve. What we once may look down upon, may eventually approves along with time... so as the reputation of the manufacturing country.

YANG

Screenwriter
...I once took apart and cleaned my Philips DVD-963sa. That stopped it from having some issues on playback. Amazingly enough I'd found a complete factory service manual for the unit online. I bought it in 2003 and it's not easily replaceable at this time: it does SACD and outputs on 6 analog connectors. The last units that did this were the OPPOs which are now no longer available. Going to SACD on HDMI means I have to buy a new AV receiver too. Yuch.
It's going to be much more harder to find physical disc player with analogue multi-channel output.
Panasonic may continue to build a premium priced player as an attempt to challenge the now disappeared OPPO, and an economical model like UB820 to grab attentions from the niche market... but from the Panasonic camp, they're not friendly to SACDs.
Other makers such as Sony, may have new players coming into the market in later days, or months or years... depending on how much their product is sought after and sellable. But i don't see that they will include multiple channel analogue outputs for SACD friendly playback...

So... now your only choice to get a new gear, will be from brands that you'll fairly unfamiliar with...
such as the premium priced REAVON x200 which features BurrBrown DAC,as claimed by this french reviewer...

...or to go a little budget friendly with unknown multichannel DAC with this GIEC BDP-G5700...
327a40f561714ad28d83c455366d569c.jpeg

...which is a toned down version of the GIEC BDP-G5800, sans HDD bay...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks