What's new

Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)

Tagline: The story of the extraordinary people who changed our world.

Genre: War, Drama, History

Director: Roland Joffé

Cast: Paul Newman, Dwight Schultz, Bonnie Bedelia, John Cusack, Laura Dern, Ron Frazier, John C. McGinley, Natasha Richardson, Ron Vawter, Michael Brockman, Del Close, John Considine, Allan Corduner, Joe D'Angerio, Jon DeVries, James Eckhouse, Todd Field, Mary Pat Gleason, Clark Gregg, Péter Halász, Gerald Hiken, Arthur Holden, Ed Lauter, Donald MacKechnie, Madison Mason, Krzysztof Pieczyński, Don Pugsley, Logan Ramsey, Fred Dalton Thompson, Jim True-Frost, Barry Yourgrau, Marek Alboszta, Steven Baigelman, Frank Benettieri Jr., Roger Cubicciotti, Franco Cutietta, Robert Peter Gale, Wesley Harrison, Brent Harrison, Tom McFarlane, David C. Parnes, Allen Poirson, David Politzer, Bill Rubenstein, Ken Strausbaugh, Walter Sullivan, Brian Wandell, John Williams, Walker Edmiston, Matthew Faison, Stan Jones, Alan Oppenheimer

Release: 1989-10-20

Runtime: 127

Plot: Assigned to oversee the development of the atomic bomb, Gen. Leslie Groves is a stern military man determined to have the project go according to plan. He selects J. Robert Oppenheimer as the key scientist on the top-secret operation, but the two men clash fiercely on a number of issues. Despite their frequent conflicts, Groves and Oppenheimer ultimately push ahead with two bomb designs — the bigger "Fat Man" and the more streamlined "Little Boy."

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Surprisingly I didn't enjoy this that much. I don't think it's that great.

One addition I liked and this is from the top of my head, not sure if it's correct
The accident with "John Cusack" in real life happened after the 2 bombs were used. In the movie it happens before the test. This gave a greater tension of how dangerous and serious this thing is.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Surprisingly I didn't enjoy this that much. I don't think it's that great.

One addition I liked and this is from the top of my head, not sure if it's correct
The accident with "John Cusack" in real life happened after the 2 bombs were used. In the movie it happens before the test. This gave a greater tension of how dangerous and serious this thing is.
Yes, I think it was the most effective part of the film. I worked at Paramount at the time. We had high hopes but the film underwhelmed. Not sure if the Oppenheimer actor/casting could stand up to Paul Newman (and that part was underwritten.) It had its moments and not a total bust. I would need to see it again. It's been 30+ yrs.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I find strange is that the Little Boy was never tested before use, unlike the Fat Man.

Also I find this fascinating and contains that spoiler

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was watching an interview with Dwight Schultz who played Oppenheimer. He says he believes Oppenheimer would and did give secret information to the Soviets! What we know on this?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was watching an interview with Dwight Schultz who played Oppenheimer. He says he believes Oppenheimer would and did give secret information to the Soviets! What we know on this?
That goes against everything else that's been investigated and written about the man. I'll go with those that properly researched the subject matter than some "B" level actor's opinion.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks