What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Civil War (2024) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
359450_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

4k UHD Combo

4k UHD Combo (Amazon Exclusive)

Blu-ray/DVD

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I won't be seeing this POS!!!
Oh? Then how do you know it's a "POS" if you haven't seen it? Or do you always review films you haven't seen? There are many movies I have no interest in and don't go to see because the subject matter doesn't interest me but I don't pass judgement on them because, well ..... I haven't seen them.

But thank you for commenting on a thread on a movie you have no interest in. There are threads on Criterion's release of Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid and Risky Business, two movies I have zero interest in. Perhaps I should invade those threads to let everyone know I'm not interested. Yes?

Last edited:

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Had he saw the movie like me he’d understand that the movie doesn’t pick a political side. It’s more of an anti war film just put under a more modern lens. I found the character work really riveting and the finale quite good. More about the horrors of war. Shame some make judgements before actually watching as this one is pretty accessible no matter what your political views are.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Oh? Then how do you know it's a "POS" if you haven't seen it? Or do you always review films you haven't seen? There are many movies I have no interest in and don't go to see because the subject matter doesn't interest me but I don't pass judgement on them because, well ..... I haven't seen them.

But thank you for commenting on a thread on a movie you have no interest in. There are threads on Criterion's release of Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid and Risky Business, two movies I have zero interest in. Perhaps I should invade those threads to let everyone know I'm not interested. Yes?
Sure, why not.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Had he saw the movie like me he’d understand that the movie doesn’t pick a political side. It’s more of an anti war film just put under a more modern lens. I found the character work really riveting and the finale quite good. More about the horrors of war. Shame some make judgements before actually watching as this one is pretty accessible no matter what your political views are.
Oh, it does pick a l or R side. A sutle way of showing what they think will happen when The guy running against the guy in the big house WINS.

Aren't reviews worth anything anymore?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh, it does pick a l or R side. A sutle way of showing what they think will happen when The guy running against the guy in the big house WINS.

Aren't reviews worth anything anymore?
Reviews are nothing but opinions. YOU, however, haven't actually seen the film, so how can you possibly make meaningful, informed comments about it? You can't. Yet here you are.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Reviews are nothing but opinions. YOU, however, haven't actually seen the film, so how can you possibly make meaningful, informed comments about it? You can't. Yet here you are.
Yep agreed. If he saw the film he might have a different opinion but then again sounds like his mind is already made up such a shame. This is the first I’ve heard anyone claiming this movie picked a side when most said and I agree that it doesn’t. I gave the poorly reviewed Argyle a chance and quite liked it despite the more silly elements. Your preconceived notions can be wrong and you’ll never find out unless you give it a chance.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Just saw this yesterday, and yeah, definitely not quite what I sorta expected even though I was aware that it's probably more about the journalists than the actual war (or very vague politics) depicted from a couple comments about it.

Still, I would suggest people go in cold and *not* read even that review that sorta tried not to say too much (as it points out by the end), but IMHO, probably still said too much -- and I'm glad I didn't read it before seeing it... although now, I might wanna see it in a good (IMAX) theater again.

I'll say this. From a technical/visual standpoint, this should probably be seen in IMAX even though some indicated it's not necessary... mainly because it's clearly composed/formatted for 1.9:1(?) IMAX. I saw in Dolby Cinema, and the entire movie ended up pillarboxed on the 2.4:1 screen. Fortunately, I sat close enough to still get a fairly immersive FOV, but probably woulda sat another row closer if I had known before the movie started.

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Saw it this evening and kept thinking throughout the movie, that the digital photography was a bit jarring in places. Mainly: the lack of grain and the digital effects added to give certain scenes an effect. Particularly when the film kept emphasising the analogue black and white photos, taken by one of the characters. Perhaps my brain keeps wanting a fine layer of grain on a blockbuster film?

As an aside, the trailer before the film was for the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Menace. The quality of the footage used in the trailer looked atrocious, compared to modern digital blockbusters, such as Civil War! It's not going to look good on a big screen.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really liked this movie. The last 15 minutes alone are worth the price (and should make for a stellar AV demo). I hope the steelbook release hits Canada (I'm assuming one of the linked releases is for a steelbook).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale