What's new

Pre-Order Grease (1978) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm no expert on the film, but apparently the last time the original audio appeared on home video was on VHS and laserdisc. It seems that at some stage they started to substitute the recordings from the album. More processed and reverb added. I wonder if any effort will be taken to restore the original audio?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm no expert on the film, but apparently the last time the original audio appeared on home video was on VHS and laserdisc. It seems that at some stage they started to substitute the recordings from the album. More processed and reverb added. I wonder if any effort will be taken to restore the original audio?
Probably not. Randal Kleiser was directly responsible for that remix (done in 1998 for the film's last reissue) and unless somebody at Paramount pulls a 4.1 out of the vault, we're stuck with it.

...and even if they did, the usual faction of this forum would boycott over lack of Atmos.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Probably not. Randal Kleiser was directly responsible for that remix (done in 1998 for the film's last reissue) and unless somebody at Paramount pulls a 4.1 out of the vault, we're stuck with it.

...and even if they did, the usual faction of this forum would boycott over lack of Atmos.
NO 3D no sale ;) !

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
40 Years Later, It’s Still the Word

GREASE

Relive the Classic ‘50s Celebration with a New 40th Anniversary Edition Featuring Fully Restored Picture and Sound and New Bonus Content on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital April 24, 2018

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – It’s got a groove, it’s got a meaning…and it’s still a cultural phenomenon 40 years after its original release. The iconic celebration of high school life in the 1950s, GREASE is the way you’ll be feeling with a new 40th Anniversary Edition on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital April 24, 2018 from Paramount Home Media Distribution.

Featuring an explosion of song and dance, as well as star-making performances from John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, GREASE made an indelible impact on popular culture. 40 years later, the film remains an enduring favorite as legions of new fans discover the memorable moments, sensational soundtrack and classic love story. Boasting unforgettable songs including “Greased Lightnin,” “Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee,” “Summer Nights,” “Hopelessly Devoted To You,” “Beauty School Drop Out” and, of course, “Grease,” the film is a timeless feel-good celebration.

Paramount worked with director Randal Kleiser to restore GREASE to its original vibrancy with the highest quality sound, picture resolution and color. The original negative was scanned and received extensive clean up and color correction using previously unavailable digital restoration tools such as high dynamic range technology. In addition, the audio was enhanced from a six-track mix created for an original 70mm release, giving the music more clarity. The resulting picture and sound create an exceptional home viewing experience.

The GREASE 40th Anniversary Edition 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Combo Packs include the fully restored version of the film plus an all-new, in-depth exploration of the little-known origins of what would become a Broadway play and then a feature film and worldwide phenomenon. “Grease: A Chicago Story” features new interviews with writer Jim Jacobs and original cast members of the Chicago show. In addition, the discs include the original song the title sequence was animated to and an alternate ending salvaged from the original black & white 16mm work print discovered by director Randal Kleiser.

Both the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Combo Packs also feature more than an hour of previously released bonus material, including a sing-along, vintage interviews with the cast, deleted scenes and more. Plus, the Blu-ray Combo comes in collectible packaging with 16 pages of images laid out like a high school yearbook. In addition, a Grease Collection will be available in a Steelbook Locker, which includes the 40th Anniversary Blu-ray of Grease, as well as Grease 2 and Grease: Live! on Blu-ray for the first time.

GREASE 40th Anniversary Blu-ray Combo Pack

The GREASE Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, German 5.1 Dolby Digital, Italian 5.1 Dolby Digital, Japanese 2.0 Dolby Digital, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, Castilian Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Latin American Spanish Mono Dolby Digital, and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, Cantonese, Mandarin Simplified, Mandarin Traditional, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Castilian Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Thai and Turkish subtitles. The DVD in the Combo Pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, and Spanish subtitles. The Combo Pack includes access to a Digital copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray

• Feature film in high definition
  • Commentary by director Randal Kleiser and choreographer Patricia Birch
  • Introduction by Randal Kleiser
  • Rydell Sing-Along
  • The Time, The Place, The Motion: Remembering Grease
  • Grease: A Chicago Story—NEW!
  • Alternate Animated Main Titles—NEW!
  • Alternate Ending—NEW!
  • Deleted/Extended/Alternate Scenes with Introduction by Randal Kleiser
  • Grease Reunion 2002 – DVD Launch Party
  • Grease Memories from John & Olivia
  • The Moves Behind the Music
  • Thunder Roadsters
  • John Travolta and Allan Carr “Grease Day” interview
  • Olivia Newton-John and Robert Stigwood “Grease Day” interview
  • Photo Galleries
  • Theatrical Trailer
DVD

• Feature film in standard definition
  • Rydell Sing-Along
  • Alternate Ending—NEW!
  • Photo Galleries

GREASE
40th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack

The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the Blu-ray detailed above as well as a 4K disc presented in Ultra HD with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, German 5.1 Dolby Digital, Italian 5.1 Dolby Digital, Japanese 2.0 Dolby Digital, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, Castilian Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Latin American Spanish Mono Dolby Digital, and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, Cantonese, Mandarin Simplified, Mandarin Traditional, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Castilian Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Thai and Turkish subtitles. The 4K Ultra HD disc includes the feature film and commentary by director Randal Kleiser and choreographer Patricia Birch.

GREASE 40th Anniversary DVD

The GREASE single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, and Spanish subtitles. The DVD includes the following:

• Feature film in standard definition
  • Rydell Sing-Along
  • Alternate Ending—NEW!
  • Photo Galleries

GREASE 40th Anniversary

Street Date: April 24, 2018 (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD & Digital)

U.S. Rating: PG

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
" In addition, the audio was enhanced from a six-track mix created for an original 70mm release, giving the music more clarity. "

I...guess that means they're using the original soundtrack??

At the very least, they should put it out in both the original and "enhanced" soundtrack versions, if they really think the more modern remixes are so superior.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I remember seeing the 70mm print at the Empire in London and the 6 track magnetic stereo did not sound that good so it will be good to see a review of the UHD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you want to split hairs, even the 4.1 isn't technically the original. Grease premiered and played exclusively with 35mm Dolby 2.0 prints for the first two months of its run. A smattering of 70mm prints showed up in late August.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
I sincerely hope that Paramount changes its mind and at least offers up the 2 channel track as an option. I’ll be OK with a new remix if it stays true to the original stereo - a perfect example being how Rocky Horror’s 5.1 track carefully followed the mix and balance of the original mono by remixing from the original stems. The extra reverb and echo added for Grease’s 1998 theatrical rerelease (currently available on DVD) sounds awful. The songs don’t come alive and “pop” as they did in the original theatrical release. Instruments are often buried, while things like backup singers are too loud, echoed, and delayed. The Hi-Fi VHS from way back had amazing sound. I know that sounds crazy, but it really did. The songs had amazing punch - just as I remembered it in the theater, with no unnecessary and annoying echo effects.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It also had the 1950s Paramount logo and a special fanfare, all lost for the generic and anachronistic 1990s Viacom logo and faux-Star Wars music. Bradley, you are right that the Hi-Fi Stereo track from the 1990 VHS was the best sounding release, and I still have that at my Mom's house just because it was that much better. Hopefully this re-remix will be better, and the picture will be less soft than the old Blu-ray.

And it's coming in time for my 35th birthday, too.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Hi-Fi VHS from way back had amazing sound.
Mine didn’t. It had the tracks horribly out of phase, so that when you listened to it through a surround-sound decoder the vocals were coming through all channels. My VHS copy was purchased in 1986 so maybe they fixed it for later stock but I never repurchased it until the DVD came out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll wait to hear the reviews, too.

But if the sound is improved, I'll gladly bite again at this apple. It's amazing how this title has been so poorly treated.

Didn't I also read that there was some kind of "ultimate" release of this that was going to include the Live TV Broadcast of Grease with Julianne Hough?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If you want to split hairs, even the 4.1 isn't technically the original. Grease premiered and played exclusively with 35mm Dolby 2.0 prints for the first two months of its run. A smattering of 70mm prints showed up in late August.
It would have a four or six track printmaster before being encoded into Dolby Stereo.

Neil

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The 1998 remix is truly one of the worst ever done. There are mistakes all over the place. Sounds and dialogue are added and/or missing, background vocals are included that weren't in the original release. Weird percussion shows up in the middle of Summer Nights. At one point the background vocals in You're the One That I Want go horribly out of sync. The foley is too loud during musical numbers. It's a mess and fans have been complaining for 20 years to no avail. I don't know what "enhanced from the six-track mix" means. Enhanced sounds like it was changed, not restored. The original Dolby Stereo wasn't the greatest, but it had a certain feel and the songs have a punch that is missing from the 1998 remix, And it's the original soundtrack, it should be included. That said, I am tentatively excited for this release. Here's hoping the "enhanced" six-track mix is reasonably faithful.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't bought this since its initial DVD release, which for some reason I distinctly remember buying at Circuit City back when they still existed. I remember having to argue with the salesperson because the widescreen release was marked as more expensive than the equivalent pan & scan version, even though the only difference between the two releases was the transfer, and I got them to correct it and give me the widescreen one for cheaper, even though they clearly didn't want to and were resistant. Since I don't have it in HD yet, I'll probably upgrade to the new Blu-ray.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 1998 remix is truly one of the worst ever done.
That remix is the sole reason this film is not already a part of my collection. Not that there haven't been plenty of other issues with the disc releases of this title, but that's the only one that's kept my from making a purchase.

I'm hoping the new mix at least drops the reverb and the background singers.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, the film never got a widescreen laserdisc release prior to the 20th anniversary. So getting an OAR home video release was a big deal then. Hopefully everything that was wrong about the old Blu-ray will be made right here.

What exactly was Randal Kleiser thinking with the remix?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What exactly was Randal Kleiser thinking with the remix?
Here's what he told the Los Angeles Times at the time:

When the re-release was confirmed, Cecelia Hall, Paramount's vice president of post-production sound, went into the vaults and examined the original 35-millimeter music masters. The adhesive on the film had become a flaking, gooey mess. The music tracks could not be unwound, much less played. Cecelia had heard of a technique to temporarily bind the brown oxide to the clear Mylar film, at least long enough to make a transfer, by heating them.

She took these original music masters to her Tujunga home and baked them in her kitchen oven at 150 degrees for six hours. Miraculously, it worked, and she saved the tracks, allowing the Dolby six-track mix to be done.

Recently I took Olivia Newton-John and Didi Conn (who played Frenchy) to a midnight showing of the movie. We slipped in the back and were surprised to see the audience dressed in '50s outfits. The crowd sang along with the songs and repeated lines back to the screen, very much how I remember midnight screenings of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

After the show, we laid low, waiting for the theater to clear, not knowing if anyone had spotted Olivia and Didi. When we came outside, the audience was waiting, gathered under the marquee. They broke into applause and began singing "We Go Together." Didi and Olivia were moved to tears. They were treated like superstars, photographed and hounded for autographs.

pixel.gif

I never expected "Grease" to become a cult favorite, but sitting in that theater, hearing the audience sing and yell out the dialogue along with the actors was invigorating. It gave me the idea, for this re-release, of putting backup singers and hand claps in the surround speakers to encourage audience participation.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It got the dreaded "sticky shed syndrome." So, the remix was partly to cover up the ravages of time that were already apparent after 20 years. Just like old TV doctors used to say "medical science has only come so far," audio restoration technology had only come so far in 1998. Hopefully by now, just as the latest release of My Fair Lady brought back clarity to the sound that had been lost over the years, the same can be accomplished here.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Didn't I also read that there was some kind of "ultimate" release of this that was going to include the Live TV Broadcast of Grease with Julianne Hough?

Turns out it's only available in a Grease multi-pack (Grease, Grease 2 and Grease Live/TV) only available on Blu-ray (not 4k UHD).

Which is a pain in the neck...because I'd really like the 4k of Grease...AND the Blu of Grease Live/TV. Grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks