What's new

UHD Disney Is Finally Going UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 UHD Pre-order Appears (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gunn said on Twitter this afternoon that it would also be available in 3D.

DId he clarify and say "3D in US" (3D in US at 1st Release) or just leave it open? If the latter, we were already there sicne the international releases are just about written in stone.

Reminds me a little of the original advance press releases of BatB Enchanted Christmas when they mentioned DVD and Digital, but left off Bluray. It was a couple weeks or more along with multiple thread rants/near-immolations and cursing of Disney's heritage by both Romani and high voodoo priestesses before the BD release was confirmed even though it was a DMC Exclusive

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Here is the whole tweet and I wanted to bold the section that highlights this hijacked UHD thread that is now a 3D thread...

James Gunn
· 42 mins ·
Facebook Mentions
·

Yes, it's true, & I am UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED to announce that, after a couple of years of me begging and pleading, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be coming ...to home video in 4K UltraHD. It will be the FIRST Disney release to be released this way.

4K UltraHD is almost certainly the best way you can see this movie at home - with more definition and the most vibrant colors possible on your home screen, and with the brightest brights and the blackest blacks. A being composed of light truly appears to be a being composed of light! This version is a roiling cinematic river of beauty and I've taken hundreds of hours personally making it look the best it can. This is one of the reasons why LIGHT and COLOR are such important elements of Vol. 2's story, and why we screened the World Premiere in Los Angeles in essentially this format.

And yes for those of you asking, there will also be a 3D home release.

We will soon have lots more exciting announcements about the home release and some unbelievably cool additional content, including something that's so amazing I've been chomping at the bit for months not being able to talk about it!

So more OFFICIAL announcements soon. Be careful what you listen to if it doesn't come from here or Marvel Studios as sometimes things seep out into the world from artwork that isn't finalized, etc.

And have a great Wednesday. Love to you all

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Add to that the sad state of 3D show times in most first run theaters(at my theater 12 showings a day on a major film, and 3D is relegated to a 3:55, and 9:40 showing only). Yes the writing is on the wall. My only wish is that studios don't rip off the band aid for home video releases until the format has vanished from theaters.

There's been conflicting opinions on if 3D will "vanish" from theaters- on one hand they've already spent thousands of dollars on 3D equipment and won't be happy if there's nothing to show on it, but on the other they do seem to be cutting back on 3D showings. I've heard that more people have been coming to the 2D showings, but of course that's likely mostly because of the UPCHARGES for 3D. It's very sad that they would drop 3D showings before dropping the upcharges. I've just about given up on theaters altogether anyway, for this reason as well as a laundry list of others. (Although I did say in another thread that going to a 3D show was a good way to get more glasses for your passive TV.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Back when widescreen and stereo came out, they did not charge extra in the theaters for these features. Of course, back then, the thinking was "How can we attract more movie goers?" Now the thinking is "How can we wring every last dollar out of the movie goer?"

Should a customer think "that's too much", well screw him, we'll just cancel the feature and say it wasn't popular.

Tom Bergeron

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Here is the whole tweet and I wanted to bold the section that highlights this hijacked UHD thread that is now a 3D thread...

James Gunn
· 42 mins ·
Facebook Mentions
·

Yes, it's true, & I am UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED to announce that, after a couple of years of me begging and pleading, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be coming ...to home video in 4K UltraHD. It will be the FIRST Disney release to be released this way.

4K UltraHD is almost certainly the best way you can see this movie at home - with more definition and the most vibrant colors possible on your home screen, and with the brightest brights and the blackest blacks. A being composed of light truly appears to be a being composed of light! This version is a roiling cinematic river of beauty and I've taken hundreds of hours personally making it look the best it can. This is one of the reasons why LIGHT and COLOR are such important elements of Vol. 2's story, and why we screened the World Premiere in Los Angeles in essentially this format.

And yes for those of you asking, there will also be a 3D home release.

We will soon have lots more exciting announcements about the home release and some unbelievably cool additional content, including something that's so amazing I've been chomping at the bit for months not being able to talk about it!

So more OFFICIAL announcements soon. Be careful what you listen to if it doesn't come from here or Marvel Studios as sometimes things seep out into the world from artwork that isn't finalized, etc.

And have a great Wednesday. Love to you all

That does not confirm a 3D release for NA

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great news on guardians 2!!!

I'm assuming all Disney uhd releases will be with Dolby Vision??

If so this will be my first uhd blu ray purchase. I've been holding off for Dolby Vision.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wouldn't assume anything regarding Dolby Vision. This IS Disney after all. ;)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I wouldn't assume anything regarding Dolby Vision. This IS Disney after all. ;)

Well the one rumor I saw a couple days ago was this was also going to be their first title with Atmos sound and it was to have Dolby Vision as well. However, until we see the official release I'm just hoping on the Atmos sound at least. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, I won't be holding my breath on DV until I see a screenshot of the back cover with the logo in place.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yeah, I won't be holding my breath on DV until I see a screenshot of the back cover with the logo in place.

Yes I will wait for confirmation before buying this or any other uhd blu ray title.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will most likely have to see this movie before deciding if I will put it on my purchase list or not and if yes I would most likely get in on 4K UHD BD. I also have to be selective on what I spend my available cash on especially since I am dying to get a new Marantz receiver. I definitely will get the Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tells as soon as it comes out! I would get all the Pirates movies on 4K UHD BD!!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone been able to preorder GOTG2 (either UHD or blu-ray) from Amazon? I know the stupid feud between Amazon and Disney persists, but there is usually a tiny window in which to order these. I'm wondering if it has happened yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks