JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I ended up trading scanners with my mom -- my ancient Epson works fine on her old iMac, her slightly less ancient Epson works fine on my Mac Studio.
My somewhat old Epson V700 works fine on the Studio. My document scanner at work, an Epson ES400 also works fine.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My somewhat old Epson V700 works fine on the Studio. My document scanner at work, an Epson ES400 also works fine.

I click the three dots next to his video and select not interested. I posted once in his video comment section that he was clickbait of the worst kind and he ended up banning me from making any more comments. I feel proud of that accomplishment.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My darling wife has just COMPLETELY upstaged me...

IMG_9542.jpg
IMG_9543.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Congrats to your wife, Doug!

Don't worry. Next year you can outdo her with an M3 purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Seriously, I can't even scratch the surface with my M1 Max Studio. Of course, I'm not doing video, but I am doing some pretty hard-core processing on 45MP images.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What does your wife have planned for that M2 Ultra Pro?
She's a photographer who does a LOT of full-frame nighttime shooting. Milky Way, etc. Lightroom, Photoshop, StarStax workflows, with some projects involving the stacking and processing of thousands of individual frames to achieve the final result. The new Studio will chew through this stuff in minutes as opposed to the hours it used to take with her old 2016 Intel MacBook Pro.

Overkill? Perhaps a bit, but she's future-proofed for at least a few years now. Meanwhile, I'll just sit over here with my lowly M2 Mini. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
She's a photographer who does a LOT of full-frame nighttime shooting. Milky Way, etc. Lightroom, Photoshop, StarStax workflows, with some projects involving the stacking and processing of thousands of individual frames to achieve the final result. The new Studio will chew through this stuff in minutes as opposed to the hours it used to take with her old 2016 Intel MacBook Pro.

Overkill? Perhaps a bit, but she's future-proofed for at least a few years now. Meanwhile, I'll just sit over here with my lowly M2 Mini. :)
I have a couple friends that do astro-photography. I haven’t kept up with one friend, but a few years ago he was throwing old GPUs at it running them overnight to process his images.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I might have already said this here, but ai image processes like Topaz Sharpen ai on a 45MP image, even on my wimpy M1 Max Studio, went from 3-5 minutes on a 6 core i7 to 5-10 seconds on the Studio.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF she's doing it professionally (or probably even semi-pro) and can write it off as a business expense, well, why not I'd think?

It's probably gonna be either a new M2 Max Studio or M2 Ultra Studio anyway, right?

And if she ever ventures into video in the next few years (or probably beyond), she'll be covered...

Me? I probably need to buy a Nikon Z8 or whatever first plus maybe upgrade a couple lenses *and* actually get back to shooting a whole lot, including videos, before I should ever even consider upgrading to a pre-owned M1 Max Studio (and leave behind Windoze), let alone a new M2 Ultra Studio, LOL...

I say all that now, but who knows? Maybe I'll end up changing my mind in a year or so and scratch that itch (as unlikely as I think right now), LOL...

_Man_

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IF she's doing it professionally (or probably even semi-pro) and can write it off as a business expense, well, why not I'd think?

It's probably gonna be either a new M2 Max Studio or M2 Ultra Studio anyway, right?

And if she ever ventures into video in the next few years (or probably beyond), she'll be covered...

Me? I probably need to buy a Nikon Z8 or whatever first plus maybe upgrade a couple lenses *and* actually get back to shooting a whole lot, including videos, before I should ever even consider upgrading to a pre-owned M1 Max Studio (and leave behind Windoze), let alone a new M2 Ultra Studio, LOL...

I say all that now, but who knows? Maybe I'll end up changing my mind in a year or so and scratch that itch (as unlikely as I think right now), LOL...

_Man_
She's not a pro, _Man_, so no write-off, but I think she does amazing work. And, she LOVES doing it, which should be the whole point, so it makes me happy watching her get capable tools for her work.

I hope you get to scratch your itch at some point!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks