What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Munich, The Andromeda Strain, Sneakers - 2/17 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The Strain Of Getting Andromeda

It's been a long strange ride, but I finally snagged one of the elusive Blu-rays of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN (1971). I detailed in post #76 of this thread much of my earlier story. It actually began a week earlier when the "release date" of 2/17/15 arrived, but nothing but frustration occurred. I'd tried ordering it from the website, but it seemed stuck in limbo and too pricey that first week, so I ended up cancelling that.

Every day this week, I've checked the website for "stores near me" that might be carrying it. One nibble had it in Lakeland, FL, but I never investigated that one. It was just a bit too far away. The next day one popped up as available in Brandon, FL, nearer Tampa, so that was also out. Posts on the web indicated that there were some available in the Miami area - and that was CERTAINLY too far away. But these facts all proved at least one thing false. I had been told by an online "customer service rep" that no-one got any in the entire state of Florida. Lies and garbage.

This morning, I remembered once again to check the Best Buy website to see what might be new in this regard - and lo and behold - THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN on Blu-ray was listed at the Florida Mall store, about a 25-minute ride from my home. So I attempted a web-order-store-pickup, paid with a credit card, and like magic I got a reply saying the title was reserved for me to pick up.

The traffic around the Orlando area at this time of year is, to put politely, screwed up. I battled one traffic jam on I-4, and another one on Orange Blossom Trail, but ultimately reached my destination. The online-pick-up lady was polite, but she seemed pre-occupied with something else. (That's another subject, but I hate it when retail clerks don't give me their full attention after greeting me.) Finally another store associate wheeled up with a cart and handed her my ANDROMEDA STRAIN and we completed the transaction.

I've had a few minutes to check it out here at home and don't understand all of the ballyhoo about poor transfers. The movie looks far better than it ever did and I see nothing really wrong with it. It looks great on my 60" Sony and far better than the DVD.

Harry

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Harry-N said:
I've had a few minutes to check it out here at home and don't understand all of the ballyhoo about poor transfers. The movie looks far better than it ever did and I see nothing really wrong with it. It looks great on my 60" Sony and far better than the DVD.

Harry

This is good news, and just shows you the disparity in perspective. While Blu-ray.com has said the master is a disappointment, Harry's words make me wonder just how bad this can be then. I'm interested to hear more member's thoughts on the video quality of The Andromeda Strain while I wait for the BB exclusive to end.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
How are people finding out if Best Buy stores in their area have these in stock? I type in my zip code but all it gives me is a delivery estimate. I don't want delivery.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
How are people finding out if Best Buy stores in their area have these in stock? I type in my zip code but all it gives me is a delivery estimate. I don't want delivery.
When I go to the Munich listing on BB's website, I click on 'Check Stores' (even though it has a red X denoting that it's not in stock), I enter my zip code and it lists the handful of stores that have it somewhat near me.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Dr Griffin said:
This is good news, and just shows you the disparity in perspective. While Blu-ray.com has said the master is a disappointment, Harry's words make me wonder just how bad this can be then. I'm interested to hear more member's thoughts on the video quality of The Andromeda Strain while I wait for the BB exclusive to end.

I don't mean to say that this is the best-ever transfer or that it couldn't be better. It does, as reported elsewhere, have occasional flecks in the picture, but I see that as just making it more "film-like" instead of scrubbed to unreality.

I saw THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN first run in theaters and this Blu-ray is as close to that experience as I've ever encountered. I've gone the route from my own taping from network TV, to taping it from HBO, to professionally made VHS, to widescreen Laserdisc, and to the 2003 DVD. The TVs went from 15" color CRTs to 25" to 27" to 32" and then the jump to 55" HDTV. Now, on the 60" on Blu-ray, it's closer to that old theatrical experience.

Oh, and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the sound of the opening "music" sounded way more intense and well-defined than ever before. Could be the difference between non-lossy and lossy.

Harry

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I am going to back Harry up on this and say The Andromeda Strain on blu looks better than I have ever seen it look. I think one issue that may cause confusion is the film starts out with a very colorful title sequence but then goes into some day for night shots that are, due to the effect they were going for, not at all colorful. My guess is this may cause some confusion because as the film shifts from the credit sequence to those shots of the guys observing the town and driving around in the van it is pretty jarring. However once we get out of that sequence and move to the section of the film where they are collecting up the scientists and beyond the color looks fine to me. Not sure what the big complaint is either.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I did notice a few cases where the scrolling location text was going and the picture above had a lot of "dirt" on it. I'm assuming that the scrolling text was a process shot and there was only so much that could be done. It didn't last long and in general it was dark scenes anyway.

Harry

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Mr. Kimmel said the colors of the German BD are wrong.

I wonder if the colors of the US BD are the same or corrected?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I finally watched the US Andromeda Strain BD last night. I thought it looked and sounded terrific. I remember seeing it on its first release with my Dad, but of course I can't remember the AV quality enough to compare. The last time I saw it was when I watched the US DVD less than a year ago.

Could the BD look better? I don't know. I'd love to read Mr. Harris' opinion...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
cineMANIAC said:
Has anyone been able to find copies in-store now that some time has passed since the street date?
I was able to find all three in several local stores (Chicago suburbs). They were listed on sale the Sunday following release day, and it seems that is when a lot of stores got inventory

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
cineMANIAC said:
Has anyone been able to find copies in-store now that some time has passed since the street date?
Last week I was able to do an same-day instore pickup for it at one of the NYC Best Buys. They have a bunch of stores in NYC but only two of them had it in stock.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I finally found Munich & TAS at a local BB on the 24th. They only had a couple of copies of each. Was in the same store last night and they were well-stocked on each.

Looks to me like the date of 2/17 which we were all going by was never correct. Should have been the 24th.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Craig S said:
I finally found Munich & TAS at a local BB on the 24th. They only had a couple of copies of each. Was in the same store last night and they were well-stocked on each.

Looks to me like the date of 2/17 which we were all going by was never correct. Should have been the 24th.
The 2/17 date is on Best Buy's website and since the titles were listed in their 2/22 ad as being available now (rather than on Tuesday the 24th), the release date was always supposed to be 2/17. It just took BB almost a month to get their act together and stock the discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks