World Wide Stereo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ironic because the 205 is commanding astronomical prices

‘twas the best UHD player ever made with well Implemented Sabre pro DACS and the lowest signal to noise distortion ratios out there

thye Get snapped up for ludicrous money very quickly on eBay , audiogon etc

oppo could easily price them 30% more than the MSRP before and they would sell because they were the best built most reliable and most technologically advanced players out there

They've been surpassed for 4K UHD playback though... and isn't actually the best in any particular area anymore.

They're still appreciated for being the best AIO player, particularly amongst audiophile types, but that's kinda like being the best AVR... and that won't really last for a small, disc player maker that needs to turn a profit in this foreseeable marketplace. A relatively small number of folks going completely nutty driving up prices in the 2ndary market is no real indicator otherwise.

Unfortunately, the future for this just doesn't look bright, and Oppo apparently recognized that...

_Man_

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Me? I might revisit the used Oppo market for a 105 instead before too long since they're still quite good for what they do and are dropping in price closer to my comfort zone. I still have my 103 plus a 95 (I bought used 3 years ago mainly for audio playback) to go w/ (much) cheaper 4K players that basically work just as well as a 203/205 for 4K/HDR playback via a good prepro. Not much reason to splurge on a 205 even at its more reasonable, original price me thinks...

Maybe if Oppo stayed in this market another generation longer and produced a final successor 305 player/hub that takes them another step forward for an excellent, audiophile-quality AV hub w/ disc playback for similar price, I probably woulda splurged for that, especially if it actually let's me skip needing a dedicated AV prepro in a relatively minimalistic setup.

_Man_

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wrote earlier that my Pioneer Elite 62-FD has been filling in while my Oppo is on vacation to California.

One of the things I noticed was that the Pioneer disc drawer has been a bit balky when opening/closing. So, based on the report on my Oppo-203 from the Oppo techs, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I opened the Pioneer case and, surprise, surprise, found some pet hair (although actually not as much as I expected.

Here's the open box:

full

At first blush the case looks mighty clean. But here's a detail of the front rim edge of the drawer chassis (click on image for further magnification, if you dare!):

full

So, a quick cleanup with a cloth (all around the the edge of the drawer) completely eliminated any sticking of the drawer! :thumbsup: I wonder how much I should charge myself?!? :laugh:

I honestly thought I'd see much more hair in the case than I did...but those things are closed up pretty tight.

Yay me!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also have an update on my Oppo.

To recap:

On Friday, November 6th, the Oppo left Rensselaer, NY.

On Friday, November 13th, the Oppo arrived in Menlo Park, CA (via Fed Ex Ground). Within hours it was fully serviced and set-up to return to me.

Also on Friday, November 13th, the Oppo was picked up by FedEx Ground and is on its way back to me. Delivery is estimated to take place on Friday, November 20th. I am now tracking the package's progress.

Assuming a safe arrival, this will be a great experience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are few things more satisfying than a DIY repair. (I had fun fixing a VCR last year.)

Very true and why I will never forget when I was a very young man, cracking open my Sanyo Beta Hi-fi deck which wasn't working correctly. I was THRILLED to find that I had inserted a tape onto which a Post-It note had become attached on the bottom. When the tape was fed into the machine and dropped down, the Post-It note had become speared on a spindle and was gumming up the works. :laugh: Took the time to also perform a cleaning and that deck lasted a good long time.

I was working in radio at that time...but then got different work in a joint radio/television shop. Even though I was more of an on-air person, I also learned my way around the inside of 3/4" and Beta decks. Lots of head cleanings and belt changes. There is a definite satisfaction which comes from that kind of work.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also have an update on my Oppo.

To recap:

On Friday, November 6th, the Oppo left Rensselaer, NY.

On Friday, November 13th, the Oppo arrived in Menlo Park, CA (via Fed Ex Ground). Within hours it was fully serviced and set-up to return to me.

Also on Friday, November 13th, the Oppo was picked up by FedEx Ground and is on its way back to me. Delivery is estimated to take place on Friday, November 20th. I am now tracking the package's progress.

Assuming a safe arrival, this will be a great experience.

Your Oppo has traveled more this year than I have! :D

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ironic because the 205 is commanding astronomical prices...

oppo could easily price them 30% more than the MSRP before and they would sell...

If this wasn't an OOP item, it wouldn't command such prices, though. I'm sure at least a few people (with the cash to spare) bought them up once the shutdown was announced with the sole purpose of marking them up and making a profit. If Oppo were still making UHD players, you wouldn't be seeing $1,000-plus prices on any of their units (unless it was a Special Edition version or something). They'd still be selling for RRP (or less for used ones).

As soon as 'new' players became a thing of the past, the prices shot up overnight. Some call it market speculation, others call it scalping, but it is what it is.

It's all a supply/demand thing, and also about their high-end reputation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t own a 4K UHD disc player yet. If I were making the plunge today, a two year old Oppo would not be in consideration. In fact, I intentionally did not buy one when they were shutting down because I knew I wouldn’t be upgrading my displays soon and I felt it was more likely than not that another player would surpass it by the time I needed one, and that has turned out to be the case.

But I am enormously happy with my 103 BD player and will keep that around as long as it’s ticking.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don’t own a 4K UHD disc player yet. If I were making the plunge today, a two year old Oppo would not be in consideration. In fact, I intentionally did not buy one when they were shutting down because I knew I wouldn’t be upgrading my displays soon and I felt it was more likely than not that another player would surpass it by the time I needed one, and that has turned out to be the case.

But I am enormously happy with my 103 BD player and will keep that around as long as it’s ticking.

Yeah, I was basically in the same boat at the time.

The main reason to have an Oppo 20x is if one very strongly value an excellent all-in-one disc solution that includes good support for more fringy things like SACD and multi-region BD/DVD (particularly if audiophile quality is desired), but while that's certainly a (very) nice-to-have, it's really only worth so much. Nothing wrong w/ having 2+ players that handle somewhat different duties, which is what I'm doing now (and probably extending the life of my Oppo players as a result).

If this wasn't an OOP item, it wouldn't command such prices, though. I'm sure at least a few people (with the cash to spare) bought them up once the shutdown was announced with the sole purpose of marking them up and making a profit. If Oppo were still making UHD players, you wouldn't be seeing $1,000-plus prices on any of their units (unless it was a Special Edition version or something). They'd still be selling for RRP (or less for used ones).

As soon as 'new' players became a thing of the past, the prices shot up overnight. Some call it market speculation, others call it scalping, but it is what it is.

It's all a supply/demand thing, and also about their high-end reputation.

That's certainly true of the 203... though the 205 (and prior XX5s) was actually originally sold for $1.3K. But yeah, nowhere near the current going rate of course...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike was a little panicked tonight. (Enough that he started referring to himself in the third person!) :D

Ever since Oppo shipped the package to me, it had an expected delivery date of today/tonight.

However, the package was last scanned in Brazil, Indiana last night at 7:45pm. I figured there was no way that package would be at my door today.

So, I resigned myself to wait for the tracking to update and see what happened. But, nothing--all day.

Until a couple hours ago, the expected delivery date changed to "pending" and there was no new scanned arrival anywhere. I honestly got nervous.

But then at 9:45pm, the expected delivery date changed to tomorrow and the package was scanned in Syracuse (just about three hours from my home). I figure it gets put on a truck to Albany tonight and then on a truck for delivery in the morning.

Phew!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Mike was a little panicked tonight. (Enough that he started referring to himself in the third person!) :D

Ever since Oppo shipped the package to me, it had an expected delivery date of today/tonight.

However, the package was last scanned in Brazil, Indiana last night at 7:45pm. I figured there was no way that package would be at my door today.

So, I resigned myself to wait for the tracking to update and see what happened. But, nothing--all day.

Until a couple hours ago, the expected delivery date changed to "pending" and there was no new scanned arrival anywhere. I honestly got nervous.

But then at 9:45pm, the expected delivery date changed to tomorrow and the package was scanned in Syracuse (just about three hours from my home). I figure it gets put on a truck to Albany tonight and then on a truck for delivery in the morning.

Phew!
I panicked when I read Brazil!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I wasn't without worry again this morning as I got mixed messages from FedEx.

The first said the delivery date of my package was pushed back to Monday. The 2nd said that the package was on a truck and "out for delivery." Thankfully, the 2nd message carried the day. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks