What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Disney should have just replaced the 2D Force Awakens disc with the new release minus the 3D disc and billed it as a "special edition".

...and you'd STILL complain about it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well Sony's new Z-series TV's are 3D capable so...
And your point? I already stated in my previous post that Sony and LG are the last of the 3-D TV manufacturers. Let's hope they keep it up.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I will eagerly get this on blu-ray, but I saw the movie in both 2D and 3D and didn't feel the3D add anything.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And your point? I already stated in my previous post that Sony and LG are the last of the 3-D TV manufacturers. Let's hope they keep it up.

I have to imagine that at least one of them will if for nothing else to have a market advantage. I'm still baffled why Samsung and Vizio dropped 3D. I can't imagine that these days that the cost of including 3D isn't negligible. Many BD players and the PS4 that weren't initially 3D capable became capable via simple firmware updates.

Also, according to The Bits, the 3D version will be released day and date with the general release.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the deal with UHD for these movies? I'm HD currently, but plan to upgrade in a few years. I want to buy combo UHD / Blu releases when the premium is small, as reasonable futureproofing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What's the deal with UHD for these movies? I'm HD currently, but plan to upgrade in a few years. I want to buy combo UHD / Blu releases when the premium is small, as reasonable futureproofing.

At present time, Disney does not support the UHD format, so there are no plans for the release of Lucasfilm (Star Wars), Marvel or Disney titles in UHD. There have been rumors that Disney might begin releasing select UHD titles in 2017, but nothing definitive on that front.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
At present time, Disney does not support the UHD format, so there are no plans for the release of Lucasfilm (Star Wars), Marvel or Disney titles in UHD. There have been rumors that Disney might begin releasing select UHD titles in 2017, but nothing definitive on that front.

If you want to know when Disney is going to release discs in UHD - find out the Rogue One release date, then add about a month to it ;)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The 3D version of Rogue One was completely sold out at the 3 Best Buys in my area (Hamilton Ontario). All the stores said they had huge line ups and they sold out almost as soon as the store opened. I ordered one to be in the store in the next 3 days.
Is this true of the States? We are going to the Buffalo area tomorrow, where I thought I'd check out Target. Their version is much more expensive, but I really don't want the tin box version anyway. I am thinking that the scarcity of the 3D version here might be due to tin box collectors.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The 3D version of Rogue One was completely sold out at the 3 Best Buys in my area (Hamilton Ontario). All the stores said they had huge line ups and they sold out almost as soon as the store opened. I ordered one to be in the store in the next 3 days.
Is this true of the States? We are going to the Buffalo area tomorrow, where I thought I'd check out Target. Their version is much more expensive, but I really don't want the tin box version anyway. I am thinking that the scarcity of the 3D version here might be due to tin box collectors.

Wow. I went to a Target store close to me (Albuquerque) at lunch time and they had dozens of copies of all versions. There was a large display in the front of the store and at least two end caps in the rear with the rest of the media and electronics.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am thinking that the scarcity of the 3D version here might be due to tin box collectors.

I didn't get mine from Best Buy, but in the past I've observed similar sell outs and I also suspect it's more from packaging collectors than 3D enthusiasts.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I decided at the last second to go ahead and get the Blu-ray+3D Blu-ray+DVD+Digital HD box from my local Target, and I literally grabbed the last one in the store!
(The kid in front of me had picked it up -- the mother told him to put it back -- and that's when I snatched it!!)

I sure do miss the convenience of Amazon, though ... *sigh*

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I walked into Target this morning expecting to have to trudge all the way to the back of the store to the disc section. But there was a ROGUE ONE dump right by the door. I grabbed a copy from the already-half depleted supply, went to get in line and there was no one ahead of me. I stuck my credit into the chip reader; it beeped, and I didn't even have to sign. Total in-store time: less than two minutes!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just looking at the Brickseek inventory checker pretty much every store withing 100 miles of here list 20-60 in stock.

My store had at least the number listed, but in 3-4 different locations and talking to an employee he said there was still a box or two in the storeroom and more on order. That was around 4pm ET. If you run into that issue in the future with a big release just ask the Employees and they should be albe to tell how many are still in the backroom, but which aisles have stock for these multi-spot movies -- assuming you hadn't already checked. but so far haven't read of stores running out other than a few like normal whose shipments were delayed.

BBY had minimum of 20 Steelbooks still on display and the racks were pretty filled so I suspect they had restocked sometime in the afternoon.

Walmart was a weird store -- one store next to BBY has about 20 or more of the exclusives on display, every one in a plastic coffin too small for the collectible cover and more very damaged. Special Release +$3 for the Cover and you intentionally damage each one.
The 2nd store had none in any of the 3 locations -- there were 40 in stock last night when I checked inventory. I ddin't ask if there were more since I really wasn't buying it anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I decided to wait. A friend bought it (2D) and I'll borrow it in the short term if I want to watch it. Otherwise, I'll wait for eventual holiday sales this Fall or Winter.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Well I bought the 3D steel book. I wish it were similar to the Force Awakens 3D set. oh well. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.
3D viewing this weekend. w00t!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW, in case anyone is keeping score, Amazon is not only still battling Disney on listing blu-rays and DVDs, it is also now fighting with Warner Bros. Look up any upcoming Warner blu-ray, and you'll see "currently unavailable."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks