What's new

UHD Disney Is Finally Going UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 UHD Pre-order Appears (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Could be a mistake, but James Gunn did say he was going to try to convince them to release it on UHD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What we want is a 4K/3D disc..come on!!!:3dglasses:

The UHD spec does not allow for 3D, so it's not possible to have a disc that's both in 4K and 3D. The theatrical 3D spec doesn't allow for 4K 3D either, so all modern 3D films are presented in 2K.

Could be a mistake, but James Gunn did say he was going to try to convince them to release it on UHD.

I suspect this is a one-time test case, if it does come to fruition, and not a commitment to fully embracing the format. Disney also gives their subsidiaries some leeway in product configuration, so even if Marvel supports UHD for this one title, I don't think it automatically translates to the other bands.

For what it's worth, Guardians in 2D is a 4K DCP, whereas the vast majority of Disney titles are completed in 2K. They have an extremely small library of modern 4K titles, and I can't help but conclude that they are extremely comfortable with 2K as a release format. They didn't make J.J. Abrams post The Force Awakens in 4K, even knowing it was going to be their biggest release of the decade and would screen on the world's largest screens. I can't help but think that their reasoning must be something like, "If 2K is enough for IMAX and the world's largest screens, why does anyone need 4K on a TV?" The pattern continues to this day; the new Beauty And The Beast is a 2K release.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The rumor was that this would be the first Disney release since the movie was first announced to use 8K cameras. I totally believe that this is the key to the door that will release the Marvel titles on UHD, the rest of their catalog may take awhile. The Iron Man movies where released in Europe, Disney could have shut it down if they wanted. Anyway this is my hope. 2K DI vs 4K DI is irrelevant in the big picture and should not mater in the least. 4K is a container to deliver HDR, 10 bit color, 2020, etc... Just like 8K will be a container to package Dynamic HDR, 12 bit color, Etc. Once people get over the resolution crap we can have conversations about releasing things with the best picture possible.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The UHD spec does not allow for 3D, so it's not possible to have a disc that's both in 4K and 3D. The theatrical 3D spec doesn't allow for 4K 3D either, so all modern 3D films are presented in 2K.

I took his post to mean that he wanted it packaged with both the 4K and 3D discs. That would be my preference too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Duh. Yeah, I'm not 4K yet but I'm all in favor of future-proofing like that.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sadly, there aren't many that have been released like that. Sony was doing it, but stopped.

Viking61

Agent
Real Name
Asle

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What we want is a 4K/3D disc..come on!!!:3dglasses:
Even if Disney does release Guardians in 4K, I can't believe they will make it a 4K/3D package. Disney never misses a chance to milk the cash cow. I think it will be two separate released.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
He did. Disney needs to get on board, I am not buying another one of their movies until they start supporting 4K. I am also done spending $40 per movie to import 3D blu-rays from overseas they refuse to release here. A-holes.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Fingers crossed that these listings are legit. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm one way or the other. Maybe Bill Hunt can get a definitive answer?

If so, this is great news.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here. I passed on Rogue One and Dr. Strange on BD, and will continue to do so on new releases that are not available in UHD.

It is what it is. Rogue One looks PHENOMENAL upscaled to 4K on my OLED. Truly. It's pretty much a reference transfer. You may want to think about reconsidering, and doing the inevitable double-dip. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
45 Canadian for the 4K/3D pre-order. Doesn't look like a typo to me. The pricing is right in line with Disney's ridiculous pricing pattern.Their Blu-ray releases were the most expensive out of all of the studios. Now their 4K pricing will be the most expensive. Sales will be low and Disney will blame it on people not caring for 4K instead of their ridiculous overpricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks