What's new

Oppenheimer (2023) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that that sex scene was enhanced by visual effects. Like they were filmed separately and spliced into that scene.
Tino, that’s a very observant theory! It wasn’t obvious, if that was the case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After trying to watch Oppenheimer since I bought the disc on release day, I was finally able to take 3 hours for it last night. And aside from painfully discovering my release-date 4K disc has a manufacturing error causing it to freeze at 57 minutes in the Chevalier scene, the movie was phenomenal.

I locked my doors to make sure Scorsese couldn’t get it and rat me out, because at three hours long, I had to take an intermission. Post Trinity was a perfect time to pause on the black screen, make a Whiskey Sour, stretch my legs, before finishing the second half.

I managed to avoid basically all info about Oppenheimer, and didn’t realize it was more a political thriller than a scientist-process movie. And I’m sure there could have been an equally fantastic sciencing-the-bomb movie, I really enjoyed the prosecuting-science movie we got.

It was hard to follow in the first half. Time jumps, accents, dialog mixed low, partial information giving scant details about historical / social norms from 70 years ago. By the second half, I was mostly on track with the key threads. But it was overwhelming in the first half. (And my wife felt it as a you’re-a-dumb-viewer-for-not-knowing-all-this-already experience and really diminished her experience with the movie.) The first half could have been done better, more clearly, Oppenheimer isn’t perfect. Pretty great, but not a perfect movie.

But as a guy who had to take quantum mechanics in grad school, who recognizes a wave function on a blackboard, and knows Feynman is the guy playing the bongos: Wow. Having this period of time realized when the world of physics was being turned inside out, and all the greatest scientific minds were gathered together, is a gobsmacker.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I had lunch today in Princeton, at the Yankee Doodle Tavern. This booth is where (I’m told) Robert Oppenheimer and Albert Einstein sat and talked about the Manhattan Project. The hostess said they carved their names in the table’s wood, but there were so many carvings in there that I couldn’t make them out. I think they carved the formula for nuclear fission in there.

IMG_6260.jpeg
IMG_6261.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks